Just in! Fox gets out of the rain!

I don’t mind rainy days . . . provided I’m inside, all comfy and dry. That said, today, a rainy and wet day, I went and sat outside where I could enjoy the gentle rain that thoroughly soaked everything. Of course, I was under my covered patio, on a comfortable chair, drinking my coffee. Got me a few decent photos, too.

After a while, I went back in . . . but I must have been a good role model because when I happened to glance out a little while later . . .

You can see its coat is still wet in places but it must have been there for a bit because it isn’t soaked. That photo was taken about three hours ago and the fox is still there . . . and, yes, I snapped a few photos.

That’s probably the same fox that was under the wire table and that got spooked and ran off when Melisa opened the blinds this morning.

The reason I said I was a good role model is that, obviously, wherever it went, it must have watched me enjoy the comfort of the chair and it decided to follow suit once I vacated the area.

I don’t normally condone wildlife getting too comfortable around the house or us (with the exception of hummingbirds), but it was truly miserable out and we didn’t have the heart to chase it away.

To be clear, I’m a big fan of wildlife but not letting them (or me) get too familiar is for both my protection and theirs. Animals have good reason to keep clear of humans and just because I’m nice to them, odds are they would quickly learn that’s not a given with other people they encounter.

We’re assuming it’ll go hunting once it gets dark. We’re also speculating its den might have gotten flooded (did I mention lots of rain?) and this is a one-time occurrence. Whatever the reason, it got very comfortable . . .

The quality of the (phone) photos isn’t all that great because I was shooting at an angle and through two layers of glass (the window and the glass/screen door).

I did manage a movie . . .

For them interested, a little information about Red Foxes:

Meanwhile, this one is still out there, relaxing.

I like how its paw runs through the armrest loop and its ear is resting on the armrest.

. . . I’ll have to give that a try . . .

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, it’s definitively a good idea to read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Animals, Fur, Photos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Just in! Fox gets out of the rain!

1. seekraz says:

I’ve only seen one from afar…from very far, and here you’ve got one on your patio…snoozing! Very nice.

That’s one elegant and beautiful animal who chose to grace your patio with its presence! And I know from experience, that’s one very comfy chair, so no wonder it’s making itself very comfy, too! Love that last pose!

3. mvschulze says:

Awesome! Precious pictures! Thanks for the feel good images. M:-)

4. What a wonderful opportunity. But you are spot on with neither you nor the fox getting comfortable with the proximity. Warmest regards, Ed

Yeah, I used to think “taming” wild animals was {cool/neat/rad/awesome} but I tend to listen to experts and experts say that’s not a good idea. Once you think about it, you realize they’re right. Thanks and some your way, too.

Now you’re going have to give him a name and have him chipped.

6. He/she certainly likes your chair. I am a fan of foxes, they are the symbol of Leicestershire, my home county!

They are beautiful animals. We live in a semi-urban environment and it’s worth remembering that no matter where we are, there are likely wild animals about, mostly unseen under normal circumstances. This is the first fox we’ve seen either in town or out in the surrounding countryside..

7. Aw! What a handsome visitor! He is so relaxed, at home, and content! Thank you for letting him stay awhile and rest! Great photos and vid!
    And glad it was a fox and not a skunk or a bear!
    HUGS!!!

Thanks, Carolyn. That I know of, there are no bears in the area, although we are at the northern end of what could conceivably be a decent habitat for bears. No cougars or wolves, either. I suspect farming drove all those animals out as there’s not forested cover for them.

Skunks, there are as I’ve seen a few dead ones along the roads.

We were concerned the fox might come back this morning but, thankfully, it hasn’t.

What wonderful photographs of that beautiful fox! We have had several visits from an orange cat, who seems to like to curl up on a chair on our porch outside our kitchen door on rainy days. She (we think) is aware that we have several dogs who bark clear warnings, but quickly moves elsewhere when there seems a possibility that our westie might disturb her. S/he seems in good condition, so we think she may live nearby. Love your pictures of the fox!

Liked by 2 people

Thanks, Sandra. It looked like a fairly healthy adult individual. Sometimes they get to look a little scraggly but this animal’s features and pelt were ok.

We’ve also had a cat that used to take shelter in the same area during rainstorms, but it never used the chair (although, I don’t remember if we had the chair out back then). We’ve not seen it for a few months now, so we hope it’s OK. It was very jumpy and we could never get close to it to see if it was OK.

We’ve also had a fawn take refuge in the bushes next to the patio and it startled us when it jumped out and ran off while we were out watering the flowers. We’ve not seen it either, but something did a good job of eating our potato plant leaves this summer. Good evidence for at least a few deer visiting the yard.

9. Emily Scott says:

That fox has a lot of sense. Looks supremely comfortable, no wonder their fur is in such good condition.

There’s genetics involved, too. I’ve spent a comfortable life and I’ve never looked good. And now, I’m wrinkly, going bald, and losing elasticity in the skin no matter how much more comfortable I get.

10. colonialist says:

One SO wants to give him a good stroke, and he’d probably enjoy it until he woke up with horror and violence!

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )