A pressure-relieving rant

It might be evident to some that I’ve consciously retreated from commenting on current affairs. Well, mostly. I’ll throw the odd jab here and there, but I don’t address specific topics, not even when those topics dominate the news and/or are of supreme importance to humanity in general.

But don’t be fooled. Inside, I have plenty of opinions and, increasingly, my concern for the future of this country (and the world) leads me to pessimistic estimates about the path we’re traveling.

For instance, I believe both Republicans and Democrats systematically — and for different end-goals — weaken the Constitution and the rule of law as they engage in an ideological power struggle where the public and the public interest are but pawns to be played and sacrificed.

A few years ago, it would have seemed impossible, but I believe we’re watching the dismantling of our system of government. I don’t know what will replace it, but I’m certain a large percentage of the population won’t like it . . . and it will be too late to do anything about it.

At this point, someone might say I’m overreacting and that we’ve faced this and worse in the past. Yes, we’ve faced similar threats in the past and we — in each instance — recovered and came out of them arguably the better for it.

I’m not sure it’s possible under the current climate. What got us out before were the will of the people and the courage of a few politicians and newsmen. What’s different now is the mindset.

. . . and education, and fortitude, and the lack of honesty, blind acceptance of lies, party or group loyalty in place of the examination of facts, and the unwillingness to admit ever being wrong.

Mind you; it’s difficult pinpointing who’s more to blame because we started on this road decades ago; however, at this juncture, I point to Republicans/Conservatives and ask if they’ve lost their mind . . . along with common decency, honesty, and all traces of honor.

Democrats lost their minds three years ago when they decided the political process wasn’t working for them (after eight years spent undermining said process).

Now, Republicans/Conservatives take center stage, and they do so by rallying at the feet of a person devoid of honor, disdainful of honesty, derisive of duty, and arguably one of the most unstable and corrupt (morally and materially) POTUS we’ve ever had.

Republicans openly bragging about subverting the rule of law leaves me dumbfounded, and even more so when major Conservative figures cheer them on.

Imagine, if you will, any judge and jury openly declaring what their verdict will be before hearing evidence, and after attempting to suppress said evidence, and despite the perpetrator admitting — in a public forum — to many of the crimes they’re charged with.

What’s more amazing, the self-titled Party of Law and Order (the concept, not the TV show) sees nothing wrong with this because they’ve concluded they’re best suited to decide what’s right and wrong . . . anything they want is right, and all else is wrong.

. . . and the majority of Republicans/Conservatives rank-and-file not only agree, but cheer . . . and remain silent when some in their ranks threaten civil war and armed resistance should things not go their way, itself a tacit endorsement of treason against the United States of America and in violation of the sedition laws they were so eager to enact.

And within that group, the most hypocritical, cruel, and disgusting group of all: Evangelicals. Claiming guidance from the word of God, they instead reinforce the notion theirs is a cruel, unjust, spiteful, weak, eunuch of a God but one they nonetheless are happy to follow blindly. No doubt, that’s because the morally corrupt can only be guided by a similarly morally corrupt leader.

Evangelicals (and many Christians who sit on the sidelines without saying anything, without voicing opposition, thus proving they don’t live by what they profess to believe) endorse and support this grotesque version of a public servant. A public servant titularly charged with the welfare of all of the people in the US, and not just those who willingly and enthusiastically kiss his ass. They’re solidly backing Trump in support of their campaign of hate and their desire for a Christian dicktator, even if in name only.

Some might wonder what prompted this post.

I’m worried.

Think of the current times and the current challenges as an intelligence test. It looks to me like barely a third of the class (humanity) is poised to pass the test. Not just here, but worldwide.

I’m generous here; I assume and hope it’s at least a third but my gut tells me the number is much lower.

Run a test and see for yourself: pick any topic — immigration, war, religion, race and racism, education, gun control, civil rights, and on and on — and add up the public voices you hear.

Group them thus:
-public individuals claiming to have easy answers while denigrating opposing easy answers and proposing draconian actions.

-those who admit those are difficult topics requiring measured consideration and discussion and compromise.

I bet the first group contains 99%+ of the public speakers, and this includes prominent politicians and social “leaders” at both ends of the political spectrum.

Their message is one of discord and calls for the marginalization of opposing ideas. Their message is one of a take-no-prisoners war with no quarter given, an ideological war that’s already dabbled in physical conflicts and that promises the escalation of confrontations.

Heck; POTUS promises as such, stoking people for the eventuality.
And Republicans/Conservatives cheer.

On the other side, loud voices claiming indignation for what they would happily endorse where they holding the reigns of power and promising to fight back; fight violence with violence; practically a necessity, they say.
And Democrats/Liberals cheer.

Some might say I’m distorting the situation.

Nah; I subscribe to Left-leaning and Right-leaning newsletters and keep a pulse on Conservative and Liberal websites (a few religious ones, too). I’ve seen the shift in rhetoric and the shift away from reasoned discourse in favor of unfounded accusations, outright lies, and calls to arms.

I’ve tried speaking to what I thought were otherwise sane individuals only to realize that under their outward normal façade lurks a rabid fanatic uninterested in a discussion, only blind acceptance of their narrow worldview.

I can’t tell you the number of times I gently pushed back and got rabid snarling in return.

Want to know an even sadder fact? Not once do any express a nuanced or even an original thought.

Nope! It’s sound-bites all the way down. It’s the only thing they can process, you see. Small words, tiny ideas made to sound grandiose, vague concepts that only the ignorant and willingly uninformed find legitimate.

Whew . . . glad I got that out of my chest. Holding it all in was causing major discomfort. Now, I can return to my photos and fiction writing for another few months.

By the way, if you are insulted by what I wrote . . . well, consider you might have recognized yourself in my descriptions. Perhaps you should rethink blindly following a party platform which makes you complicit to every vile thing they’re doing and saying.

I look forward to any comments contesting my assessment and offering a ray of hope that everything isn’t as dire and hopeless and upwardly fornicated as it appears.

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at DisperserTracks.com, know that it’s copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intentions, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, it’s definitively a good idea to read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Opinions and Stuff, Politics, Religion and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to A pressure-relieving rant

1. colonialist says:

I agree with all you have said. There is room for endless pessimism in the way things are going.
    The evangelists — one can only assume that they are brain-dead.
    The saddest part is how the general public allow all these idiots to continue without being institutionalised.

Not brain dead; they’re just focused on their hate-agenda.

At one time, not that long ago, I was beginning to think perhaps it was only their blowhard leaders who still clung to their unreasoning, unemphatic, delusion-driven hate . . . but I now live among true rank and file and I see otherwise.

As for the last part . . . it’s the sane who should worry.

Ray of hope? No such thing. Trump will beat the impeachment and likely get re-elected. My other prediction is that he will be impeached a second time if re-elected. I once played cards with a guy with a stacked deck. No one could beat him. Trump has crafted the world’s greatest con and surrounded himself with others that profit from it. And the opposition party is in such disarray as to be nearly helpless. Oh well, at least we can say “Merry Christmas” again!

That’s how I see it too. The sadder part is that if by some miracle he does get impeached, there’s a religious zealot waiting in the wings to take over. He’s scarier than Trump.

Not in the same manner, mind you; a whole different flavor of evil masking as pious.

• mvschulze says:

In the holiday/family busy time (often not fully embraced as much as others,) I’ve missed some reading, and am savoring a few moments today with this posts and comments treasure. But just in reply to this above, …I follow with anticipation and interest, Nancy Pelosi’s (et/al) delay strategy, Timing is critical in this game, and one (not small) aspect is your reference to Pence. Nov. is coming fast, THIS year now, the complexity and importance at stake is like no other in my opinion ever seen seen before in our democracy. I will now continue to absorb more of these comments from you and your followers…. M :-( :-)

Yeah . . . I can’t read all the permutations of the current situation, but one thing I know; getting rid of Trump would have someone more focused take his place. Frankly, I’m not sure why Republicans wouldn’t want to abandon Trump and get Pence in the top spot.

One possibility is having them play the long game; four more years of Trump and then at least one more term with Pence, someone who moderates who lean conservative might see as a step up from the Trump cesspool. On the other hand, they are all pretty deep in with Trump. It would be difficult admitting all they really have to offer is a thirst for power.

As for Democrats . . . Pelosi may be hoping the current vapid host of wannabe candidates get infused with someone who’s not completely out of touch with reality. As it is, impeaching Trump may take some wind of the sail of enraged left-wingers.

The only thing I know for sure is that we’re in a bad place and I’m not seeing a fire exit.

Everyone wishes Happy 2020 but I fear it’ll be anything but.

3. Ditto. Thanks for Saying it. Hope many read it – and see it.
    Like you, I’ve retreated from comments on blogs and in public square…people can’t won’t calmly discuss without hyperbole, illogical conclusions, bad generalizations – or quietly saying “we disagree, but we can still be friends” and change the topic. Unbridled emotion stoked by politicians on both sides and relished by the media who stirs it all up. So poorly educated, people can hardly be called educated – more like warehoused.
    Walking totally away isn’t good, but the noise has gotten so stupid and loud. Discouraging.
    Cheers for your courage

As you might have noticed, this isn’t widely read. I guarantee 90% of readers tuned out after the first paragraph. Besides, it’s a catch-22 . . . no one reacts well to criticism and you can’t change anything without criticizing it.

• Yep.
        Once when working with researchers, university, state edu dept, we identified a serious problem/lack of focus on a particular rather important syntax problem – one that would tend to keep poor speakers in low level jobs and in low opinion by those better educated, like those offering good jobs – but when I presented an easy fix – doing a little classroom remedial practice – I was told by one group that we couldn’t – it might make students feel bad about themselves or their peer group – they admitted it was detrimental and that uncorrected it would hinder students’ efforts to improve themselves, but, no…might be misunderstood as trying to critics their ordinary speech patterns…so while everyone agree it was a problem, but we don’t want to hurt their feelings or risk getting slammed for not being accepting of diversity…even though it’s the job to educate and assist getting to the next level. Gads
        Your last sentence says it all.

• There were over 127 “home languages”/L1 used in the districts’ schools, so, no, you cannot guess the ethnicity.

The trick is differentiating between the people who want to be helped and those who don’t. Those who want to be helped will at least listen to critiques or suggestions. Maybe they will embrace it or maybe not, but they want to hear it.

The current assumption — and what you encountered — is that we can’t challenge anyone lest they might imagine they’re negatively impacted or it makes them more entrenched in their views.

There’s some truth behind that assumption. Many, many years of challenging unfounded beliefs have left me with a score of exactly zero (that I know of) when it comes to swaying anyone from their paths.

I can only conclude I’m no good at it. In part, that’s responsible for my gradual shift from threading lightly to stomping loudly. As long as there’s no hope for reasoned discussion, I might as well call it like I see it and stop giving people the benefit of the doubt.

4. disperser says:

By the way, as far as cheering me up or giving me hope . . . well, you all need to work on your approach because it ain’t working.

5. A good write, Emilio!
    I have felt shocked at how things are/have become.
    I’ve felt worried.
    Very scared for future generations, especially. But, I do still have hope that things can change for the better. We’ve taken too many steps backwards already, as a country…surely in the future some steps forward can happen.
    (((HUGS)))
    PS…I’ve felt for a few years that America could take itself down, or make itself so vulnerable from what’s been going on, that another country could take us over.
    ???
    Again, all of this just shocks me and saddens me.

Thank you Carolyn . . . and unless you want to get even more scared and possibly depressed, stop reading here.

. . . because the sad part is that some “patriots” want to see the country go to heck; they believe it needs a complete rebuilding from the ground up.

They have no idea what would replace the current system and they have zero knowledge of history or they would piss in their pants at the prospect of achieving their “dream”.

Most are repeating what some idiot on the radio is saying, but, unfortunately, there’s many people listening to those idiots.

One thing you shouldn’t worry about is another country taking over the US. The top five other nations combined wouldn’t have a prayer if they attacked and no hope of defeating the US military now or in some future time; if there’s one thing we’re good at, it’s waging war. We practically make our living at it (under various excuses).

No, we’ll do this to ourselves. We’ve systematically lost rights with every passing administration (and this one is no different) and despite every candidate promising to cut the pork, stop corruption, diminish the influence of money and lobbyists, pork has continued to grow, corruption is practically out in the open, and lobbyist from various interest groups are at the point of literally writing legislature for their paid politicians to pass.

Yes, we’re royally fornicated because I don’t see even the beginning of a process of reining in the moral corruption running rampant in all levels of society.

All I can suggest is . . . enjoy each moment and hope the time when the flying effluent meets the rapidly spinning blade is after we’re gone and forgotten. I mean, if I believed in prayers, that’s what I would pray for.

6. Ggreybeard says:

We never learn the lesson of history. It’s only a few decades since we fought a world war against tyranny, fascism, racial elitism; against a leader who cultivated power through lies, misinformation and populist rallies and surrounded himself only with those who agreed with him.
    People no longer concern themselves with the misdeeds, bad character or incompetence of a leader if he leads the party they support. Just about every Republican in your country voted to say that conniving with a foreign power for personal political gain of a politician is just fine. That’s sad.
    Meanwhile the Democrats were flagging impeachment even before the crime was committed. That’s pretty sad too.

It’s been postulated the problem is that we have it too good . . . but I think it’s that we haven’t paid attention. We missed the fact people have been encouraged not to think, encouraged to always buy the lie as opposed to questioning it.

Now, there’s no chance anyone will admit they were fooled, that they don’t know anything, that they are no longer capable of independent thought. Nope! It’s easier carrying on repeating the ideas that make us feel good even though most are demonstrable lies.

By the way, I again voice my disappointment with the comments on this post . . . they’re not cheering me up at all.

7. Ranger says:

Yep, I too am worried and concerned about the polarisation of opinions, not just in the US or in my UK, but around the world. Unfortunately we’ve seen it before, humans really don’t learn from history.

Long time no hear. Hope all is well (or as well as can be). I don’t spend too much time on Facebook, but I also don’t get many notices of the old gang posting stuff (that could be either my fault or Facebook); I used to get notices whenever anyone posted something, but something might have changed in the way the system works.

And yes, it doesn’t seem any better in other places around the world.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )