He yams what he yams

We love going on road trips.

. . . but COVID-19 has put a damper on the spur-of-the-moment-hop-in-the-car-with-a-bunch-of-coffee-and-snacks-and-head-out drives.

Now, we need to consider stops as necessary dangers because of idiots er, stupid er, ignorant er, irresponsible er, careless people who take no precautions when it comes to both their safety and those of others. Ergo, QED, summa cum laude, dominus Nabisco, we have a limit on both the distance and time of our drives.

A surprising feature has popped up in our planning . . . we look for Wal-Marts along our routes and at our destinations. That’s because Wal-Mart makes an effort to clean their bathrooms regularly . . . unlike gas stations. Rest areas are out of the question because, despite semi-regular maintenance, they are . . . ah . . . questionable even in the best of times.

. . . my experience points to people be having no regard for basic courtesy and hygiene when traveling.

Last week, while looking at the map of the area, I noticed that a little over an hour away from us, is Chester, Illinois. “What’s there?” you ask. Well, we get to see the Mississippi River. Did I snap a photo of it? Nope. There wasn’t anything interesting about it. Just water. No barges, no riverboats, no canoes . . . just water.

There was this . . .

Them be somewhat suspect representations of Lewis and Clark. <<<This is a link You see, they stopped here during their travels. Well, a nearby island, but close enough.

Let’s take a closer look . . .

I don’t think they dressed like that while traveling. But, I could be wrong.

Both Melisa and I are fans of their expedition (we listened to the reading of their journal and read a couple of books on the subject as well as Undaunted Courage). <<<This is a link

This particular display looks . . . off . . . the hand and arm just don’t look right and he’s not looking where he’s pointing. And what is he pointing at?

Ah, right . . . the signage.

Here they are, made easier to read . . .

But, this wasn’t the only signage . . . there was also this . . .

Holy crap on a cracker! Look at all them churches! For the record, Chester is a town of about five square miles with about 8,000 residents. That’s more than two churches per square mile . . . so, you know, a tad of the low side as far as small towns go. I mean, if you don’t have at least two churches within each block, you just ain’t pious enough!

But, what also caught my eye is Popeye. In fact, that’s why I picked this destination . . . I wanted a photo of this statue . . .

Here’s a closeup of the plaque.

He died young, he did, of leukemia and liver disease.

Here’s a gallery of photos of the statue, both from my Nikon and of photos taken with the phone.

The plaque in the gallery is from the phone. Same plaque, different photo.

There’s a decent site for the character HERE. <<<This is a link

You can also find lots of videos on YouTube . . . for example, this 3+ hours offering:

There was a live-action Popeye movie that should join the ranks of The Matrix sequels as far as how it should be considered.

. . . it’s painful to watch . . .

Honest, I liked the character in the comics and I’ve watched the cartoons, but the supporting cast always left me . . . puzzled. For one thing, Oyl was just plain annoying. For another, I couldn’t see why they fought over her . . .

There’s another cartoon I wanted to add here, but for the life of me, I can’t find it. Oh well.

So, spinach . . . we liked it fresh more than canned (but I can eat the canned variety, just not straight out of the can). I prefer it cooked than raw. Add a bit of vinegar (and olive oil if desired) and it’s quite tasty. It never did anything for my muscles or strength, but I get that was a bit of literary license.

Overall, it was a nice drive. Sadly, unlike Michigan, Colorado, and Hawaiʻi, Illinois is not exactly awash with vistas and interesting scenery. Basically, it’s fields as far as the eye can see. Corn and soy beans, mostly.

They do have a Garden of the Gods here as well (similar type of thing . . . interesting rocks formations but different from the ones in Colorado) and I’ll be covering that in a latter post.

And now, back to my exercises, then chores, and then maybe write something for the “L” stories round of the Alphabet Challenge. <<<This is a link

You, esteemed reader, could perhaps take some time to read the current “K” Stories and then vote for them HERE.<<<This is a link

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at DisperserTracks.com, know that it’s copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intentions, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

Note 2: it’s perfectly OK to share a link that points back here.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, you should read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Illinois, Nikon D7500, Photography Stuff, Samsung Note 8 and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to He yams what he yams

1. Ggreybeard says:

Popeye was always a favourite, back in the day. That’s a nice statue of him – I wonder if they are going to tear it down for some reason.

Twelve churches, all variations on the same theme. I bet there are plenty of others that didn’t make the list, too.

I guess it depends on why they put up the statue to begin with. He was pretty violent, so there’s that.

There are always more churches (smaller congregations focusing on a more nuanced interpretation of the larger theme of abdicating emotional and intellectual independence for an imagined post-life reward). I assume these are just the ones with political connections.

I yam what I yam and that’s all that I yam!

Well blow me down . . . I didn’t realize Illinois can boast yet another claim to fame (home of Popeye)!

4. I have visited Popeye village on Malta which is where the Robin Williams film was made. Not a very good film in my opinion. I preferred the cartoon when I was a kid!

“not very good” is an understatement. It’s for no small reason I lump it in with the sequels to The Matrix.

I was introduced to them when I was already a teen . . . not the same impact.

5. Olive Oil of that movie was married to a friend of mine at that time. He thought he was Beardsley reincarnated…colorblind, he only did black and white ink works – quite elaborate. We were such an artsy crowd then. The marriage didn’t last – probably the film’s fault? She went off to Hollywood and he, well, you know, artist types.
    Fresh spinach, yes.
    Wal-Marts – never. They destroy small towns and, well may long boring stories about why I hate Walmart which is so not what it was in the beginning…like most things.
    I do like Lewis and Clark though – they seem to have gone Hollywood there…you know, all speaking cleans and fresh despite the trek…
    Onward!

Oyl . . . the actress never endeared herself to me in that or any film, but then she didn’t make films I was interested in. Shelley Duvall was in exactly one film I liked . . . Time Bandits.

I have no love or hate for Wal-Mart. There are arguments on both sides of the divide and I can argue either side equally well. But, clean bathrooms are currently at a premium, so I land on the side of “is there one nearby? Good!” whenever I need one.

We shop there for some things, but prefer Costco, Sam’s (same company), and Kroger/King Super. Really, convenience and price are what drive our shopping decisions.

L&C had an amazing adventure . . . plus, they had an air-gun! And we learned about Yellowstone. We stopped at their winter camp in Oregon . . . better left to the imagination, it was.

• We never get what he saw in her. No way it was going to last. They did have a pretty amazing fairytale home (parents bought for them.). Wonder if I can find old pix /article of that.
        Time Bandits!!! (gosh darn hope it doesn’t get snagged by the PC/Salem witch trial mental mania going around.)
        If you see a Buc-ees, those are good safe stops. A bit sad. The State Rest stops used to be looked forward to when we were kids – maps, restrooms, brochures…not as wonderful now although we have a list of ones still worth a safe stop…especially with dog facilities.
        Following footsteps – sometimes with all the changes in land by “civilization” you do have to stretch to imagine what it must have been like even here on the prairie. All I can say, is brave ones of adventurous spirits.

6. Those would be some fancy traveling outfits, Mr. Lewis and Mr. Clark!

Oh my gorshk! Popeye! Ha! the comic of him and Bluto is great!

When we were kids my brothers loved Popeye cartoons. I was not into Popeye, but I enjoyed Wimpy and Sweet Pea and their antics.

I love my spinach best when it fresh and raw! But I will eat it cooked.
    (((HUGS))) to you and Melisa!

Thanks for stopping by, Carolyn. As I mentioned, I came to Popeye after I was in my teens. I didn’t mind the character, but the only good part of those cartoons was when he ate the spinach (and, at the time, I wasn’t particularly fond of spinach).

Honest, had I been him, I’d just left and go live somewhere else.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )