Honest! All will be OK!

Don’t worry, this isn’t about the Presidential Elections, COVID-19, the Economy, Social Unrest, or any of the major stuff hitting us from Left and Right.

No, those things are still happening and we are Royally Screwed. I could elaborate, but I think most people have lost the ability to rationally examine and discuss issues . . . let alone agree on the issues.

No, I’m referring to THIS<<link post that appeared on the WordPress Blog.

The post informs us that exciting changes are afoot!

What are the changes, you ask?

Why, they are getting rid of the Classic Editor in favor of the Block Editor!

Just to be clear, I’m very skeptical this will be an improvement in my life.

Edited to Add: I wrote this post because my comment on their blog went into moderation . . . and I expect it won’t see the light of day.

I left them a message, of course, and here it is (improved and expanded) . . .

You know, maybe we’re not all interested in “exciting new features” at the expense of the Classic Editor.

And, in 30+years of using various software tools, I can count on one hand the number of improvements that were actually so (and have a few fingers to spare).

. . . and, in 40+ years of dealing with businesses, I can’t think of a single instance where “for the benefit of the customers (users)” was ever a truthful statement.

Without even trying it, I predict the following:

– “mimicking” the Classic Editor won’t be the same as actually having the classic editor.

This is born of experience that began way back with the first days of computers. True, every iteration gave us more options . . . but also increased our level of frustration, raised the learning curve, and resulted in more time spent finding ways to do what we used to easily do, only now doing it using the “new improved” interface.

– the “best of both worlds” won’t be equal to — but will be lesser than — the regular old world.

So here are a few examples of things that are said to be the best of both worlds:
– Half the calories with the same great taste!
– Improved gas mileage with the same performance!
– Our automated system saves you time and effort in finding the answer you need.

Invariably, we are told stuff we know can’t be true.

– having gone through a number of changes already, I’ve yet to be happy with “conversions”, especially going back through ten years worth of posts and having formats change, links deleted, and other stuff that aggravates the crap out of me.

I can point to old power cables that no longer fit anything, storage media we can no longer read, appliances we can’t repair because no one has the parts anymore or, if they do have them, they cost as much as a new version of whatever is no longer working . . . except that the new version will be of lesser quality and never work as well as the original.

– it will turn out this change was not so much for the users, but to push money-making changes down said user’s throats.

It stands to reason, but I don’t know why people 1) fail to realize this, and 2) keep putting up with it. We’ve trained businesses to offer us the cheapest something they can make for which they can charge us the most money. I mean, even if s business comes along offering real value (they won’t be coming anytime soon) people will rather buy inferior stuff, especially if there’s a celebrity name associated with it.

And, finally . . . I predict you won’t lose many users, despite aggravating a whole bunch of them. That’s because most users can’t invest the time, effort, and (sometimes) money into switching.

That’s the sad truth and it plays with what I said above . . . even if someone wants to offer quality, few people will be willing to pay for it. Some will say that people can’t afford it, but if they did a cost analysis of the junk we buy and discard after a relatively short product lifespan, for sure people could afford quality stuff.

Of course, I could be monumentally wrong and this will end up being an amazing improvement for everyone . . . but — were I a betting man — that’s not the way I would bet.

There have been instances where things that are offered are an actual improvement over what was offered before . . . but, when it comes to software and stuff, I’d argue that the average consumer has always gotten screwed. That’s because software is often written for and catering to enterprise use. I can guarantee that everything WP is doing is geared toward capturing the business of businesses. meaning, they cater to people who are selling you stuff.

And, when it’s not? Well, if you are not paying for a product, realize you are the product.

But, we’ll see. Twice now, I’ve come very close to switching platforms and go my own way. Maybe third time’s the charm.

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at DisperserTracks.com, know that it’s copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intentions, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

Note 2: it’s perfectly OK to share a link that points back here.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, you should read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Blog Stuff and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Honest! All will be OK!

1. …”the invincible enemy” proves science despite the advances of the day and it’s never ending questions, is but a winding road…and in the end, “and they lived happily ever after…”

. . . spirits churn in firmament’s Ether, ever searching for a solid foundation . . . but — they will find — it was all a dream, and search they will no more.

2. Most of us don’t need another major change in our lives. SIGH
    I’m so glad you reached out to them…I wish they’d listen to you.
    (((HUGS)))

3. I agree with your views on WP upgrades. They are never ever an improvement. I am still using the classic editor and will do for as long as I can.
    On the other hand, I bought a new car last year, a VW Golf to replace a 10 year old VW Golf and it is so much improved!

I bought a Toyota Highlander last year to replace my 2010 Highlander. Some things were “better” insomuch that they are now standard where they weren’t before (back-up camera, proximity alert, smart cruise control, integrated bluetooth, usb rechargers) but other things aren’t: the loss of four cup-holders, less console space, smaller windshield, side windows, and back window (reduced visibility), no back storage privacy shield, and more sluggish performance than the 2010 model. Also, the handling is not as nimble and the 8-speed transmission (supposedly making for a smoother experience) lags and is not as responsive. They also changed the cruise control lower limit from 25mph to over 30mph (I use the cruise control in speed zones so as to not accidentally speed).

So, is it a net plus? Where I given the choice, I would buy another 2010 model (new, of course) and I still prefer it to the new model since I don’t use the crash avoidance (I pay attention when driving), prefer using my mirrors to the backup camera, and I really miss the extra cup-holders for long trips.

But, I’m sure most people would prefer the new standard “perks”.

4. Ggreybeard says:

I had a quick look at the block editor, didn’t understand it – and went back to classic editor.

Later, still curious, I tried block editor again, persisted until I understood what it was about – and stayed with it. It gives a lot of new options to experiment with, which my free template with classic editor previously did not have. So I like it and would not go back to the classic editor again.

However, if they are going to eliminate classic editor as a stand-alone option, I don’t understand that. New bloggers won’t join. Some established bloggers will close and move elsewhere.

Not wanting to take anything away from people who have a use for it.

But, let me ask you . . . how easy is it using the block editor to do the kinds of posts I do? Meaning, anywhere from 40 to 100 photos with intermingled text? And, I don’t mean galleries. I mean embedded photos like for my Alaska post..

Because, last I checked, I have to create a new block each time I want to insert a photo and then a new block when I go back to text.

I’m supposed to be able to integrate both photos and text in a single block, but it doesn’t look like what I want.

Now, I grant you; if one wants to have different “looks” for their blog depending on the post, then this might be fun and useful.

But, I don’t.

I like consistency and I know how I want my blog posts to look, and it takes me longer to come close with the block editor and it’s fraught with annoyances, whereas I can jump into the classic editor and be off and running with the click of the mouse.

It’s also possible I need to really spend some time with it and see if I can wrestle it to do my bidding . . . but, why? For my convenience? Nope. At the end of my learning, I will have spent a bunch of time learning to do what I was already doing with ease. And, that’s the optimistic view. The realistic view is that I will have to compromise and find another format that I don’t mind.

As far as them promising the mimicking bit, it’s been six years since they removed the default option to have a picture open in a new window. Every time I ask them about it, they say they are working on putting that back. I’m still having to edit each individual photo after I insert it to switch on the “open larger view in a new tab” option. And, last I checked, that’s more difficult to do with blocks.

I’ll give it another shot, of course, because they are apparently removing the actual “classic” editor and replacing it with a block. But, from my point of view, 10 years ago I used to have more and easier control of my content and how it’s presented than I do now.

I’ll give it a go, but at some point, all these improvements will drive me to get my own website. I already have the domain name; I just need to get pissed off enough to pull the trigger.

Liked by 2 people

• Ggreybeard says:

As to your specific question, about using the block editor for your chosen style of post, it would be presumptuous of me to tell you what to do. You’ve made it clear what you want to do and that is compelling.

I do know that there are at least six blocks with different image styles; and a number of different pattern styles too. Of course they would probably look different in your template than they do in mine but I suspect that – based on some of your past posts – you might have an interest in the “Image compare” block which shows two overlaid images with a slider. Great for directly comparing the processed image against the initial image.

Anyway, I hope you stick with WordPress. They need to accept that a lot of bloggers are happier with the classic editor. They’ve been running with dual editors for the last couple of years, so it wouldn’t be too hard to keep that going permanently – and indeed they surely need to keep the classic editor going for the comments section – won’t they…….. (???)

I’ll master it when I need to, but the point — and frustrating thing for me — is that I have to put effort into adapting to something that is (supposedly) for my benefit. The problem is, I’m not looking to do much more than what I already do, and I have to spend time and patience to get back exactly where I was before this improvement.

It reminds me a bit of Excel . . . after years of using it and building highly complicated and sophisticated sheets based on one macro language, they got rid of it and went to a completely different language. No way I could start from scratch and redo all the macros I had written over the course of five years (the spreadsheets macros were used to track our employee’s pension accounts and generate quarterly statements as well as tracking investments and making sure the money was properly distributed to the individual accounts. The change forced us to hire a company to manage the accounts.)

Word was the same. They kept adding “features” I didn’t need, and in the process, moved and changed stuff I did need. Oh, and charged more for it. Sure, I adapted, but at no point could I say “Oh, I’m glad I had to learn new stuff to do what I already knew how to do . . . only now it’s more complicated and doesn’t work as well”.

Sorry, don’t mean to complain to you. I can work with the block editor; it’s not rocket science. I just wish that once, just once, they would keep their mitts off stuff that’s working.

You hear that, Google?! This applies to you as well!

. . . do no harm, my ass . . .

So, after more hours, I can get two images out of three to open in a new window. But it’s not consistent.

I’ll keep at it, and I have some questions I sent the support team, but, not exactly loving the process.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )