NoNaNoWriMo

So, it’s November 2 and the last remnants of Halloween decorations are being taken down and replaced with Christmas decorations.

I don’t decorate for Christmas but I did take the Halloween decorations down  . . . unfortunately, I don’t have storage for them, so I piled them up in the corner.  If you didn’t see the original, here it is again.

Click on the picture for a larger version.

And, this is what all that looks like now, piled up in a corner (I also turned off the cool graduated blood-lighting). I’ve put the words in the recycling container so you might see those again.

Click on the picture for a larger version (if you have a small screen, you can click again to zoom in on a particular area).

It’s all sorts of odd shapes so it doesn’t pile as neatly as some things. In fact, it reminds me a bit of the convoluted knots of Christmas lights one finds when opening the box of stored Christmas decorations . . . I just hope I can unpack them all for next year. The bats as so intertwined that I fear even picking them up.

. . . I should have kept the packing they came in . . .

Realistically, I’ll probably get new decorations; they’ll be easier to work with.

I had mentioned I might try my hand at a Halloween story but — alas — the day slipped away from me.

I also wrote about possibly doing this year’s NaNoWriMo. It’s been two years since the last one and really, there’s no good excuse why I wouldn’t have written up a storm in the two years(+) since my last novel. In fact, I can’t rightly explain it to myself so it’s no use me trying to come up with some cockamamie excuse to feed you guys.

Note: “guys” is used as a colloquial term encompassing pretty much the entire spectrum of gender classifications. To be fair, I also use “guys” for inanimate objects and various animals so don’t take it personally. Or, take it personally and block me, or whatever people do when they feel personally insulted. Or, do like I do and feel morally, intellectually, and in every way superior to others. So superior, that I don’t care what others think and hence can’t get offended.

Anyway . . . it’s November 2nd and I’ve not written anything. Gots lots of ideas but nothing put down anywhere.

And that’s because stuff be happening, mind be occupied, and things be intervening.

Realistically, I just don’t see writing happening and rather than put the burden upon myself and then beating myself up for not meeting the goal, I’m doing NoNaNoWriMo . . . No National Novel Writing Month. If I get away from all the stuff currently occupying my time, I might write a few fiction pieces over the next 4-5 weeks, but even that be a lofty goal.

The good news (if it can be classified as such) is that I have the writing bug, so I anticipated writing stuff in the near future. Near future as in “maybe next year”.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, it’s definitively a good idea to read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in About Writing, No Category, Writing Stuff and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to NoNaNoWriMo

1. Emily Scott says:

Wait, what – some people put Christmas decorations up straight away after Halloween?

Some do . . . Some have the two types of decorations up concurrently and they then remove the Halloween decorations in November.

But just so you know:

September through January . . . they are seriously into Christmas.

• Emily Scott says:

Wow! I like the sound of the Christmas Eve ‘ball of cheese’. Will you be having any traditional feasts?

We don’t celebrate Christmas per se and meals we might have lean more toward stuff we like but don’t often eat (because of calories, fat content, etc) rather than any traditional food or food from any specific culture.

We might splurge on some decadent dessert, but most of our meals are what people might call “bland” or “simple”. For instance, I could eat pasta or a nice risotto pretty much any time and in great quantities. I like cream of wheat made with Half&Half but it’s so rich we seldom have it (it’s been a few years). Melisa makes some killer desserts but the current digs are not conducive to specialty or complicated meals.

I assume we’ll buy something at Costco and possibly get a Tuxedo cake. Or, malasadas. Or, go out and have a Kona Mud Pie. Or, I’ll make French Toast. We’ll see what we feel like.

2. We have got Bonfire Night to squeeze in now before Christmas!

Do you wear those smiling white masks?

We have Thanksgiving which is when most people put up Christmas lights. Or, plug in the ones they left up from last year’s Christmas.

• Masks are for Halloween. On bonfire night we set off fireworks and burn effigies of Guy Fawkes to commemorate the foiling of the Catholic Gunpowder Plot to blow up King James in 1605. It is becoming less popular now because bonfires and fireworks are more dangerous than trick or treating!

3. HA! You’re a great pile-r! That made me snort-laugh!
    Here’s a motto: “Write when the bug bites…or just bite the bug back and don’t write.”
    You’ll be writing again soon. :-)
    I don’t like this time between Halloween and Christmas. Speaking of bugs…the Christmas stuff beginning even before Halloween bugs me. Ha.
    HUGS, no bugs!!!

Thank you, Carolyn. Making people laugh is a major goal in life (made easier by the way I look).

The Holidays are not anything special for us, but I don’t mind the music. Although, even then, it’s not like there are that many great Christmas songs, so by the time the actual day comes around, we’re kind of tired of hearing the same ones.

That also applies to Hawaiian music; as a tourist, it was a lot more palatable because we were only here for a few weeks at a time.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )