Samsung Note 8 and Photoshop Mix — Post Three

My third post showcasing my experiments in using Photoshop Mix (Post One link, Post Two link).

Once again, everything in here has been created and/or captured using the Samsung Note 8 and all edits are done on the Samsung Note 8. I then transfer the files to the PC so that I can output them using Lightroom (how I add the Dispersertracks.com watermark).

For them not interested in reading, you can go directly to the SmugMug Gallery HERE.
For a slideshow click HERE. When you click the link, it will open in a new window and you have two options:
1) Manually scroll through the photos by clicking the “<” and “>” symbols to the left or right of the photos.
2) There’s a PLAY/PAUSE button at the bottom-left of the screen with the transition set at about 5 seconds. Note: clicking the PLAY arrow will run a full-screen slideshow. You can then still use the”<” and “>” symbols to the left or right of the photos as this will pause the slideshow.

If you want the full experience, keep reading

Photoshop Mix lets you take any number of photos, apply basic “looks” and then blend them in various ways. Depending on the blend, the structure (edges and or textures) don’t appear in an obvious way. Instead, the colors combine to produce new blends of colors.

In the case above, it’s a sketch I had made a few months ago combined with a picture of a small ghost finger puppet/figure I have. The interesting thing is that I created this mix just before learning of the Pittsburgh Grand Jury report on that diocese’s activities . . . I found the above mix quite appropriate. So much so that I processed it through paper Artist to give me a B&W version.

I’m having a difficult time deciding which looks more ominous and more apropos . . . let’s just say they each capture ghosts the Catholic Church would rather remain buried.

Let’s go back to a lighter visual subject . . . more Bagel Faces blended with mandala doodles . . .

The faces had me think of various dolls I’d previously captured at different antique shops. This next shot is one such (life-size) doll and a mural and some doodles mixed in for good measure.

Here is the same doll with a different mural and doodle mix . . .

I came across a gargoyle mask from one of the antique shops in Colorado Springs (circa 2013) and thought it might get me something interesting . . .

. . . hope I done not scared anyone . . .

Here’s a more benign face . . . a photo of a carving on a piece of antique furniture mixed with a doodle and a photo of a sunset.

Here’s the sunset once more, this time mixed with a face mask and one of my doodles.

When I saw the above, I knew right away of another doll face I wanted to use with some of my doodles . . .

Since I had more photos of dolls, I tried this one with fabric rolls from a quilting shop and one of my doodles.

Here’s another version of the above with different blending options . . .

I’ll stop here because I have a few more of the same doll and I figure I’ll leave them for the next post in the series.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, it’s definitively a good idea to read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Photo Post-processing, Photography Stuff, Samsung Note 8, Smartphone Photography and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Samsung Note 8 and Photoshop Mix — Post Three

1. Nick says:

These are good.

2. Nick says:

Your “Church Monster” image reminds me that there are 1000 DOCUMENTED cases of children being sexually molested in Pennsylvania alone. There are 50 states in this country. There are hundreds of countries around the globe where Catholic leadership pedophiles lurk. One must conclude that there are hundreds of thousands of children molested by pedophillic priests across the globe. If he Catholic Church were a corporation we would have dissolved it, through bankruptcy, in 1985 when these Revelations first surfaced. Instead we accept their anemic public utterances of the need to weed out the few bad apples. If you are Catholic and don’t demand accountability from your church you are as complicit as any Imam who didn’t condemn the 911 bombings.

If you want to get mad and depressed and confirm the truth in Matthew’s 7:7 “seek and ye shall find” see if you can find (on Netflix) and watch “The Keepers” about systemic abuse in Baltimore:

I agree it’s widespread; what’s also lost is that while the Catholic church is guilty of systemic coverups, they are by no means the only religious entity fraught with abuse scandals.

Those cover major scandals but smaller communities suffer from the same problem.

To be fair, any organization where a power structure with little to no accountability is the norm is likely to have serious abuses . . . it’s just that one get’s multiple times more indignant when children are involved.

One thing that has always pissed me off to no end since I began reading about this (also in the 1980s) are the phrases “paid compensation” or “settled out of court” or any such thing.

I cannot see any scenario where if my child (if I had one) was abused I would settle for anything less than the perpetrators going to jail. Actually, execution would be preferable but I would settle for life in prison.

The fact that hush money worked to keep this from exploding more forcefully for so many years is an indictment not just of the church but of parents who are willing to essentially put others at risk for personal profit.

That might sound harsh, but that’s just how I see it. Perhaps not in all cases (sometimes law enforcement sides with the church and leaves the victims without recourse) but in many of the cases, it seems the families profited from the abuse.

Of course, there are the faithful themselves . . . I have no words that describe my feeling about the willingness to not only wear blinders but defend the church and even castigate those who would raise a criticism of the institution.

3. I am really enjoying these mash-up-fushion-blending of photos!
    That first one…especially the B&W version is powerful and very timely! Such sad, disturbing news coming from Philadelphia.
    The dolls and faces photos are very cool! I really like the one with oranges and greens and pink dots!

Thank you, Carolyn.

It’s nice having a few people enjoy what are basically spur-of-the-moment efforts.

And yes . . . that first pair fits all too well.

As for the doo blends, some work really with the pole dancing octopus (or starfish) variation blends.

4. mvschulze says:

I admit I am trying to catch up a bit here, and reading posts out of order – but YIKES, more scary stuff. (and I’m talking about the images.!) But the real scary stuff is the child abuses. Who can you trust? M :-(

As I said above, any system with a power structure should have robust mechanisms in place (preferably independent of the powerful themselves) to oversee and follow up on abuses and misconduct. We’ve seen it in all institutions in all society so you would think we would have learned by now that the typical person can’t be trusted once they are placed in a position of power. It’s not just sexual abuse; power over others lends itself to all manner of abuses.

Sadly, we can see it in government right now, but it’s always been present in businesses and make no mistake, the Church is a business. The people at the top make a lot of money and live as comfortably as most kings.

5. Catching up on my email as you’ve probably noticed. Should have given this one a miss

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )