Another all too common modern tale

“Did you hear what that {not a nice word} (liberal/Democrat or conservative/Republican) said?”

“No; what did they say?”

“They said something I don’t agree with, and now I’m so mad! I wish they would just shut up! In fact, they shouldn’t be allowed to say those things.”

“Did they come up to you to say it?”

“No, I read it in a newsletter I subscribe to.”

“Wait; why are you subscribing to their newsletter?”

“No, it’s not their newsletter; it’s a newsletter keeping track about what those {not a nice word} (liberals/Democrats or conservatives/Republicans) are saying. And not just what they are saying but what the most radical of them are saying. I get so mad when I read it, I tell you what!”

“If it makes you mad, why do you subscribe to it?”

“Because if you don’t keep track of what those {not a nice word} (liberals/Democrats or conservatives/Republicans) say, you can’t argue against them!”

“Ah . . . so, then, you have a counter-argument to what they say. Good job!”

“What? No! I just want them to shut up about (random hot-button issue) because I don’t like hearing it. Didn’t you hear me? I get so mad I could pop a vein!”

“Let me get this straight; you go out of your way to read about what people you don’t agree with say just so you can complain that you heard it and feel indignant enough to wish they would shut up about it?”

“Well . . . yeah . . .”

“It sounds like you want to get mad.”

“No, I don’t want to get mad; that’s the point! I want them to shut up.”

“You seriously want someone — presumably, the government — to keep them silent so you don’t have to hear it?”

“Well . . . yeah. I mean, look, (liberals/Democrats or conservatives/Republicans) are the cause of everything that’s wrong, and they aim to make things worse. That’s what makes me mad.”

“But, don’t they feel the same way about the stuff you believe?”

“Well . . . yeah; I guess.”

“And, you want to be able to keep saying the stuff you believe, right?”

“Yes, of course.”

“But you want them to shut up?”

“Yes; I don’t want to hear that stuff.”

“But, but . . . you wouldn’t have heard it if you hadn’t gone out looking for it!”

“Well, I know they’re saying those things and even worse, and I want to make sure I keep on top of it! Why, I even heard they torture small animals . . . and I want to hear about it in detail!”

“But, if you know that, why go looking for it just so you can be mad? I mean, it seems unhealthy.”

“I need to keep myself motivated; not allow myself to be complacent.”

“Wait; if you don’t hear this stuff, you won’t vote for your (Democratic or Republican) candidates? You wouldn’t support your party or causes?”

“No, of course not! I’ll always vote for my candidates. I’m loyal (liberal/Democrat or conservative/Republican) and never question anything we do, and I always criticize everything the opposition does!”

“Let me summarize: you want the right to always express your opinion and views, but you think others — those who don’t agree with you — should shut up. Or even better, be made to shut up.”

“Well . . . yeah . . . Yeah, dagnabbit! I shouldn’t have to listen to opinions that differ from my own!”

” . . . we are so screwed . . . “

~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, it’s definitively a good idea to read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Just Stuff, Other, Writing Stuff and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Another all too common modern tale

1. You have managed to nail just about all of us. Kudus. Warmest regards, Ed

2. colonialist says:

Heeheehee! This sums up most opinions on politics/religion/art/literature. People are weird animals.

3. We are!
    A great write, Emilio! You’ve captured the climate of today perfectly! And the climate makes me sad and frustrated.
    That’s why I mostly just talk to Cooper! ;-) :-D
    HUGS!!!

4. Pied Type says:

Precisely why I avoid national news as much as possible.

Eh, one just has to be vigilant, think about things, find multiple sources, and always consider who stands to gain when someone tells you something. You don’t have to take anything at face value.

5. Ggreybeard says:

It’s very important not to just listen to people you agree with. I like to hear more than one point of view.
    My days of tribalistically following one party and and promoting everything they say and do as right are long gone. I prefer to treat politics issue by issue now. Sometimes the other mob are right!

Sadly, it appears the majority is fiercely loyal to whatever wagon they’re hitched to.

The two things I hear most often is castigation of the “other side” for something they are doing and excuses why it’s OK for “our side” to do the same things.

I have a difficult time trying to imagine what’s at the end of the path we’re traveling. All I can see is violence.

• Ggreybeard says:

Polarisation. I see it in US politics and I see it here in Oz. It leads to militancy and as you imply, it can become a precursor to violence. I feel a similar situation coming on with religion too. As belief declines, the faithfull become more radical. Politics and religion are so intertwined.

I used to support one party here but eventually realised how truth was being manipulated and what a bunch of nasties had taken over.

I have an ongoing discussion about whether religion is losing or gaining ground.

It is, in my opinion, exactly as you say . . . they are losing ground at the popular level but gaining political strength due to more aggressive tactics anchored in the political and judicial arena and all based on fear (unreasoned fear) that they are losing the power to control the lives of others.

Unfortunately, their desire to shore up religious influence in politics and everyday life opens the door for other religions and that eventually causes problems.

Some time ago I made the comment to a friend that I wouldn’t be surprised to see a religious war within my lifetime . . . along with — based on what’s happening now — a possible civil war; actual, not just de facto.

And yes; while I don’t follow Australian politics as much, I do hear and read things here and there and it seems the same thing is happening everywhere; nationalism, religion, and sometimes both.

We are living that ancient curse of “living in interesting times.”

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )