Yes, still here.

For them wondering if I’m done with the blog . . . nope! Still here, in spirit if not in substance.

I’m still snapping the occasional photo or two but — truth be told — not that many since my last post. Enough to keep my hand at it and enough to even classify myself as a serious amateur.

The blog? Well, it has suffered, to be sure.

Let’s just jump into an update of sorts.

~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~

What are they looking at? Whatever it is, it sure must be interesting.

Let’s start with a few things that might be of interest.

Power cords. Some call them extension cords, although they don’t really extend. Most are sold at a particular length and don’t deviate much from said length.

Extension cords have a unique ability that can only be discovered by someone using them; they have the ability to hang on almost anything, no matter how smooth. If you don’t believe me, try it sometimes. Drag a length of it around; something more than a few feet.

The sucker will hang in ways you’re not clever enough to avoid even if you worked all your life with power cords and are familiar with their evil ways.

“Hang on . . . I think I found something!”

“Nope . . . false alarm.”

“Hmm . . . maybe I’m treeing up the wrong bark.”

“That spot up there looks nice, I tell you what!”

“Dang! This looks like the same bark I was just staring at.”

It’s been a number of months since we last hit the gym. The last time was on the Coral Princess and that was not so much a shaping exercise as much as being a futile attempt to balance activity level to caloric intake.

That’s a long-winded way of saying I’ve gained a bit of weight. I’m now 178.5 lb. At the end of the year, I was beginning to see the lower end of 173 so — at first glance — things are not too bad.

The problem is that weight is not the whole story. I estimate I lost 15 lb of muscle and gained 20 lb of fat. Meaning, while it’s only a five pound gain, it comes with some shape shifting and I now look more the proverbial lumpy pear than the svelte (if annoying) 65 years old of just a few months ago.

Dove in B&W

Colorful Red Wing Blackbird

Still don’t know what they’re looking at.

Cormorant formation

On the writing front . . . lots of ideas about how I will modify my three novels but nothing has been implemented as of yet. I have re-read all three novels with fresh eyes and will tweak them a bit but — aside from that — I’m still pleased with the plots, the flow, the characters, and my writing in general.

Nothing on the short story front of late. I still think the best bet to publish a novel is to sleep with an agent or editor but I’m not really suited for that approach (see above pear reference) and wouldn’t even if I were.

Failing that, selling short stories is still something I consider as a good idea and a gateway to bigger and better publishing. The thing is, one needs to write them to sell them. Soon. Maybe.

Female cardinal . . . something you rarely see in most christian denominations.

Another look at the cardinal.

Let’s see; what else is new?

Oh, yeah . . . we left Hawaiʻi, looked around the mainland a bit, and bought a house in Marion Illinois. We moved into our new home this past weekend.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, it’s definitively a good idea to read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Blog Stuff, Opinions and Stuff and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Yes, still here.

1. Eddy Winko says:

Good to hear you are both well and found a new base. It looks to be in a good central spot for traveling in the future with a National Park nearby, a wildlife photographers dream. And thanks to Netflix and Ozark I have a picture in my minds eye of the surrounding area.
    Good luck!

The national parks are not that close but a couple of nature preserves are nearby as well as some pretty big lakes chock full of waterfowls.

The Ozark area is a bit west of us and while not too far, the geography is a bit different. Illinois is pretty flat (more so central Illinois than where we are).

That said, there are pretty good travel destinations within a day’s drive. Throw in another day and I’m within reach of most of the eastern seaboard which is an area we’ve not explored much.

Anyway, thank you and while we didn’t hand-build this place, we’re pretty glad to be here.

2. Emily Scott says:

Like how you just threw the small matter of moving house in there at the end! Time to get out and about exploring the local area and taking some snaps for us, that will shift the extra pounds. Just don’t stop for too many spam fritters on the way.

What, that little event? Hardly worth mentioning, I thought. Just a 4,100 miles move. We do that, don’t you know.

The pounds won’t shift from taking photos . . . there’s an awesome gym nearby that will take care of that. But yes; looking forward to photographing the crap out of the place.

3. Good to see you blogging! But, understand why you have been away for a bit…busy busy busy busyness going on with you! Know that you, your photos, your writing, your stories, your song/video sharing, your comic strip sharing, your doodley doodles, etc., were missed mucho muchly!

Glad you two are in your new place and we look forward to seeing what Illinois has to offer (via photos) in the way of wildlife, nature, fun places, etc!

Love all your bird (and turtle) shots in this post! Especially enjoyed the talking red-headed beauty! :-) and the “Female Cardinal”… snort!

HUGS to you and Melisa!!!
    PS…So are you called Illinoisians, Illinoisites, Illinoyers, Illinoisists?!?! HA!

Thanks, Carolyn, and I’m hoping to be a bit more regular in my contributions to this here effort.

I still have most of the Panama Cruise to document (January 2019) as well as finishing the documentation of the Alaska cruise ( September 2017) and the 2014 Florida trip and so on and so on . . . plus, all the photos I’ve snapped in the interim as well as new photos I’ll be snapping.

Doesn’t sound like I’ll have much time for writing, do it?

As for the answer to your question, the name is the title of my next post . . . which I’m working on in between doing chores. I’m a homeowner now and gotz me homeowner stuff to do, I tell you what; gotz myself tools and stuff and ladders and yard stuff and more stuff. .

• Yes, homeownership do keep us busy.
        For awhile we had two homes, long story..we .rented one out to family of friends and we lived in the other one. Upkeep on two was scary to me at times, but it went fairly well, BUT, this past year we finally sold the one we were renting out.

We had considered going the dual homes route . . . but it seemed twice the work for half the benefit.

Sounds like all is well on the home front, and am delighted to hear that you are thinking of getting back into your writing, as well as your photography….am sure I’m not the only fan who is pleased to hear that!

Thank you, Sandra. Kind of you to say.

Yup, planning to be creatively productive again. For obvious reasons, the last number of months have not been conducive to a heap of creative efforts (although I still managed some). I probably have another month or two before I get into full-on don’t-do-nothing-but-hobbies-exercise-eat-and-sleep mode. I’m looking forward to it.

5. I was wondering if you’d left Hawaii. More possibilities on the mainland . . . in my humble opinion. Best wishes.

6. It’s good to get an update from you, Disperser! I hope you enjoy your new home. Love the woodpeckers 😊.

7. seekraz says:

I had wondered at various times over the past however long you’ve been there, if the Hawaii thing was planned as a permanent move…but I know personally how “permanent” moves can be not so permanent…. I hope it’s a good thing for you and your bride to be in Illinois.

It was unlikely to ever be a permanent move but the original plan was a bit longer. That changed because of a couple of different reasons (one of them, health-care concerns).

Illinois is just like any other place; it has its advantages and shortcomings. However, right now this makes sense for us. Later on? . . . who knows.

Thank you, Scott.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )