Let me bug you — “G” stories voting reminder

I used to take a lot of photos of bugs. See HERE, HERE, and HERE if you want proof.

Would you believe I don’t see as many bugs here? No? Well, I’m not lying.

And — because of it — I don’t know if I lost my knack (if I ever had one) for capturing insects.

Sure, I might have a few bugs in this post, but they were all from one shrub with tiny flowers. How accomplished am I as far as big bug hunter if I’m basically shooting in cubic foot of volume?

Here’s photos of a solitary bee . . .

Here’s a side view of the wasp . . . tell me humans didn’t pull their vision for what alien look like from such an insect!

Here’s a mix of bugs and a bird . . .

In case anyone mistook the insect in the opening shot as a bee, let me assure you that it was — in fact — a fly.

Flies can be — and often are — interesting subjects. But bees have more mass and hence show a bit better . . . sometimes.

Notice how the insects drink the nectar from the side of the pistil, at the base of the petals. These flowers (holly bush) are very tiny and, as mentioned before, they are one of the early flowering bushes and plants. So, lots of insects visiting the various holly bushes and shrubs around our house.

Of course, there are some proper flowers around, too. No, wait; this too is from a tree.

There is a SmugMug gallery (HERE). Although, the SmugMug gallery won’t offer much larger versions as these already are cropped close enough to see the bugs clearly.

OK, I got to go, but if you have it within your heart to read and vote on the “G” stories, please do so. You can vote for your favorite of the “Alphabet Challenge G-Stories” HERE. That’s also where you can find links to the stories in case you want to read them before voting (you should totally do that).

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at DisperserTracks.com, know that it’s copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intentions, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, it’s definitively a good idea to read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Insects, Nikon D7500, Photography Stuff, Photos and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Let me bug you — “G” stories voting reminder

1. Ggreybeard says:

Awesome insect images, particularly that (alien) wasp!

Thank you, Ggraybeard. It’s been a while since I’ve done an insect safari and this being an impromptu effort, I was pleased with the results.

2. Fabulous bees, birds, and bugs!!! Seeing them this close up and not getting bit is a joy!
    Thanks, Emilio!
    (((HUGS))) :-)

Thanks, Carolyn. Also, I was pretty close and didn’t get bit. For most bugs, you have to annoy them to get them to bite. Besides, if they try to bite the camera lens, they’re in for a surprise.

I have a few more to share and hope to have proper bug safaris once the weather gets warmer.

3. excellent Emilio!!!!

4. Eddy Winko says:

Watching a lot of nature programs with the kids at the moment, as an alternative to mindless cartoons, and I have thought to myself that we could never have imagined such animals if we didn’t already have them. Nature is the master of invention.

Adaptation is a powerful engine. We see that in humans as well (behavioral more so than physical changes these days, but the same principle applies).

There are some amazing nature programs these days, the result of using drones and remote cameras. For some programs, I’d be just as interested in knowing how they filmed the episodes as I am in the episodes themselves. Old-time shows were often filmed in controlled environments and offered up contrived supposed wild encounters with the narration strongly anthropomorphizing the animal’s behavior. These days we get genuine behavior and it’s even more amazing than what used to be offered.

• Eddy Winko says:

I always liked the BBC Planet Earth (I think) that dedicated 15 minutes of each hour long episode to how they filmed it, the dedication and ingenuity of the teams of photographers always amazed me.

5. Pingback: To bee, wasp, or not bumblebee — “H” stories voting reminder | Disperser Tracks

6. mvschulze says:

Really impressive. You make insects look cute! M:-) (As a side, my LIKE button for your post is acting up again. Likely my problem, but …No wait, I’m not taking blame here. It’s a Word-Press Problem! ) M :-(

Thank you, mvschulze.

You might know this already, but I’ve had good luck chatting to the support staff whenever something is not working properly. They are also very good about getting back with you if it cannot be resolved then and there.

You have to navigate a bit of the Help site (but not too much) to get to the contact option where you can find the chat. Odd hours work best for quick responses, but I’ve never waited more than 5-10 minutes even at the busiest times.

At the very least, you’ll alert them to the problem.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )