A rock and “L” stories voting reminder

The “L” Stories voting round is underway and a couple of stories are making their move, breaking from the pack. Who will win? If you want to participate and help “fix” the race, you can find links to the stories and the poll for voting for “Alphabet Challenge L-Stories” HERE.<<<Link

Clicking on the above link will take you to the post with the poll where you can cast your vote. The post also contains links to the individual stories. After voting, readers can — if so moved — spread the news about the story to friends and family. Or, not. But, we hope for yes.

So . . . a rock . . .

Look at all that texture and shapes. I bet you can find all manner of figures hidden in those nooks and crannies.

OK, you say, but why this rock? Well, this was one of the rocks in my flower bed. They are called river-rocks but they don’t look like the river-rocks I’m familiar with.

OK, but why this rock? Well, to answer that, I need to show you the other side.

I find that interesting . . .

Even more so when I put on some extension tubes and get in closer . . . first the outside . . .

. . . and then inside . . .

You can see the full-size photos in the SmugMug Gallery HERE.<<<Link

Or, you can click on the individual photos for a larger (but not-full-size) view, or just scroll through the gallery below:

I know some (mighty few) people miss my long posts . . . but, if you are one of the few, there are many posts worth revisiting. THIS POST from 2014, for example.

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at DisperserTracks.com, know that it’s copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intentions, like attracting you to a malware-infested website. Could be they also torture small mammals.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, it’s definitively a good idea to read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Macro Photography, Nikon D7500, Photography Stuff, Photos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to A rock and “L” stories voting reminder

1. Ggreybeard says:

Good photos. Interesting rock.
    Looks like a rock on one side. Looks like a cave of crystals on the other.

2. mvschulze says:

Looks like …certainly looks like and I’m sure is a classic Geode. Great imaging!!!!

3. Beautiful photos, Emilio!
    It’s a geode!
    When I was a little girl we had a friend who was a Rock-Hound and had an extensive rock collection for people to stop by and see, for free. I loved all the geodes he had…and sometimes he would crack one open for us! Always exciting to see what was inside!
    He had MANY other cool rocks and stones and gemstones…I liked seeing them, but, also, getting to hold them.
    (((HUGS))) :-)

Thank you, Carolyn.

I’ve seen beautiful examples, usually cut and polished. This is naturally open (or a part cracked and dropped off on its own. I’ve had opportunity to buy some, but never did.

I looked for similar rocks, and some that were promising, I “opened” (hit with a hammer to split them). None had any significant cavity in them. But, I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled for promising rocks.

You can buy some unopened rocks online, but reviews are mixed and the success rate doesn’t seem to justify the cost. They are sold mostly as a novelty and fun for kids.

You photographed this geode beautifully! Well done, E!

And thanks for the link to that interesting and fact filled website. Years ago I used to visit a lovely small shop that had lots of awesome geodes. I would wander in wonder from display to display. Unfortunately, the shop closed several years ago . . . so I do miss going there.

Thank you. It’s been a while since I photographed macros, and it was fun getting back into it.

I saw an impressive collection in a museum in Hilo . . . I should get around to sharing the photos (one of these days).

5. Hey Disperser, I don’t know if you subscribe to the New York Times or not but I thought I would let you know that today’s edition of The Times Magazine contains 29 short stories, most of them written while their authors were quarantined for covid-19. I read one today and it was terrific!

I do subscribe to the electronic edition.

I imagine they would be . . . probably why our voting is down; we got us competition.

Seriously, I assume they culled the best for the publication (and I bet few, if any, were written in two or three hours).

Unfortunately, I don’t read when I’m trying to write because it messes with my effort, and I’m already having trouble, but thanks for the heads up. I’ll see if I can save them for future reading.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )