It begins in a field . . .

. . . specifically, this field.

That’s an unedited photo from the Nikon P900 of a field in the Crab Orchard Lake Wildlife Refuge.  It was an overcast day with intermittent rain (it wasn’t raining when I snapped this). I think I mentioned it before that my sole purpose in snapping this and other photos was to see what famous painters could do with them.

Edward Hopper

Of course, that’s an easy one . . . what would someone do with an out of focus photo?

I mean, the plants are in focus but the subject I was shooting isn’t. To be fair, it was a long way off and I’m shooting at the P900’s maximum zoom.

Painters have it easy, you see; they don’t have to worry about focus and stuff. In fact, their audiences expect “fuzziness” . . .

Monet

My out of focus photo would be scorned and ridiculed but the above would be revered and sought-after. Go figure.

I did a little better with this effort . . .

. . . and — to be fair — some painters do try to represent what they see.

Van Gogh

Here’s a subject marred by an unwelcomed obstruction.

Painters can just ignore the obstruction and paint only what they want the viewers to see. Well, you know what? I can do the same thing!

The magic of Photoshop

I did this on the quick so if one looks carefully one can see the tell-tale signs of something gone missing . . . but I could have taken a few extra minutes and blended in the change so that one would only know about it if they saw the original . . . which I provided.

Remember the Robin’s nest and the three chicks? This is probably not one of them but this is what they would have looked like as they waited for their wings to strengthen enough to fly with speed, altitude, and confidence.

That’s another shot at a distance and with obstacles in the way. I could spend 30-45 minutes removing the fuzzy bar but, instead, I’ll ask you imagine what the photo would look like without the bar in the way. That way, if you fail, it’s your fault.

Sometimes, the P900 really surprises me.

I was outside (with the P900) and I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye. Something had flown to a branch in deep shade and about 30 yards away (measured using Google Earth). Not a huge distance but the lighting was poor. I snapped a photo of a bird I could barely make out . . .

It’s not a fantastic photo but it amazed the shi . . . er . . . it pleasantly surprised me. Better still, I also got this shot.

Because of the deep shade and the fact I limit the ISO, the shutter speed was too slow to freeze the action . . . but what amazed me was the fact the feet are still on the branch. That’s the instant it spread its wings and just before it launched forward.

I mean, nothing to sell to a museum but I like both shots.

By the way, here’s some music to carry you through some of what follows. Not related to what follows, but it’s interesting (at least to me).

This is the first photo of a hummer at our new place. Not great, but it’s a decent beginning to what I hope will be many more.

The little rascal (a female, by the looks of it) was guarding both our feeders and was not letting at least one other hummer to feed.

For them not familiar with my prior hummingbird efforts . . . HERE you go.

Some of our shrubs are flowering . . .

We are slowly adding some potted plants . . .

But I’m not sure we’ll do a repeat of the perennials we used to have. For one, the current landscaping is not conducive to it unless I want to redo all of the cultivated areas . . . and I don’t.

Mind you, we’ll have flowers enough to take care of my photographic urges.

And now something different . . . remember the app JWildFire Mini?

Well, I took a crop of that image and played with it in Paper Artist (Android App).

Eh! . . . it kept me occupied for a few minutes here and there.

You know, when I wasn’t shooting the moon . . .

May 13, 2019

By the way, you can click on any of the photos for a larger version.

These next two shots were taken in the daytime, hence the light background.

May 14, 2019

These next shots were taken after dark . . .

May 16, 2019

May 17, 2019

The thinking was to end with the full moon . . . but two obstacles prevented me from completing my effort. One, the full moon on the 18th occurred at 5:41 pm, at which time the moon had yet to rise. Two, when it did rise, it was behind a veil of clouds. Oh well; perhaps next month.

Remember the pissed-off egg? Here’s an artistic version of it:

Remember the pirate ship from the previous post? No? Perhaps you should go back and revisit that post. Regardless, here are two variations of it using Topaz Glow and Topaz Impression.

That’s right; I repurpose photos. I even did a version with Paper Artist.

In fact, I played with Paper Artist and Topaz Plugins a lot during recent opportunities deriving from me having to sit and wait for stuff and things.

Many of the photos were the ones I used in the previous post; you know, the ones from the Antiques Store visit.

Like, for instance, the clown (which I know scares some people) . . .

. . . and the Aboriginal man . . .

And the Japanese Painting . . .

By the way, did you know that Illinois drivers (or, at least, Southern Illinois drivers) are some of the worst drivers I’ve seen when it comes to not obeying the speed limit? I think Illinois could solve its fiscal woes in a month if they just started ticketing speeders. I mean, they have these signs in construction zones that say the speed is enforced by cameras . . . except it’s obvious there are no cameras (or cops) anywhere near.

. . . honest, I don’t understand why I can’t have rocket launchers mounted on my car; I’d solve the speeding problem pretty quick.

Anyway, here are more of those photos treated to various effects and filters.

The non-Indian Indian . . .

Some flowers . . .

A portion of a door’s metallic decorative feature . . .

Of course, the skull . . .

Looking good, Bob.

The old cars I’d photographed in Marion . . .

But, I was also mindful of stuff from days gone . . .

Fall Foliage in B&W and treated to Paper Artist.

A relic from Cripple Creek Gold Rush era . . .

These next two shots are related by the common theme of Yellowstone Park’s famous waterfall . . .

Last, but not least, a haunted Radiometer.

So, it’s late and I need to get some sleep so I’ll wrap this up with a gallery of the above photos.

What was the point, you ask? Well, I’ve been sporadically posting and wanted to do a “heartbeat” post, letting readers know I’m still alive, still committed to keeping the blog alive, and still producing stuff few people care about.

Goodnight.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, it’s definitively a good idea to read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Android apps, Effects and Filters, Illinois, Nikon P900, Photo Post-processing, Photography Stuff, Photos, Samsung Note 8, Smartphone Photography and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to It begins in a field . . .

Took a leisurely stroll through your many wonderful images and found quite a few to add to my personal favorites folder. Your photographic contributions are very appreciated . . . especially those great artsy ones!

Thanks, Ann. I’m slowly working my way toward the next Alaska cruise post . . . nearly two years after the fact. It’s about Haines, Alaska. Some nice ones there.

2. It’s always a joy to see a post from you! I know you’ve been very busy. Thank you for this heartbeat post!
    I always look to see if you’ve including music. and if you have I hit ‘play’ so I can listen while I look at your photos! The combination in this post is lovely and made me smile!
    Glad a hummer found you! That photo is so beautiful!
    HUGS for you and Melisa!!! May it be a good week ahead! :-)

Thank you, Carolyn. Including music often depends on what I’m listening to as I sometimes feel the music would be more of an intrusion than facilitating a good experience.

And yes, I’m glad a few hummers found the feeders. It’s a long road to building steady hummer traffic and I hope in a few years to achieve the levels we had in Colorado (eleven feeders and literal swarms of hummers drinking their way through 25 pounds worth of sugar during the short season).

As for busy, yup. Yesterday I changed a toilet (the whole toilet, not just the float mechanism) and Friday I trimmed back some trees and mowed the lawn. Plus, still heading out shopping.

Before that, power washed the patio and before that cleaned the gutters and before that . . . well, you get the picture.

Anyway, hope you’re feeling better and best wishes for the coming week right back at you.

Liked by 2 people

• I’m tired just thinking about all that you and Melisa have been doing! HA! I think I’ll go take a nap in honor of the two of you! :-)
        But, soon everything will all be the way it needs to be…and you can be settled in a good settled way. :-)
        Thank you! I’m feeling better.

3. Had a friend in grad school who painted in the impressionist style – then it was discovered she was blind as a bat and got glasses…which she often didn’t wear. When asked why, she said, “Actually I like the world a whole lot better blurry and without glasses.” Makes sense to me
    Enjoyed the image assortment and variations.

Funny story.

I’m a tad incredulous because if she couldn’t see well enough she shouldn’t be able to see what she’s painting either. For her to paint what she saw, she would have to clearly see what she put down on the canvas. If she was blind as a bat, she wouldn’t be able to accurately paint what she saw. But I like the visual (get it? Visuals . . . nevermind).

Then again, when I don’t wear my glasses everything is blurry. If I had to paint what I saw, it might be blurry . . . except that if I get close to something, I can see it very well (I’m near-sighted).

Again, funny story but I can’t imagine how it would actually work in real life.

And thanks . . . next time I’ll try it without my contacts or glasses.

• Ok not totally blind as a bat, but enough she couldn’t distinguish blades of grass at her feet in a yard – she said all the tiny details astounded her once she got glasses. Found the experience a bit distracting and overwhelming, so happily went glassless and pleasantly blurred.
        As bats fly by sound and other sense, she painted – as many even clearsighted oil painters do. There’s a certain feel across the canvas – varies with the paint/color/organic vs chemical base. The canvas and the way it is prepared makes a feel, too. The surface may or may not have texture of its’ own – rough linen or smooth as marble if prepared with white lead …yes, back when that was available and artists knew how to handle it – like not sticking brushes in mouth to get a sharper edge. That’s what killed many painters of tiny works during the Renaissance/ Dutch school painters. Ask an oil painter about scumbling paint and they know/remember the feel and experience.
        She was a lovely person and painter – could completely understand that she wanted to see the beauty of the world – and see it in her way.
        Don’t recommend that style for painting furniture or house walls though HaHa

4. macquie says:

Such a heavenly photos of Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge. So did you go to Illinois? I have a friend living in suburb of Chicago. Your photos clicks me to think about visiting her for this place :-)

We live in Illinois now.

Chicago is 5.5 hours away from here and the photos I shared are only a small part of the refuge. I hope to share more as I have more time to explore. Also, I ‘m looking forward to the fall when migratory birds pass this way again.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )