The OneOwner Experiment . . . Again

In THIS<<link post I briefly explained why I don’t follow opinion blogs.

. . . but mentioned  I follow many some photo blogs. Two such blogs are lightscatter<<link and 2clicksaway<<link, both run by oneowner, a. k. a. Ken Bello<<link.

I follow them because they offer ideas for subjects and composition and because of the often interesting post-processing and treatments of the photos. One recent post<<link had me attempt to duplicate one of his compositions . . .

OK, so I wasn’t overly successful.

As I mentioned in my 2018 post, I would classify his photos as closer to photographic art than just photography. Why am I mentioning the blogs? Well, because people might be interested in what he offers . . .

. . . and because I again wanted to try my hand at some of what he does. Mind you, it’s not exact. It probably isn’t even close. But, it’s close enough for me.

Ken often offers up photos such as THIS<<link and during my recent travels I came across a scene I immediately envisioned as perfect for this post.

Red signal at the end of a breakwater.Now, Ken does interesting things with his photos.

Whereas I might be tempted to convert to monochrome . . .

Monochrome version of red signal at the end of a breakwater.. . . Ken will leave a bit of color in the shot . . .

Monochrome versions of red signal at the end of a breakwater.Well, I can’t just copy what he does, can I? So, here’s a small gallery of a similar shot but treated a bit differently.

And because I wouldn’t be me without adding something from Topaz . . .

Readers might again see these photos when I process the photos from my trip. Meaning, these were shot with the Samsung Note 8, but I have the same scene shot with the Nikon D7500 and with different compositions and zooms.

To see the photos in their original size or presented a bit better, please visit the associated SmugMug Gallery HERE<<link.

For a full-window slideshow click HERE<<link. There’s a PLAY/PAUSE button at the top right of the screen with the transition set at 5 seconds or you can manually control the transition by clicking on the < and > symbols to the left or right of the photo.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, it’s definitively a good idea to read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Blog Stuff, Blogs I follow, Photo Post-processing, Photography Stuff and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to The OneOwner Experiment . . . Again

1. mvschulze says:

NIce. What IS the surface below the channel Marker?

I do like your oneowner-ized treatment of those leaves . . . really nice! And your watered pier sequence is very promising . . . that is, I’m assuming you’ll try more emilio-rized versions!

Thanks, Ann.

The Nikon shots are of better quality, but pretty much what you see here. There were people who had walked out to the end of the breakwater (and a fisherman) and I wish they hadn’t been there (I waited a while to see if they would leave).

One thing I did not remember to do is shoot from ground-level. I think that would have looked neat.

3. I think all of these photos are fabulous! And I do like the bit of color popping out of the monochrome photos.
    It’s cool for photographers to learn from each other.
    I like your first photo…I love leaf photos and this one makes me feel like the leaves are watching from behind a sheet of rain.

Thank you, Carolyn.

One of the strengths of humans is the accumulation of knowledge by building on other people’s discoveries and adding to them . . . something we seem to have forgotten as a society.

• Next week…probably Monday or Tuesday can I put up a link on my WP site to your WP post on The Classic Editor?

I have a few of my readers who are struggling with WP and I pointed them in your direction…to that particular post.

Now I’m wondering if more are struggling and just not saying anything.

Sue W and you are THE most help to me when it comes to understanding WP/blogging/etc.
        And I SURE DO appreciate both of you!

Let me know.
        Thanks!
        :-)

There’s no need to ask; anyone is welcomed to post a link back to my blog. The only thing I don’t like is copying the content and pasting it in another blog.

Thanks so much, E. Your check is in the mail. But seriously, thanks a lot. As you know, I don’t say a lot about the work but those who have known me for a long time know that the look and feel I try to impart in photos has a long history. The photo of the pier is a perfect example. Years ago, I made my own black and white prints (mostly in the 11×14 inch size) and toned and hand-colored them with oils and watercolors. The oils gave me the subdued color I was after and the watercolors could give a saturated look to small areas, depending on the dilution. It took me a long time to make the jump to digital and after I did, I couldn’t find the right oil color or watercolor plugins that pleased me. As it turns out, it’s a fairly easy look to accomplish in Lightroom using a combination of sliders. Given all the toys I play with, I prefer to think of myself as a technician rather than an artist, but I’m not insulted if anyone uses that term.

Also, I’d like to say that I, too, have drawn some inspiration from your blog. I’m presently outlining a short story (or possibly a series of short stories) about an actual person I knew years ago. Every journey starts with the first step but, for now, don’t expect much.

Liked by 2 people

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )