Project 313 – Post No. 108

It’s actually Saturday as I write this . . . and I’m a tad annoyed.

Not an unusual thing, that. I mean, I’m fairly easy-going . . . in a constantly-annoyed-kind-of-way.

Honest, from other drivers to neighbors to politics to religion to people in general . . . there be a lot of annoyance to be had. Most, I brush under the corner of my subconscious much like some people sweep their dirt under the carpet so that it’s out of sight.

Sometimes, the dirt flings back the carpet and screams at you to notice it.

Such was the case at the gym. Usually, the locker room is fairly quiet. I think the place is losing business to competitors who have working A/C units, working hot-water, clean — and working — showers, clean lockers, and a friendly staff who seems interested in all the patrons and not just the ones they personally know.

That’s not why the locker room is quiet, though; those are just general observations. The reason it’s quiet is that few people seem to shower. The grime probably puts them off. Or maybe is the poorly-functioning showers. Or the drains that almost — but not quite — function as such. But I digress . . .

Today (this, again, being Saturday as I write this) I entered the locker room after my workout and reveled in the quiet of the place . . . and then, the music started. Not just started; blared. Someone was taking a shower and had put a mini-boom-box on the floor near the rest of their stuff (brave that; them floors are not exactly clean) and was playing music while they showered.

Side Note: for some reason, when people do shower, most take what I would call an inordinate amount of time. Mind you, I’m not a shower speed demon, but eight minutes is about the most I’ll spend washing and rinsing. Some people are in the shower when I enter the locker room, while I change and get my towel and soap, while I take my shower, while I towel-off, while I get dressed, and I usually hear the water turn off just as I’m walking out of the locker room. Weird.

Anyway, this music was loud. Very loud. Also, it was some kind of island-rap stuff.

Basically, lots of noise, some swearing, and simplistic and repetitive beats. I mean, I didn’t puke or anything like that, but I also could have done without hearing it for the 15 minutes I spent in the locker room.

Understand, it’s not just the music. It’s the idea of it. This young person (it was a young person) gave no thought whatsoever about anyone else. Imagine if I were the same way and we’d have two (or more) boom-boxes blaring out different music in a loud volume in an enclosed space. I’d probably be playing THIS . . . it would make for an interesting mix.

I don’t think the guy was a jerk . . . I honestly think it didn’t occur to him that his rights stopped at the border of other people’s rights.

And that’s what has me irritated. Not the music . . . but the fact it reminded me the majority of the population is exactly like that person; they have no concept of being mindful of the rights of others, or of the well-being of others, or that others might be impacted by their actions.

I suppose I should have said something . . . but, realistically, there’s no way to say anything in those kinds of situations without making it seem that you’re both complaining (you are) and that you think the other guy is an asshole (you do).

That’s why I’m irritated . . . everyone should think about how they are presenting themselves to others and be more self-aware of their own behavior by performing the simple mental experiment whereas they put themselves in the other person’s shoes or even imagine themselves subjected to unwanted public behavior.

We can talk about the bigger problems of society, but that is where they all start . . . when we give no consideration to others and favor only what we want.

Apparently, it’s now the American Way.

And now, the photo:

Project 313-108

That’s one of Melisa’s latest quilting efforts. It’s a practice panel and it’s not yet quilted, but it’s put together. She’s also put together a three-pineapple version of the above (obviously, longer). I was a tad skeptical of the colors but they work well with each other.

I’ll be showing variations of that photo; variations subjected to the many plugins I have that can turn a photo of a work of art into a different work of art.
Speaking of people and the future (we were speaking about that, right?) I find this cartoon appropriate.

Mind you, it’s not to say my generation was any better focused . . . but, at least, we knew how hats were designed to be worn.

. . . perhaps that was our problem all along . . . that, and multiplying like rabbits.
The idea we’re multiplying like rabbits doesn’t seem to worry many people (but, ask Australians how they feel about rabbits) . . . Me? I worry about there being Not Many Open Spaces Left.

Not Many Open Spaces Left

And . . . that’s it
Some of these posts will likely be longer as the mood hits me, but most will be thus; short, uninteresting, bland, and relentless.
You can read about Project 313 HERE.

Note: if you are not reading this blog post at DisperserTracks.com, know that it has been copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intention, like attracting you to a malware-infested website. Could be they also torture small mammals.

If you’re new to this blog, it might be a good idea to read the FAQ page. If you’re considering subscribing to this blog, it’s definitively a good idea to read both the About page and the FAQ page.

This entry was posted in Project 313 and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Project 313 – Post No. 108

1. Debbie says:

Love the pineapple quilt – if she designed that herself – kudos. It really exudes the essence of a pineapple – the “skin” with its weaving back and forth and yes the colors work. I also like how the triangles on the frame echo the leaves – that prickly feeling that you’d better watch out.

Oh and the shower guy was rude. Not a sign of the times, just rude. It’s not the way it is today -it’s the way it’s always been. Some people either don’t have a clue or don’t care.

Yes the press and social media keeps waving the red flag hoping to get your attention (and clicks) and n ways that tick off even the most mild-mannered of us – but “real” people are still civil, still care about offending others, still go out of their way to help their neighbor, regardless of how they voted. I don’t live in a fantasyland (although I admit I love to visit). I live in the Midwest near an urban area. There are rude people here too, but they are not the norm.

She bought the pattern but the color choices are hers.

I’m planning to do a post showcasing some of her quilting projects.

Rudeness — for me — entails actual interaction although I suppose it could be broadened to include indirect actions. The thing is, I remember reading an article back in the 80s about the breakdown of civility and the rise of rudeness (an epidemic, they called it) . . . Personally, I don’t think it’s changed that much. What has changed are the number of people out and about . . . meaning, the percentage of assholes has probably only marginally increased but there are more of them because there are more people.

I often comment about Japanese tourists. Basically, almost everywhere I’ve been, if a busload of Japanese tourists arrive (or are already there), I’m prepared to be shoved aside, have people cut in front of me, and I expect to witness what at first glance is very rude behavior.

I don’t know for sure, but I attribute it to one (or both) of two theories . . . either they regard non-Japanese as inconsequential or they live in such crowded environments that when in public you can’t afford to be considerate or you’ll never get anywhere.

As for the young man in the shower, I’m guessing (but don’t know) that his parents never instilled in him the idea of being considerate to others. This, in part, is a problem with each younger generation where (per what I witness) from a very young age are treated as if they are the only thing that matters (spoiled is a good word). I’m not sure he was even conscious of the fact he was being an asshole . . . doing what he liked was just “the way things are” as I think very few people go out of their way to be assholes (although, I’ve met a few of those as well).

2. paolsoren says:

I started reading. Bit boring. Bit silly. Is the stupid bastard going to reach his usual depths of blandness and pathos. Then I clicked on the link for Chicken Attack. I haven’t laughed as much for so long. If your blog has accomplished nothing up until now, then let me say, you have reached the heights of the sublime.

That seems a bit of a contradictory comment or, at least, that is the incorrect use of the word “sublime” in that sentence following the unflattering assessment of my intelligence and even harsher dismissal of my writing.

. . . huh . . . thank you?

• paolsoren says:

I will say it in more simple terms. I thought your post started out being like one of you recent tongue in cheek comments on some unimportant topic and then I clicked on the link and found one of the funniest things I have seen for a long time. I was trying, in my own way, to say thank you for showing it to me.
        …..OK?

It’s how I took it . . . you know, realizing “stupid bastard” is a term of affection and respect.

Seriously, I’m just needling you a bit. I knew what you meant and yes, that is one of my favorites Whiskey Tango Foxtrot videos.

You’re the only one that commented on it so I presume you’re the only one who clicked on the link . . . so, here’s a bonus video for you.

3. Nice quilt panel – I like the way the triangle and rectangular color pieces jump back and forth from foreground to background if you study it for a bit. Intriguing. Beautiful choices of shapes and color.
    Consideration? Vocabulary isn’t taught any more than manners these days. Perhaps from never having to get along with others or life gets really really hard. The Me First And Only Me is important Generation – old habits hard to break – especially if never taught the benefits/courtesy of doing otherwise.
    Another reasons I don’t like gyms (but if this heat doesn’t break, I may be forced to get some exercise inside.)

My basic assumption when I head outside the confines of our condo/house/residence is I will encounter mostly inconsiderate and annoying individuals. I’m seldom wrong and I’ve become fairly adept at avoiding most of them or conducting my affairs in such a way as to minimize said annoyances. The rest I suffer until I win the lottery or die, whichever comes first.

4. Emily Scott says:

Well Melisa is a talented artist. I really like that pineapple. Sorry about the gym music.

Thank you; I’ll let her know of your and other people’s comments.

And, it’s OK about the music as it was a temporary annoyance. It’s the cost one pays for not being large and strong enough to intimidate people into being nicer.

5. Yes, unfortunately it does seem to be the way these days. UGH. As a teacher, when I met a kid who was rude, or mean, or kind or helpful or whatever (negative traits or positive traits)…after I met their parents I totally understood why. You know…the apple not falling from the tree quote.

YAY on the vid! I’ve seen it once before, but it made me smile and laugh again!
    ‘Twould be great music to play in the locker room or anywhere.

PHOTO: Melisa’s pineapple is wonderful! The colors are so beautiful! Tell her she’s doing a great job! I’d like to see more of her quilting any time! (Quilts and quilting is one of my favorite things.)
    CARTOON: Seems a lot of the guys I met in college didn’t want a cap or a diploma really…they wanted a girlfriend or a wife. :o
    DOODLE: The colors and the motion…coolio!

Thank you, Carolyn.

Yes, the parents are great — if not perfect — predictors (I know a few exceptions, but not many).

. . . one of the reasons I considered having chickens . . .

I am planning a post on the quilting efforts and I’ll pass the comment along.

I wanted none of those and found all four . . . go figure.

Thanks; Dot Art seems effective as an entertainment vehicle. I plan more of it.

6. Well it’s still Saturday, Saturday the 4th , Are you telling us that you go to a gym that is dirty?You actually use a dirty shower?
    I know you’re odd, you probably like to think of yourself as eccentric; I’ll stick to odd, but I never imagined you to be that odd.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )