Project 313 – Post No. 146

This is the fourth post in under one hour of effort. Boy, I’m cranking through these without regard for quality or substance . . . not that anyone will notice the difference. No, not being self-deprecating . . . I’m just that good at everything I do no matter the effort I put into it.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

We do that, don’t we? We make stories in which we are the protagonists. Something happens and the memory you form of the event has you and any other people represented as characters in a story used to recount the event going forward.

And, it’s not like these stories are written in stone. Nope; it’s more like a cork board where we pin various snippets, bits of information, and then arrange and rearrange to suit the story we like to hear.

This isn’t me just making stuff up. Repeated tests on varied populations of subjects prove this conclusively. Memories are not perfect recordings. Events are seldom correctly remembered. Have you ever looked at a photo — even one you took — and were surprised because that’s not how you remembered things? Ever argued with family or friends over shared events remembered differently?

Some think, and I agree, this all has to do with the story we’d like to tell ourselves about ourselves. For instance, we’re seldom villains. Even when we can’t really see ourselves as heroes, we opt for victim instead of the villain.

Understand, I’m not denying heroism, victimhood, and anything in between. But, I don’t know — and I’ve never known — anyone who sees themselves as the mustache-twirling-while-maniacally-laughing-villain.

I mentioned photos and these days photos are as unreliable as our memories. That’s because we pose . . . we offer up photos depicting ourselves and events the way we wish them to be.

It’s a bit like when you have company over; you clean a little better, dress a little better, and avoid loudly burping, farting, or doing anything that at any other time might come natural but may be counter to a socially accepted version of reality.

There’s one thing that might help you remember your life with a bit more accuracy (if you’re honest with yourself) . . . a diary.

I don’t keep one because I have perfect recall, but others should certainly consider keeping a diary since they so often contradict my perfect memory of things.

And now, the photo:

Project 313 146

Another version of this most-interesting flower.

This next cartoon — aside from being funny — has one thing that differentiates it from most of Joe Martin’s offerings. See if you can spot it.

There’s no breaking of the Fourth Wall; no one is looking back at the reader. I just noticed it as I posted it here. I’ll now have to see if that happens in other offerings of his.

I’ve shown pretty snazzy versions of the Woobly Wheel of Time but there was a time, long ago, when the wheel was made from whatever material was at hand.

Like . . . The Wooden Wobbly Wheel of Time.

The Wooden Wobbly Wheel of Time

And . . . that’s it

Some of these posts will likely be longer as the mood hits me, but most will be thus; short, uninteresting, bland, and relentless.

You can read about Project 313 HERE.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, it’s definitively a good idea to read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Project 313 and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Project 313 – Post No. 146

1. GP Cox says:

Sometimes when one blogger puts out too many posts, readers have to scan to keep up. I wish I could get that through to some of the blogs I look at every day who put in 3 – 20 posts per day!! I can only read so much so fast.

2. I once had too much to drink and accused a man twice my size and half my age of cheating in a pub quiz (he was cheating, he was definitely cheating) no one else dared challenge him but it was a stupid thing to do and he punched me in the face and knocked me out. I have never told the story differently. Around these parts I am famous for being punched unconscious in a non-contact sport!

OK . . . would it follow that none of the stories and memories you hold have been altered in their retelling over time?

Even in the above story, your statement may be broadly correct if that’s all you say but what if you start adding details? Who else was there, where they were standing, what they said, etc. etc.? How confident are you that particulars haven’t changed with each retelling.

Also, you were drunk at the time . . . how well do people remember stuff they did when drunk? Drunks I’m familiar with have a poor ability to recollect accurately what happened and what they did while drunk. Often, they rely on the accounts of others . . . accounts that differ from individual to individual. What if one of the people who were there contradict the cheating bit? After all, eyewitnesses have been proven as notoriously unreliable . . . and that includes ourselves.

All I’m saying is that even the most well-intentioned individual can be mistaken by virtue of the fact we don’t have perfect memories and construct scenarios to fit our recollection. For instance, you say the guy was cheating . . . right after you tell me you had too much to drink and admit your judgment was impaired. How much credence should I put to your version of events? Not questioning the end result, mind you, but I’ve had drunks tell me “I really love you, man!” when that was clearly not the case.

3. Recently, I found one of my diaries from when I was a teenager. It was interesting. Ha. Quoting Forrest Gump, “That’s all I have to say about that.”

PHOTO: Beautiful! That flower always reminds me of fireworks!
    CARTOON: Yep, the dudes are focused on Willy. And Ethel is focused on her ironing. I imagine Willy gets in a lot of sleep-time.
    DOODLE: Woody, indeed!
    Happy Almost-Friday and HUGS!!! :-)

I’ve come across some of my writing from my teens and other from my twenties. Some views and conclusions may have slightly changed, but I was glad to see the discovery process and the use of logic and reason were in evidence even back then. What changed is the accumulated data/facts in the intervening years. Now, that’s only as far as opinions are concerned.

Actions are another matter. Melisa and I often have differing memories of shared events (understandable as memories are made up in part by impressions and reactions to things and our point of view or perspective) and sometimes one or the other of us is wrong and occasionally, we’re both wrong. And yes, we often remember the same thing which helps in having confidence in the memory.

Happy almost weekend to you as well.

4. colonialist says:

I have wondered why you discontinued your action stories. You were good at it and I would have expected to see a book or several offered in your sidebar.
    The cartoon has irony! :)

Mainly, I’m not focused. I’m still (sporadically) cleaning up the Gin story and will tackle the other two books and will eventually do something with them, but I don’t feel this overwhelming rush to do anything.

That said, I appreciate the vote of confidence in my writing.

5. I never knew you had regard for quality. When can we expect some?

Cleverer and cleverer . . . but, to give a serious answer, I doubt if you’ll ever see quality regardless of how much of it you stumble on.

It’s like me and art . . . I just can’t get excited about the Mona Lisa or Michelangelo’s David; they look nice and all, but without having any experience at producing paintings and sculptures, I have no idea how to differentiate between them and a photo of a bunch of dogs playing poker.

Luckily for da Vinci and Michelangelo (and me), there are people who can discern the marks of quality and exalt them to the world. Obviously, they have more people doing that for them than I do . . . for now.

• I hope Susan, Carolyn, Phil, Lesley, Derrick, et al don’t read your reply, they’d feel terribly insulted :D

I always marvel at the way you process things . . . I’m actually paying them a compliment as connoisseurs of fine art.

Also, I couple of those don’t follow my blog so I imagine they wouldn’t be terribly insulted in the first place.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )