To bee, wasp, or not bumblebee — “H” stories voting reminder

On my previous bug post HERE <<<this is a link I mentioned I used to photograph bugs . . . and if one wants a bit of proof, I have a SmugMug Folder <<<this is a link dedicated just to bugs.

Side note: some might wonder why I started adding “<<<this is a link” after links. Well, it turns out that if you read these posts on a phone — and depending on the browser — you might not see the underline signifying a link. Of course, the capitalized word should be a big hint, but some links are tied words in a sentence. I figure pointing to the link will increase the chance that someone who might be interested will recognize it as such.

Anyway, while not bad, I wasn’t super-thrilled with those photos. That’s why I went out a week later and snapped additional shots with more care and purpose.

As usual, you can click on the photo for a larger version, but there’s also a SmugMug gallery (HERE<<<this is a link). The SmugMug gallery offers a true 1:1 view, but only 20-30% larger because most of these are crops of larger photos.

Either clicking on the photos or the gallery at the end gives you a better quality version than the compressed version WP squeezes in the post.

Anyway, the above photo is of a bee. There were a decent number of them on the bush, but they didn’t sit still long enough for me to get more than a few shots.

Here’s a closeup of the flowers . . .

I should have put something next to them to show the relative size . . .

. . . how about a wasp?

I have a lot of photos, so I’ll show similar photos in small galleries . . .

Like the bee in the first shot, it’s drinking nectar from the side of the pistil.

Here’s a bee that sat long enough for me to get a couple of decent shots.

If you are interested in identifying bugs, the internet offers up lots of excellent sites in addition to Wikipedia. For instance, HERE, and  HERE <<<both are links.

For this post, I was mainly concerned with the difference between a solitary (carpenter) bee<<<this is a link and a bumblebee<<<this is a link.

There are whole sites dedicated to explaining the difference and many include photos (HERE, HERE, <<<both are links). The problem is they give a confusing verbal description and then I see photos that blur the line between them.

To the best that I can work out, this is a solitary/carpenter bee.

For them who won’t click on the gallery, here’s a decent shot . . .

. . . probably worth clicking on it for the better, larger version . . .

The last shot in that set shows what I call “ghost wings”, the bee’s secondary wings that lock to the primary wings when in flight and unhook when resting so that they can be folded back.

Here’s a better shot of them . . .

If you scroll back up to the wasp’s gallery, the first shot shows the wasp’s ghost wings.

This next photo is probably my favorite . . .

I’ve been trying for years to get a decent shot of a bee in flight. I’ve gotten a few good shots, but this is one of my better ones. My prior successes can be seen in HERE.<<<this is a link

Here’s a gallery of this obliging fellow . . .

Of that set, here’s a couple I like . . .

And, here we are back looking at a wasp . . .

OK, I got to go, but if you have it within your heart to read and vote on the “H” stories, please do so. You can vote for your favorite of the “Alphabet Challenge H-Stories” HERE.<<<this is a link

That’s also where you can find links to the stories in case you want to read them before voting (you should totally do that). Meanwhile, the gallery of all the above photos in random order:

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at DisperserTracks.com, know that it’s copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intentions, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, it’s definitively a good idea to read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Insects, Macro Photography, Nikon D7500, Photography Stuff, Photos and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to To bee, wasp, or not bumblebee — “H” stories voting reminder

I got stung by a wasp similar to the one in your photo a while back. The sting site swelled up like a baseball. Bee careful around these guys. Get it? Bee??? Good shot, though.

The wasp on the photo looks like (and probably is) a paper wasp. And yes, I bee careful around all insects. That said, slow movements and not excessively bothering them are normal precautions. I think I’ve only been stung twice in my life (other than mosquitos).

Once last year, and once approximately 50-55 years ago.

. . . on that schedule, I don’t have to worry until I get to be 120 or so.

2. Beautiful bee and wasp photos!
    Beautiful little flowers!
    I accidentally stepped on a wasp at a pool. I felt bad for squishing him…and not mad that he stung me.
    We have bushes that attract the bees. I like to see them abuzzin’. But I walk Coops way around them…don’t want him to get bit.
    (((HUGS)))

Thank you, Carolyn.

As for getting stung, same with me. I got stung during our cruise at one of the ports. We were walking around and I brought up my camera unaware that I had a bee in the crook of my elbow and it stung me. Unfortunately, I flicked it off in reaction to the sting and immediately felt bad . . . I mean, how could any bee resist being attracted to my universally recognized sweet disposition?

When bees, wasps, and other insects are feeding and I want photos, I move very slowly and often set ambushes (meaning, I prefocus in an area and wait — without moving — for an insect to land there.

It’s a different matter when near a hive or nest . . . that’s when people can get into trouble. And, yes, a dog’s curiosity can get them into trouble just like humans. Best keep Coops away.

3. mvschulze says:

Like. (Refer to previous comment on “Let Me Bug You” concerning “Like!” M :-(

Thank you. As for the insects “looking cute” . . . I’d go more with “interesting in their somewhat alien appearance” but, OK, we’ll go with cute.

I like bees, but am not fond of wasps, who revel in attacking people wandering through the outdoors. I once was stung by a bee, but it was my fault….I was about 7 years old, and by accident sat on a bee. I still feel badly about that.

I really like the pictures you take in gardens. Even the wasps.

Thank you, Sandra.

Not sure wasps raison d’être is attacking people but since they sometimes nest near people and buildings, I can see how it might look that way.

I’ve not had any issues with wasps, but I do remove them from around the house (usually at night with swift and deadly intent). Fortunately, I’ve not had to do that often and not since I’ve lived in Michigan.

As for bees, yes, people usually feel bad about hurting bees . . . although that might change with the killer bees.

5. calmkate says:

Great shots, you certainly have talent … looks like you grew that shrub just to get these shots :)

Thank you, calmkate.

Shucks and gee-willikers, I just point the camera, and that shrub was here when we moved in last year. It actually needs a trim, but it houses a Robin’s nest (with three hatchlings) and that’s having me wait.

• calmkate says:

yea, expect to see some pics of those little ones if possible please?

I show the eggs in the previous posts. They have hatched a few days ago and I have a few photos but I don’t want to bother them too much early on.

I’ll post some photos in the next few days, robin and cardinal nests.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )