Remembering the “E” stories are still active and some Nikon P900 photos

Yes, I’ve been remiss in reminding people to vote for your favorite of the “E” stories HERE. That’s also where you can find links to the stories so that — you know — you can read them before you vote, and find a link to an explanation of the Alphabet Challenge.

Mind you, most of us are glued to the news and the fast-pace information cycle of this COVID-19 event. Still, you can’t immerse yourself too much or you’ll go crazy.

Sure, I’d prefer it if you take a break by reading my blog (lots and lots of different content), but really, do anything that takes your mind off the subject, if only for a little while.

Nikon P900 – 2000mm eqiv. – uncropped – 160 ft away

It’s been a while since I used the Nikon P900 and posted photos from it. Well, a few days ago, I sat outside on my patio with both the P900 and the Nikon D7500 and I took a few photos with the idea of doing yet another comparison of quality and resolution for the two cameras.

For me, sitting outside — even if it was a gray and rainy day — allows my mind to clear.

Some people tout meditation allows them to clear their minds and engage in experiencing the moment, the here and now.  I count myself as lucky because, when I engage in something, my mind naturally clears and I get lost in the moment. Perhaps it’s not the same thing — people who meditate claim it is a transformative experience — but I’m quite happy with who I am, how I think, and how I see the world and by all descriptors they can muster, I’m where they’re hoping to get to.

Anyway, being early-Spring/late-Winter, there’s not much to shoot at . . . but I can always find something, even if it’s rocks and bark and leaves (see my previous post on the “E” stories).

For instance, crape myrtle seeds . . .

Nikon P900 – 2000mm eqiv. – uncropped – 50 ft away

We’ll compare these to the D7500 vesions in another post, but for now, let’s enjoy the photos. Like, for instance, this American song sparrow . . .

Nikon P900 – 2000mm eqiv. – slightly cropped – 50 ft away

Honest, some people discount the P900, but I find it perfectly serviceable and on occasion, amazing.

Nikon P900 – 2000mm eqiv. – cropped – 175 ft away

I got to show what the original looks like . . .

Nikon P900 – 2000mm eqiv. – uncropped – 175 ft away – as shot

So, yes, I brightened the photo a bit, but the quality of the original is — in my opinion — excellent considering the zoom and that it’s hand-held in less-than-ideal lighting. Plus, look at how much information I can pull from it.

Now, true, it’s not always like that, but that’s usually because of other conditions. For instance . . .

Nikon P900 – 2000mm eqiv. – slightly cropped – 160 ft away

This original was a little “softer”, again because of the long zoom and lighting, but also because it was windy and those branches are moving. Not a big deal in low light, but I set the shutter speed at 1/800 sec. so I can keep the ISO below 800 and still get enough brightness.

Plus, I could play with Topaz Sharpen AI and get slightly better results (maybe — it’s subjective, after all).

Same as above but more processing.

. . . I think I like the first one the best.

A bit closer, like at 55 feet, I get better results (cropped for composition) . . .

Nikon P900 – 2000mm eqiv. – slightly cropped – 55 ft away

Nikon P900 – 2000mm eqiv. – slightly cropped – 55 ft away

I mentioned that you need to take a break from COVID-19 stuff once in a while . . . or, you can laugh about it. And yes, I’m mindful of people having or going through tough times, but that’s always been my response even when I go through tough times.

So, if you are not in a mood for humor, stop here.

Some people get pissed off with humor about serious stuff . . . I can offer them neither solace or sympathy for they are beyond my help.

So, yesterday, my sister-in-law texted this . . .

I partook in a number of suggestions and both mine and theirs are included in the list below in the order of appearance (I removed a few I thought were so-so) . . .

Gone with the Toilet Paper
To Toilet Paper with Love
Dirty Toilet Paper
Planet of the Toilet Paper
The Toilet Paper Also Rises
Toilet Paper Hill
The Invisible Toilet Paper
O Toilet Paper, Where Art Thou?
2001, A Toilet Paper Odyssey
Toilet Paper Man
The Great Toilet Paper Robbery
Little Big Toilet Paper
Captain America: Toilet Paper War
Batman: The Dark Toilet Paper Rises

As I copied these down, I thought of three more . . .

The Magnificent Toilet Paper
The Return of the Magnificent Toilet Paper
The Quest for Toilet Paper
Is Toilet Paper Burning?

Oddly enough, after a bit, they cease to have an appeal . . . probably because we’re reaching for movies that perhaps we didn’t like as much. Anyway, what can I say? I’m easily distracted. By the way, if you have questions about the original titles versus what’s up there, ask in the comments below.

Here’s the gallery of the above and you can also go to THIS SmugMug gallery to view the photos full size . . . but remember these won’t be all that great at the pixel level. Still, I created that gallery to dump all these photos in when they don’t have a gallery of their own.

And remember . . .

I don’t know if this is legit or doctored up, but either way, still funny.

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at DisperserTracks.com, know that it’s copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intentions, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, it’s definitively a good idea to read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Nikon D7500, Photography Stuff, Photos and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Remembering the “E” stories are still active and some Nikon P900 photos

1. kshai1715 says:

I bought my P900 last April because I wanted the reach that my beautiful Sigma 150-500mm lens just was not getting.
    After a year of playing with the P900 and bird photography, I just can’t convince myself it was a good choice at all. I’ve never been happy with it. I got the zoom I wanted, but I lost everything from performance and image quality to sharpness and speed and focusing.
    My husband I just went out to get a birding day break from Covid, and the entire drive back home, all we talked about was getting his & hers matching 150-600 lenses (and for me, a D7200).
    I think in the next 6-8 weeks I’m going to figure out how to pay for all that and get myself geared back up. I miss my D7100 and big beautiful Sigma lens.

I have a lot of posts on the P900. And yes, it’s not an action shot camera. That said, you can get pretty decent photos from it. BUT . . . if, like me, you like to pixel-peep, you’ll never be happy.

The P900 gets me more than adequate photos for the blog and is a convenience when not specifically out to photograph something.

Recently, I replaced the D7000 with the D7500 specifically for the performance (speed and accuracy of focus and buffer size).

I’m planning to sell my 70-200 f/2.8 and my 80-400 f/3.5-5.6 (from 2002) and buy the 200-500mm for birding and other wildlife shooting.

From tests that I’ve done, cropping an image from the 20MP image of the D7500 with a 500mm zoom (750mm eqv) should give me close to what I can do with the P900 at 2000mm eq.

However, for convenience and 90% of what I shoot, I think the P900 serves me well (I used it almost exclusively from Feb 2017 through June 2019) but it all depends on what your ultimate goal is. If you are wanting to pixel-peep and/or enlarge and print large format, the P900 won’t cut it. They released a P950 with RAW capability but the sensor is the same, so I’m not sure it will be much better.

I also considered the P1000 (see this post) but ultimately I opted for the D7500, ironically because the P1000 is a huge camera.

I also have this post and this post where I talk about zoom and cropping and comparing the P900 with cropped photos using some of my lenses on the D7000.

In case you’ve not tried it, I get my best P900 wildlife photos by using the “S” setting (generally 1/800 or higher) and ISO set at 100-800 (100-400 if in sunlight). I adjust the speed based on a test photo or two. I also shoot in BSS mode, although it takes some getting used to.

And, again, the P900 is not for action photography. BUT . . . I’ve been successful in capturing movies and then extracting frames from them (not always, but sometimes it’s better than nothing).

Finally, all my P900-related posts are HERE.

Here are a few notable posts:
      and finally. some of my thinking on the subject of zoom and cameras:

And, if you read all those . . . well, you’re just nuts, ain’tcha?

By the way, I was considering the D7200 but when Nikon and Costco had a sale, I went with the D7500:

2. mvschulze says:

I particularly like the sharpness (and exposure) of the American song Sparrow. Just nice, M :-)

Thanks. The P900 is OK at long ranges (when no other camera would work) but it can be very good at shorter ranges because it will fill the frame with the subject.

3. Your photos help so much, Emilio! Just looking at them gives me moments so focus on something beautiful, breathe, and smile. Thank you!

Love the humor…great TP movie titles! I’ll add…
    3 Men and a Little Toilet Paper
    Monty Python and the Holy Toilet Paper
    The 40 Year Old Toilet Paper

Thank you, Carolyn.

Good suggestions . . . and I had to go and check if toilet paper has an expiration date. I prefer fresh toilet paper but an old Sear’s catalog would do in a pinch, I suppose.

How about . . .
      Arsenic and Old Toilet Paper
      The Old Man and the Toilet Paper
      The Phantom of the Toilet Paper
      The Toilet Paper of the Opera

I’ll add:
    12 Angry Toilet Papers
    North to Toilet Paper
    Pride and Toilet Paper

Anyway, loved the photos . . . gives one a sense of normalcy again . . .

5. HA! Those are great!!! :-D

How about…
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Toilet Paper
    Toilet Paper Now
    Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Toilet Paper.
    Close Encounters of the Toilet Paper
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the Toilet Paper
    All the President’s Toilet Paper (bet he has plenty)
    Good Will Toilet Paper
    All About Toilet Paper
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Toilet Paper

HA!

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )