Classic Editor — where is it?

AFTER READING MANY COMPLAINTS FROM WP USERS WHO DON’T LIKE THE BLOCK EDITOR, I DECIDED TO DO THIS POST.

NOTE THAT ALL OF THE SCREENSHOTS ARE FROM A FREE BLOG, SO WHAT I’M SHOWING IS AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE (AS FAR AS I KNOW).

BEGIN BY GOING TO YOUR DASHBOARD.

PER EVERYTHING I KNOW, THIS IS THE CLASSIC EDITOR, OR AT LEAST WHAT I CALL THE CLASSIC EDITOR.

INSERTING PHOTOS

WHEN YOU CHOOSE AN OPTION, THE PROGRAMS REMEMBERS IT (WITH A FEW EXCEPTIONS) SO DEFAULT SIZE AND ALIGNMENT STAY THE SAME UNTIL YOU CHANGE IT.

I DID ANOTHER POST ABOUT HOW I INSERT PHOTOS.

ONE THING THAT DOESN’T COVER IS HOW TO ADD BORDERS AROUND PHOTOS.

IF YOU HAVE SPECIFIC QUESTIONS, ASK BELOW AND I’ll TRY TO ANSWER THEM (TIME AND NUMBER OF QUESTIONS PERMITTING).

HERE’S A GALLERY OF THE ABOVE:

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at DisperserTracks.com, know that it’s copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intentions, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

Note 2: it’s perfectly OK to share a link that points back here.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, you should read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Blog Stuff and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Classic Editor — where is it?

1. SueW says:

I’m glad you did this, there are lots out there who are still using the Classic App and will shortly be shocked to discover Blocks.. I think my version is neater 😂 but yours is more comprehensive and you kindly helped with addition of my last page.

This my version. If it opens in full do please delete.
    Choosing the WP Admin Classic Editor

2. mvschulze says:

Thanks for the detailed process. At some point it may be a life-saver! M :-)

3. This is an assault course!

Not really.

Literally, just a few clicks involved, and if you save a link to the WP Admin page, it’s just the first few times, and all subsequent posts get created and edited with the Classic Editor.

The reason I have 24 slides is to make it as simple as possible for people to follow. If everyone was as smart and tech savvy as we are, just pointing them in the right direction would be enough.

• Thanks. Very useful. Works on a laptop I have borrowed (Window 10/Chrome) but not on my old desktop (Windows 7/ IE) where I don’t get the toggle bar in the add new post screen. I will write a post on the laptop and if it works maybe I will have to overcome my aversion to spending unnecessary money.

Before spending money, try another browser.

But, Win 7/IE is a security issue waiting to happen. I liked Win 7, but I never used IE.

I gather you didn’t avail yourself of the free upgrade to Win 10 back when they offered it? Or was that just here in the US?

• Some years ago I suffered a major virus intrusion. I managed to remove a lot of the infection but some issues remained. One is that the PC will not operate any alternative browsers. If I try to use Chrome or Firefox I get the message ‘no internet connection’ when clearly there is.
          It is probably time to move on especially as so much functionality is no longer available through IE.

One other thing; some plugins/virus checkers/ad-blockers may interfere with certain functions of various browsers. That could also be an issue.

I saw this cartoon and thought . . . “Ah! Now I understand!”

4. Emily Scott says:

I get the ‘classic editor’ still by selecting the ‘Add new’ option you told us not to. It then gives me the option to switch to the Block editor if I want to – guess I won’t then!

That happens if you’ve not been “switched”.

Meaning, that stopped working for me when I got switched to the block editor being the default. Now, if I click that, it goes to the block editor and without the opportunity to switch.

Be aware that it might happen to you as well at some point since they are planning to roll the new system out to everyone. I assume they tiered rroll-out is because they don’t want 50 million people calling them all at once.

The weird thing is, if you create a new post using the block editor, you can exit, and then have the option to edit it with the Classic Editor (but it’s a bit squirrely).

5. When the block editor first came out I called WP and asked for my classic editor back and they obliged. I also noticed that it is available in their list of plug-ins. I guess you may have to pay for it if you get it this way. I now have two WP sites and use the classic editor for my old blog and the new block editor for my new blog — to see if I can get used to it!

The Classic is available on the free sites as well.

There is a plugin but I thought that was for the .ORG blogs, not the .COM blogs.

But, no plugin is needed. It’s available as described.

And yes, I too use one of my free private blogs to play with the block editor. There are some interesting features in it, and like everything else, it’s a matter of getting used to it.

Really, it’s more geared to people who do a lot more with their posts than I do.

6. Thank for all of this, Emilio!
    I’ve only put up one post since they switched me over…and I did fine.
    BUT, I don’t share many photos and I know some who share a lot of photos who have been having troubles figuring it all out.
    PS…Glad you and Sue touched based…you two are my most WP-savvy friends! And you both teach me and have helped me in the past when I had WP problems. :-)

You are welcome, Carolyn.

I wish they made it easier for people to set the Classic Editor as default. Then again, once you go through this process, most of it should be remembered by the program and subsequent posts should be easier.

Liked by 2 people

7. Ggreybeard says:

Reminds me of the good old days when I was refusing to give up my Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80 desktop computer. No way was I going to start using one of those new-fangled IBM compatible PC thingies!

😂

Many humans are resistant to change. For instance, most loathe getting older and go to great lengths to stop the process. Some even try to reverse it, usually with disastrous results.

The smart ones figure out it’s more about attitude than the status of the physical shell.

Still, people like to complain (I’m no different . . . gots me a heap of complaints about an even bigger heap of issues). But, shortly after complaining, I put on my “engineers can solve most problems, even if generating other problems in the process” hat, and try to find workarounds.

The thing is, if I can find a workaround to something, even if it’s cumbersome and no better than what I’m trying to avoid doing, I’m more apt to follow it because it’s something I control and own.

Anyway, how did it go? Still using the TRS-80 or did you move up to a Windows 386 machine?

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )