Let’s talk about it’s just a thought . . .

That’s two interesting phrases I’ve heard a lot lately.

Now, people use the term “a lot” to indicate anything from twice to fifty-seven and even beyond.

In my case, it means I watched a crapload (a little-used technical term) of these videos:

Beau of the Fifth Column — by topics

Beau of the Fifth Column — list of videos

Knowing people are too lazy to click on links, here’s one of the videos:

That’s the kind of reasoned response (about voting) that made me change my mind. I think I will vote. I will vote my conscience. Not saying what my vote will be, but I will vote.

Next up . . . this:

This is about something that has worried me for a long while . . . people surrendering their ability to think and reason to an entity (in this case, Fox News) that can then manipulate and use them.

If I opened my personal phone to you, my readers, as opposed to just letting Google, Verizon, and Samsung look at all my stuff, why, you would notice . . .

. . . tens of notes arranged under the banner of “Possible Blog Posts.” Notes about politics, women issues, trans issues, religion, guns, belief, critical thinking . . . the list goes on and on.

I write those notes as I listen to podcasts on philosophy, history, literature, religion, politic, and other important and/or informative subjects (usually, when I exercise or I’m cutting the lawn).

“Odd that,” you’d say, because, if you follow my blog, you might have noticed a singular lack of such topics appearing on these pages.

That’s because I am worn down. Weary. Worried. I’m as pessimistic about the future of this country as I’ve ever been pessimistic about anything.

And all because if you even try to have a serious conversation about important issues, you immediately run up against a full-blown Gish gallop.

Not all of it — but almost all of it — is taken straight out of Fox News talking points . . . and in the rare instances when it’s not, it’s from an equivalent editorially and morally malignant entities whose main impetus isn’t to foster a conversation but to divide, instill fear, and ensure the interests of a privileged minority (people with money) are safeguarded on the back of the uninformed and economically subjugated.

I don’t have it in me. I’m told it happens with old age; you lose your drive, the fire within you.

I call bullshit on that.

No, it happens because . . . because . . . word fail me, but maybe this little t-shirt graphic might help explain how I feel . . .

Most of you traded your country for a red hat. That’s my opinion of so many people that I stopped talking about it.

When I used to talk about it, I’d get incensed responses from people who would tell me they are NOT Trump supporters. The funny thing is, when I look at their Facebook feed, the stuff they share, the stuff they proudly post on their wall, what they say in person . . . they don’t look, talk, and act any different from Trump supporters.

Frankly, I don’t even think they realize they are doing it . . . they’re just repeating stuff they heard and think it’s their own thoughts when, in fact, it’s slogans all up and down. Slogans they can’t defend.

. . . by the way, that motto is from Beau’s t-shirt in this video, and it encapsulates what I feel as I watch the progression of American politics.

Now, that’s an interesting video . . . it’s about guns. This guy is interesting to me because I’ve watched many of his videos and I’ve realized we — me and him — track pretty closely on many subjects.

And here’s the thing . . . where we don’t? Well, he usually has the better argument. Meaning, I don’t have a good counterargument.

Why am I posting these here?

Well, it’s simple . . . not only he’s a lot better at making my arguments than I am, but he’s out there doing it. One of his five-minute videos gets across ideas and concepts that would take me thousands of words to express.

. . . he looks like a redneck (he uses the term himself) and talks like a redneck (he has a Southern accent). . .

. . . but you would be smart to pick a few videos at random and give him a listen. You might learn something. For instance, his advice on books:

Yes! Everyone should read like that. Wide and varied. Learn about what other people know and think, especially if it’s not what you know and think. Learn about what thinkers think about. You don’t have to agree with them, but you need to know something before you can argue against it.

Those people I don’t bother arguing with anymore? They don’t know shit.

Wait, I take that back . . . they know shit, and it’s soundbites. Headlines they saw on Twitter or Facebook; headlines of articles they didn’t bother reading. Catchy slogans they heard from this or that pundit who — although they make millions and live a privileged life — purport to be for the “common man” and really interested in morality, honesty, honor, and the ideals this country was founded on . . . all the while attempting to tear down those very ideals.

We have a race problem in the country, but you can’t learn about it by watching Fox News.

You might, however, learn something from listening to Beau.

For instance, most people know squat-all about a transgender individual (other than what they hear listening to bigots on talk radio) . . . but Beau can talk about it and actually make sense.

Why, he can even tell Republicans about their roots.

What’s interesting to me is that he talks slow . . . slow enough that he gives you time to let his words sink in. He gives you time to think.

. . . but, for those who are used to “faster” cadence, YouTube has the option to let you crank up the replay speed . . . you know, so that you don’t have time to think, to absorb, to consider measured and reasoned words and arguments.

I’m posting this as an introduction. I think I’ll start a series where I will pick one of Beau’s videos (or a topic) and use the videos to make my opinion known; highlight it on its own post along with a few of my own thoughts (inferior as they might be).

Let me finish with relevant videos about current events . . .

It’s also worth watching this one . . .

. . . yes, it is scary . . . and I don’t get how people don’t realize this. Smart people; people who should know better . . . they don’t realize this very point.

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at DisperserTracks.com, know that it’s copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intentions, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

Note 2: it’s perfectly OK to share a link that points back here.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, you should read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Opinions and Stuff and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Let’s talk about it’s just a thought . . .

1. Eddy Winko says:

Steady on now, I have only just started listening to Sam Harris. Mind you now I realise I can just listen to Beau I may have a new companion whilst milking the goats for a few weeks ahead.
    I’m looking forward to his thoughts on gun control as this is something I never thought you would move on (maybe you didn’t)
    Pleased to know you will be voting again, Beau has clearly stoked your fire.

Beau has similar (but not exact) views as I do.

I’m curious, however, if you know my views on gun control. Let’s remember my main view about guns in general . . . first and foremost, in the unlikely event I am extremely unlucky, it makes up for the fact I’m a 67-year-old, 175 pounds, 5-foot-8 guy. Second, they are a fun thing to own (target shooting and stuff). Those two things frame my views on gun control.

Meaning, I’m for lots and lots of control . . . but not indiscriminate control. Not control because someone else doesn’t think I should own a gun. And not control because someone else might abuse guns (you know, like the police). Give me a perfectly safe world to live in, and I would still want guns for the fun of owning and shooting one . . . I just wouldn’t feel compelled to have one at the ready. In that world, I’d also cancel the various insurance policies I carry (house, car, liability, health, and so on) because I’d have no need for them. I don’t think that world is achievable in my lifetime (if ever).

Beau has a number of videos on guns and if you’ve read my many posts you’ll see we share common ground. Particularly telling is his advice to people at risk.

To get you started, you can watch these videos.

There are more in that series.

Here is one on a current topic:

. . . and another in the news:

If you want one I’d love to discuss with the man, it’s this one:

. . . because his objections are for a unique and narrow set of circumstances and ignore other scenarios (all too real scenarios) and because there is no functional difference between an armed teacher in the hallway confronting a gunman and a policeman (or policewoman) confronting a gunman in the same situation.

I found this to be excellent advice:

• Eddy Winko says:

I listened to the first 4 in his series on gun control this morning, the goats wre a little confused, but maybe that was his accent. I will be listening to more, he makes a lot of sense.

2. Wow! I just listened to Beau for three hours! Oh, uh I think somewhere in the middle of all those zillion clips there’s a duplicate. I think there’s a Part 1 and a Part 2 for some clip on Republicans but you posted Part 1 twice (and no Part 2).

Thanks, Disperser. Beau makes a lot of sense!

Thanks, I fixed it. There is no part 1 and 2; the word is “party”. But I put in the video I intended to have there.

As far as Beau, it is addictive, isn’t it?

Imagine if our politicians talked like that; honestly and truthfully, and earnestly. OK, OK, I know that’s crazy talk.

But, I wish more people watched these videos. Even if all they wanted to do is disagree, I wish they would watch, and listen, and process his comments.

3. Ggreybeard says:

“Most of you traded your country for a red hat.”
    I’m not one for slogans but I like the sentiment.
    The tribalists would vote for a brain damaged baboon if it represented the party they’ve always voted for. 🎃
    The thoughtful people are the ones in the middle and they have a very big decision to make in a few months time.
    PS I clicked on two of your links. 😯

It’s a decision that would have been made a LOT easier had the Democrats picked someone else (they had a few good choices).

Unfortunately, given the current choice, it’s — for some — very much a case of “anyone but Trump”.

While that’s not a good way of deciding who to vote for, there’s no denying that Trump and the current batch of complicit and morally deficient Republicans pose a significant threat to the future of this country and its purported ideals.

Sadly, morally deficient Democrats are also in no short supply.

Honestly, I don’t care who is in office as long as the people who put them in office holds them responsible. The objection with supporters of Trump and his cronies is that they refuse to question Trump’s and the Republican’s policies, motivations, and even basic honesty . . . all because of a corrupt interpretation of religious doctrine and a desire to create the christian equivalent of Sharia law.

If ever there has been a better and more apt illustration of the statement “religion poisons everything”, I don’t know it . . . unless we look to Iran, the Saudies, and other theocracies.

4. mvschulze says:

Thanks for the introduction of this guy’s videos (Beau.) He certainly seems to project compelling, thoughtful and relevant opinion. His “catalog” is immense. That’s good, and bad. (I have enough trouble with time management as it its!) …Forgive this initial specific response: The video on today’s story, (Atlanta Shooting,) is awesome. Just this morning I was bemoaning the fact that this guy was murdered by a thoughtless, more knee jerk shooting that should not have happened. (Poor training? Poor policeman candidate for his lack of appropriate restraint…etc etc.) The man was shot with un-justified intent to kill, (in the back.) The man running was likely somewhat intoxicated, just awoken from “sleeping it off” and not life threatening. (He was not pointing the non-lethal taser at the cop. ( As a side, I wonder why law enforcement practices don’t advocate non-lethal shooting of LEGS!) I mean, what’s the point? KILL???
    M :-(

The “shooting the legs” suggestion is usually made by someone not familiar with shooting guns, and especially not shooting under stress and at a moving target. Missing a small moving target can have just as deadly a consequence, this time to innocent bystanders.

The point is that lethal force was not warranted given the circumstances.

To be clear, the man was intoxicated and should have been arrested (driving under the influence is a threat to the public). The fact the two cops couldn’t control and detain him (poor training), doesn’t justify them shooting him.

For one thing, he was running away and they had his car. At that point, he had ceased to be a threat to the public. But even if they wanted to retrieve their non-lethal taser, running after him sounds like the logical option.

I also question why they didn’t use pepper spray while trying to control him.

Still, I think the cops behaved professionally and reasonably (if poorly) up until the point they shot him. To say that was a massive and unforgivable lapse in judgment is a huge understatement.

I’m guessing the judgment and action of the officer were likely driven by anger (which is not excusable under any circumstance because we should not be giving guns to people who cannot control their anger).

This is not comparable to a cop kneeling on a man’s neck for 8 minutes and 49 seconds. Still not excusable, though.

• mvschulze says:

Yes, better training, and emotional restraint. This particular incident certainly came at a opportune time for underscoring these needs. The vast majority of our law enforcement personnel are exceptional and above contempt.. The current. ”movement” will hopefully, and I think likely, reduce theses negative aberrations. M :-)

Thanks for introducing us to Beau. And I do echo one very apparent sentiment in the above comments . . . Beau makes a lot of sense. And that sense provides a much needed pinch of relief from the non-sense.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )