Playing with PlotaVerse

I subscribe to KelbyOne for Photoshop and Lightroom tutorials and tips and hints. Every year, they provide freebies to their members for the 12 Days of Christmas. This year, one of them was a year-long membership to PlotaVerse.

For them who don’t know — I didn’t know until today — it’s a site where you can upload a photo and add motion to it.

NOTE: while not huge, these files a tad larger than usual; Give them a few minutes to load if you have slow Internet service.

For instance, I can take this photo . . .

. . . and make it do this . . .

Mind you, I’m still learning the tool and that was my first attempt.

. . . and this was my second attempt . . .

That came from this photo . . .

It’s an interesting piece of programming that plays with how the mind perceives motion.

It also does a very good job of masking the fact that it’s playing a loop of small distortions to the image. However it does it, the illusion of motion is — in my opinion — very good.

I’ve spent a few hours playing with it and I’m learning how to make it do what I want (lots of trial and error).

For instance, this next try was a lot shorter an effort than the first two.

Original:

Final PlotaVerse version:

The one that took longer to get close to what I wanted came from this original . . .

It involved a lot of masking and anchor points and motion points to have the water move in a way that seemed natural.

Remember, I’m still learning; there are lots of little flaws with this final product, but I’m happy with it for the amount of time I put in and because I’m still learning.

I don’t know how much I will use this tool.

I can see the potential for making some interesting images . . . for instance . . .

Seriously, there’s something about seeing a portion of the image move while the rest is absolutely still.

It can be a bit jarring and some people probably don’t like it (I’m sure if ElBob was still with us, he’d have some acerbic comment or other about it).

Like everything else I do, I’ll play with it until I get bored or feel I’ve mastered it as much as I want to (or both).

Here’s the gallery:

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at DisperserTracks.com, know that it’s copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intentions, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, it’s definitively a good idea to read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Animation and Movies, Photography Stuff, PlotaVerse and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Playing with PlotaVerse

1. colonialist says:

Handy, that. Good for KelbyOne.
    I find the backward-flowing waterfall distinctly disconcerting!

WOW!!! What will they come up with next . . . actually, “they” have already come up with lots of new stuff . . . which you’ll share with us as you discover it!!!

Anyway, I think it’s a neat program . . . however . . . having all that motion is fine for only a short time, since after that it becomes a distraction of sorts. When having both photos on the screen, I want to “rest” and enjoy the still one. I can only imagine what kind of stuff will be made to move that will be fun to watch . . . and some not!

This has been out for a while and there are other ways to accomplish that effect, but this is relatively easy. If you go to the site, there are some impressive examples.

As for it being a distraction, it’s geared toward advertisers wanting to make their product more noticeable, so it’s actually the opposite; it attracts attention.

But, yes; as far as enjoying a photo and its details, this is a distraction . . . but, it’s just another way to show it. No reason why a photo can’t be shown both ways.

This looks so cool. I may have to give this a try. Winter is coming.

4. I say WOWZA and coolio! These photos are so much fun to look at, Emilio!
    The moving clouds and the moving water (down, not up) are wonderful!
    Thank you for sharing your playtime with us!
    Your comment about ElBob made me laugh! Yes, I wonder what he would say!

They are interesting, some more than others. Certain photos seem more suited to the effect than others.

And yes, ElBob would have found something to complain about. “Rubbish!” sounds about right, if I were to take a guess.

Although, he sometimes surprised me with liking things I’d have thought for sure he wouldn’t.

5. macquie says:

Thats quite impressive tricks!

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )