A humor break

It’s been a draining few days . . . so I figure I’d put up some funny stuff (or what I think is funny stuff).

I begin with something to get the blood pumping:

Next, a quick selection of cartoons I’ve saved. I have a large collection of them spanning back decades. Here’s one with some advice for tomorrow:

Perhaps some of my readers might get a kick out of this next one . . .

For them who don’t know me socially, more often than not, I’m liable to say things completely out of left field. People often wonder how I got this way; cartoons. Like, for instance . . .

Of course, those are the low-hanging fruit of humor. Stuff about bodily functions brings us together by virtue of shared experiences.

Although, I admit that might offend some people with delicate sensibilities. And, if you’re not one of them, here’s a primer:

Still, on occasion, you come across things that are truly innovative and regardless of the . . . uh . . . delicate subject, you can’t help but laugh.

Still, my preferred delivery vehicle for humor remains the cartoon . . .

. . . especially when the cartoon requires the reader to make even a small leap to get the joke . . .

. . . and a related . . .

Yes, occasionally humor can also deliver a message or two.

Of course, man can’t live . . . uh . . . sorry . . . non-gender-specific humans can’t live on cartoons alone. Once again, YouTube comes to the rescue. Honest folks, there’s a lot of clever stuff out there. Here’s one of my favorites. Seriously; watch this one.

Sometimes, things are so funny that it can one cry . . . with sadness about the underlying truth.

And, sometimes, humor can be found in things we don’t even realize because we experience them every day . . . but change how we experience them, and all of a sudden, they are funny . . . well, I think they’re funny.

Occasionally, the jokes are fairly specific and require some background knowledge that not everyone might have. But, man, it’s been decades! Surely, everyone has seen the movie by now!

Many videos I watch end up being short clips that catch my attention . . . primarily because they are poignant to the world around us and still funny. This one happens to touch on a pet peeve of mine . . . pundits telling me the opinion of people on Twitter or Facebook.

But sometimes they just hit my funny bone, like this next one did.

Now, getting back to cartoons . . . I love when cartoons merge with my other favorite form of humor, the one-liner.

I mentioned I’ve been collecting jokes for a while . . . the joke in some of them might escape today’s techno-savvy generation . . .

. . . and some are cartoon strips that no longer exist . . .

For some reason, those spoke to me . . . while this next one gave me a perspective on life that I found useful.

I have a few readers from England . . . they might be offended, but what the heck; here goes nothing.

Herman is an old comic and it’s another one of those that helped shape my humor . . .

One of my favorites (and there are many) are the Mother Goose & Grimm strips . . .

I feel kind of bad for people who don’t see the humor in these. They thought me to think of humor in terms of the ninety-degree turn rather than straight ahead.

And then, there’s Mr. Boffo. I’ve professed my love for the strip loud and often.

One of the strips that started out strong and maybe slowed up a bit is Overboard. As an owner of a company, I kind of related to some of its humor . . .

Well, it’s getting late. As you can see, I’m capable of wasting a lot of what would otherwise be productive time.

Of course, not everything I watch is a complete waste of time. Some of it is highly educational.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, sympathy, or complaining about my life, or asking for help and advice, know you’re  likely missing my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor.

This entry was posted in Opinions and Stuff and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to A humor break

1. Now you have opened up a whole new debate. US humour is often lost on me. Even more difficult to understand than owning a gun!

Liked by 4 people

You made me laugh for the first time this week. At 6:19 AM. Saving this post….especially for the Nick Offerman bit, which really is genius. Thanks… I needed that!

3. mvschulze says:

Just picking here and there…. (I do have a life to live, after all) but …I was forced into laughing out loud… woke up the dog! M :-)

I have attended “The Expert” meeting! Many times.

5. Emily Scott says:

I liked the English one :)

6. robert87004 says:

Reagan and Nancy is the perfect amount of absurdity, I think. And Calvin and Hobbs is my favorite all-time.

Liked by 2 people

Hard to pick for me as they are all different in filling different requirements for humor.
      Certainly C&H, Far Side, but I’ll add Mr. Boffo, Willy&Ethel, NonSequitur, . . . oh, heck, there are at least ten or so strips I’d have a tough time letting go.

Liked by 2 people

7. Eddy Winko says:

I know how much you hate smiley faces :)

I actually don’t hate them; I just think they are a poor substitute for words.

Years from now, when we’ve reverted to a hieroglyphics language, someone will mourn a time when words and not pictures conveyed meanings and emotions . . . or, maybe not.

We’ll likely all be at the kindergarten reading level, pointing at something that resembles an ice cream cone with eyes (but without the cone part) to express what we feel like.

Liked by 2 people

8. Thank you for the humor break, Emilio! We could all use one more often than we get one! What HI-larious collection of fun, laughs, and snort-laughs!

I LOVE JP Sears and I LOVE The Gunfighter!!! You shared the gunfighter with me before and I shared it with a few friends. That vid caused all of to laugh our butts off. (Now all of us have trouble sitting down.)

I’ve always enjoyed Mother Goose and Grimm and Drabble and Hagar, etc.!

HUGS!!!

9. mvschulze says:

Read, watched and enjoyed the entire offerings last night… Funny, relatable … etc. The VOICE in the western saloon 😁 rolling on the floor funny! M :-)

Thanks. I’ve watched the VOICE a number of times for the pacing, the twists, and the general humor.

One thing that impressed me about it is the acting. That short feels as natural as any high-budget movie. Certainly better than some high-budget films. Silverado comes to mind where Scott Glenn almost ruined the movie for me. His performance left a lot to be desired.

Liked by 2 people

10. paolsoren says:

The Voice. lay down misere

I’m assuming you’re applying the phrase as answer to the question:
      which is, hands down, the best of what I offered up?

. . . although, I have a special place in my heart (even though it’s just a pumping station) for The Expert.

• paolsoren says:

I meant the Gunfighter. And thanks for the link. My daughter is doing third year at University in Art and Film making and she was telling me about the concept of “breaking the fourth wall.” That movie is the ultimate in that concept. I gave her the link and she was thrilled. She asked me to thank you. So, ‘Thank You’.

Well, you are welcome. Although, technically, that’s not breaking the fourth wall. The definition, as far as I know (and I’m not an expert), is the characters in a performance acknowledging they are in a performance. In movies, this is most often manifested by the actors speaking directly to the audience. With the exception of the itchy whore at the end (and that’s subtle), none of that breaks the fourth wall. The voice is a narrator, true, but its audience is the people in the saloon.

If you want extreme fourth wall breaks, I would say the movie “Deadpool” is a good example. Plus, you get lots of fairly base humor, violence, some sex (but, no nudity, I think), and guns. Lots of guns. And death. And crude humor. Did I mention crude humor? But, boy, does it have breaking the fourth wall! In spades!

Another movie that kind of breaks the fourth wall (the narrator is the protagonist, but even there it’s not exactly breaking the fourth wall because it is within the context of narrating the movie and not acknowledging that he is in a movie – well, maybe in one scene) I would say Kick-Ass, one of my favorite movies. A bit more clever humor, lots of guns and violence (mostly, from a deadly ten-ish-year-old girl with a bit of a potty mouth). Here’s a sample.

Liked by 2 people

• paolsoren says:

Thanks. I will watch.

• paolsoren says:

I was a school teacher for 45 years. I know all those people personally. Especially the idiot in the suit.

Ah . . . by the way, where did you go wrong? I’m not impressed with some of the younger Australians. I much prefer the older Australians (with one possible exception).

• paolsoren says:

We all must bear some of the burden.
          But it’s a good question. It would be interesting to meet some of the ones you aren’t impressed with and I’d introduce some of the good ones.

I saw some in the videos I linked in the next post . . . But, I do like Crocodile Dundee; does that count?

• paolsoren says:

There is something real about Dundee. Way over the top, but there are people like that. Australians are at their best when they don’t take themselves too seriously. I don’t mean to be overly critical, but all the Americans I know seem to take themselves too seriously.
          Except for Danika, who came here for a term from Ohio as an exchange teacher. And Peggy Leggy. http://leggypeggy.com/

What can I say; you’ve been most unlucky in your exposure to Americans.

No, I take that back . . . the odds are not good, what with 75% religious affiliation and a history tracing back to the Puritans which, unfortunately, the British were more than happy to foist upon the New World.

So, not unlucky; but still, also not lucky. There be many great Americans, and I know quite a few of them. However, I also know many more that don’t quite measure up.

Still, were I to gauge Australians by the ones I know . . . I would rate the country quite highly.

And, no, I don’t know you or ElBob all that well, so I don’t know that I can formulate an opinion or incorporate you two in my estimation of Australia. Besides, ElBob still thinks of himself as British, long live the Queen and all that. You, at least, have a hat that almost looks Australian.

Just curious . . . what did you use to teach?

• paolsoren says:

Years 8,9,10,11 English, History, Geography, Maths, Physics.

Liked by 2 people

11. PiedType says:

Something for everyone. It was the one-liners that finally made me smile.

12. Debbie says:

I am especially happy when I find jokes (like the VCR one or even the Reagan and Nancy one) that youngsters won’t get.

13. The New Pork Grimes says:

The superman one was my fave 😁😁😁. How could no one figure out it’s Clark kent?

Burr. . .gurr. . .King!!! LOLOLOL!!!

But I will look into how that long name is pronounced. . .

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )