Project 313 – Post No. 077

I’m in a time crunch and so I’ll post another one of my previous flash/short stories in lieu of coming up with amazing and original prose. It’s a story that’s buried in a post about writing and so unlikely it’s been read by many. Hope it’s enjoyable.

Guido takes a walk
Copyright 2015-2018, E. J. D’Alise

It had been a long day, the third in a row. Guido looks at the sofa; so inviting. He then looks at the TV. He was halfway through streaming the Claymore series episodes.

He looks to the window . . . raindrops are leaving streaks on the outer pane. Sighing, Guido puts on his hat and slicker, grabs the keys, and heads out. He holds little hope of success; it’s been a week since he last had a glimpse, and even then he’d not been sure.

As he steps out, the drops seem to converge on him. He looks up . . . just darkness. He looks both ways and then decides to head north. He’d be walking into the wind, but at least the rain would be at his back on the way home.

He stops at every alley, every empty lot, every underpass. He waits a few minutes, looking around for any movement, any indication of her presence. And then he moves on. This would be the last night he would look.

. . . but he had told himself that every night this whole past week.

He reaches the highway. The road ends at the highway. The nearest crossing is an underpass nearly a mile away. He turns – and there she is. Her hair is plastered to her body, now noticeably thinner. She’s shivering but still eyes him warily as he approaches. He moves slowly, not saying a word. She doesn’t look up as he gets closer. He hugs her, wrapping the slicker around her. He feels her tense, and then relax. They head back.

< < < o > > >

He knocks again. It was late; they might already be asleep. He hears someone approach the door. He sees the light come on and then go dark in the peep-hole, and then hears the door lock. The woman opens the door, the safety chain still in place. Guido opens his slicker. The woman looks down at her, then back up at him. The door closes, and he hears the chain being removed at the same time as the woman yells out a name.

“Lindsey!”

A moment later a sleepy eight-year-old girl stands at the door, her mother resting one hand on her shoulders. Guido unwraps the slicker as he speaks.

“I found your cat,” he says.

The little girl’s eyes get as huge as the smile that grows on her lips.

“Luna!”

She rushes forward, taking the cat from Guido’s hands. As Lindsey hugs the cat, the mother asks Guido if he would like to come in for a moment.

“No thank you; you guys have a big day tomorrow, and I need to sleep. Hope your move goes well. I hear Colorado is nice this time of year. Oh, and good luck with the new job.”

They shake hands, and Guido returns to his apartment. He changes from his wet clothes and promises himself  “only one episode” as he sits in front of the TV with a warm glass of milk. Tomorrow would be another long day; shelves did not stock themselves.

The End.

Come to think of it, most of my regular readers likely have already read the above . . . I can hope for renewed interest since my readers are mostly older and thus memory-challenged. In fact, I’m just hoping they can still find their way here.

And now, the photo:

Project 313 077

I’ve shown the color version of this but I also like the B&W version and so . . . here it is. I won’t yet again mention the car or car company as it’s now been posted in three other places. Also, it’s exciting not knowing stuff and trying to find out.

This is an old Willy ‘n Ethel I’d clipped from the newspaper. I have no idea how old it is. I know there are a couple of W’nE collections that are no longer available and are out of print. It depresses me knowing there are probably a good number of Joe Martin cartoons I’ve never seen and will never see.

I know I keep saying it, but I still marvel at just how few lines are used to draw the characters . . . and give them an expression; a personality, even.

Sometimes, I wonder just how unique humans are in their behavior. Obviously, a pressing question is what would a Centipede Bachelorette Party looks like. Well, wonder no more. How do I know it’s not a bachelor party? Male centipedes have a couple of longer legs at their tail end that are used in “their mating ritual”, whatever that means. Ergo, this is a bachelorette party.

Centipede Bachelorette Party

And . . . that’s it

Some of these posts will likely be longer as the mood hits me, but most will be thus; short, uninteresting, bland, and relentless.

You can read about Project 313 HERE.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, sympathy, or complaining about my life, or asking for help and advice, know you’re likely missing my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor.

This entry was posted in Project 313 and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Project 313 – Post No. 077

1. paigeaddams says:

I’ve never read this one actually, but I like it! Guido seems like such a sweetheart, and I want to read more about him now! :D Also, he likes Claymore, so he’s also super cool in my book. XD

Thank you.

Yeah, that’s buried at the end of a long post about “voice” . . . I doubt more than three or four people have read it. Five, now.

I started to make my way slowly through Claymore again because the episodes are on YouTube. There are parts I don’t want to see . . . like what happens with Teresa of the Faint Smile. That seemed a bit contrived, but, you know, it’s anime.

I wasn’t particularly happy with the ending, either, although that memory is little nebulous right now, probably because I wasn’t impressed.

• paigeaddams says:

Yeah, Teresa of the Faint Smile broke my heart a little, if I remember correctly, lol. It’s been a while since I watched the anime. Man, the Claymores all have such painful histories! And I feel like I remember the ending wasn’t really an ending? That’s one of my biggest beefs with anime, although I absolutely love it. So many of them have a “no-ending” type of ending. You have to dig up the mangas to get any sort of closure, and even then sometimes you don’t really. I think that’s why I end up liking the anime movies more than the series – like Howl’s Moving Castle or Your Name or Princess Mononoke.

I thought Howl’s Moving Castle was also a little haphazard both in its plot and development of the characters. I remember liking it but not to the point of watching it again.

I haven’t seen the other two, so I can’t comment on them.

Right now, I hesitate starting new series offered on Netflix or Amazon because 1) you never know how long they’ll hang around, and 2) they seldom have all the seasons. I almost want to switch to DVDs rather than streaming because they seem a bit better in terms of availability and completeness.

There are channels I could subscribe to that offer nothing but anime but I guess I’m not that enamored with the genre. It’s interesting and can be entertaining, but can’t see me paying extra money for it and wouldn’t miss it if not available . . . probably why it’s not available in the first place.

2. OHMYGOSH! I love that story! We need more Guidos in the world! I love that he had a glass of warm milk!
    Okay…I’ll admit it…the story got me all joy-teary-eyed!

PHOTO: Nice in B&W!
    CARTOON: Ha! Good one! I marvel at that, too. I always feel like I know exactly what the character is thinking, and feeling, even when they don’t have a mouth-expression!
    DOODLE: OH! MAN! This one is my fav so far and probably ever! The colors, the motion, the name! HA! I wanna’ go to that party!!!

The cartoon reminded me…I used to tell my kids, “They didn’t have TV remotes when I was a kid, so I had to walk all the way across the living room in shag carpet to change the channel on the TV for my parents. Us kids WERE the remote control!”

For some reason my kids didn’t feel sorry for me OR think that was reason enough to explain why I am the way I am! Ha! ;-)

HUGS!!! Happy Sat-Day!!!

Thank you, Carolyn.

I used to sit close enough to the TV so all I had to do is lean forward to change the channel. We had the choice of three whole channels. There was also UHF, but that required fiddling with the antenna and even then, it was usually crap programming.

As for your arduous chore of changing the channel, you might get more sympathy from your kids if you explained that it wasn’t a matter of pushing a button . . . you had an actual dial to turn. It’s a wonder our generation is not suffering from some sort of degenerative wrist problem. Plus . . . shag carpet <==> shock . . . need I say more? Tell me all that static electricity didn’t affect our brain! I mean, it was like getting electroshock therapy after every trip to the channel dial.

Happy weekend to you as well . . . may you find a centipede bachelorette party in full swing that you can join.

Liked by 2 people

More Guido, please.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )