Project 313 – Post No. 069

There’s been an interesting depressing shift in the way people discuss, report, debate, or otherwise explore pretty much any topic.

I don’t know how many people know Ray Dalio . . . well, I don’t “know” Ray Dalio either. I’ve read some of what he’s written, watched a few of his videos, and did some light research on the man. None of that matters here because I’m sure if people are interested they will do their own research. I also want to stress I’m not a critic of the man and I’m not a fan of the man . . . like I said, I don’t know enough about him.

. . . but I read something he wrote and it struck me how much it encapsulates the social, political, and economic states we find ourselves in. Here’s what I read . . .

“It pays to negotiate by finding out what the other party wants most and try to give it to them and to have them reciprocate rather than to find out what will hurt the other party and give that to them because little wars have a tendency to quickly get out of control to become big wars and anyone who has ever gotten into a big war wishes that they hadn’t because they are so horrible.”

He wrote that in a piece dealing with the looming trade war but it resonates with me because I see the underlying message warning as applicable in all manners of dealings.

It also seems to me that as a country, as a society, as an economy, and even as individuals we’re taking an approach completely opposite the warning contained within that paragraph.

Social issues challenges we face? Check!
Political issues challenges we face? Check!
Economic issues challenges we face? Check!
Interpersonal issues challenges we face? Check!

The sad part of all this? Easy; from history, we know that humans gravitate toward the inevitability of wars. Pinker’s contentions notwithstanding, we all know where all this is heading. We may deny it as we hold our breath until we get our way, or as we outscream the “other guys” until we get our way, or as we justify questionable actions until we get our way, but deep down we know . . . we know we are ready and prepared to go to war because we have no memories of what wars are like. Even those who remember have suppressed the horrors and glorified the act.

I believe we — the collective we — have lost the ability to compromise, to “work things out”, to find the common ground that lets us go forward.

You’d be surprised — or maybe you wouldn’t — how often I’ve encountered individuals who believe that those who hold different opinions from themselves (read: the group they identify with) have no value and the world would be better off without them.

Yes; Republicans, Liberals, Democrats, Conservatives, different races, different religions, different genders . . . people who walk among us and who vote and yet don’t believe in opinions — and interests — other than those of their own groups as having any merit.

I confess I’m there with them . . . I agree with all of them.

And now, the photo:

Project 313 069

It occurred to me I wanted to relook at some of the macro shots from the 2015 Tri-Lakes Classic Cars Show I attended in — you guessed it — 2015. That’s the first of many. Some are going to be  . . . different. Still, I think they’ll have merit.

I mentioned before the Willy ‘n Ethel (really, Joe Martin) comic offers keen observations of human nature and especially married life (although I think also applicable to other relationships).

Go ahead; read it again.

As for the doodles, I often have to really reach in coming up with a name . . . but not this time. I give you . . . Mustache Infiltration

Mustache Infiltration

And . . . that’s it

Some of these posts will likely be longer as the mood hits me, but most will be thus; short, uninteresting, bland, and relentless.

You can read about Project 313 HERE.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, sympathy, or complaining about my life, or asking for help and advice, know you’re likely missing my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor.

This entry was posted in Project 313 and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Project 313 – Post No. 069

1. paolsoren says:

It is very hard to make a response to an article that refers to “us as a country, an economy etc” when I come from a different country – a country that doesn’t rate high enough to have a US ambassador. If I make a comment that sounds even slightly as a criticism I run the risk of being told to mind my own business. But here’s the thing. A trade war between the US and China, US and Europe will leave Australia as ‘collateral Damage’.
    So may I say something I said on another blog by another American,
    Re the concept of making America Great again – when the US, against all odds and with the Allies almost defeated, came to the aid and assistance of a free Europe and a free Pacific and particularly a free Australia, you, the USofA had every reason to be proud of what you did.
    But then you Became Proud. And that is when things started to go wrong. There is a huge difference between being proud of an accomplishment and becoming proud, for Pride becomes arrogance and arrogance is a rot that sets into the foundation.
    The whole world would rise in acclamation if someone claimed as their slogan “Let’s Make America humble Again.” For humility breeds trust and care and concern and might just be an example that could change the world for the better.

No argument here . . . but, at the same time, there are real problems that face a large portion of the US population (same as other countries). All I’m saying is that we’re not having the right conversation. Certainly not with the “leadership” we have at the moment. But, realistically, there’s no current source of reasoned discourse anywhere I listen. It’s all blaming the other. It don’t bode well none.

• paolsoren says:

Yep. It sure don’t bode well none at all. Except that it might make some folk who have always been GOP or Dem. stop and ask what they really believe.

That’s already happening. The problem is the two-party system is not conducive to nuanced positions. I think we’re a long way from a centrist (of either leaning) taking control of either party and even longer away from a viable third party.

2. Sounds like our Brexit debate in the UK. If you voted in the way that I didn’t then you are surely a moron! Sad state of affairs.

Britain right now is muddling things up. Once the vote happened (for better or worse) they should have gone with it. What they’re trying now is a middle ground . . . the problem is that it’s an island and the middle ground is an unforgiving sea. Note, I have no direct horse in the game and so I can’t say which way it should have gone. All I can comment on is that for the long term, they need to be decisive (one way or the other). Being on the fence is by definition setting oneself up for a tumble.

Again, I’m no expert and if you ask me what I think, I have literally twenty or so conflicting issues that I think need addressing (same here, by the way) and I’m not hearing frank and honest conversations about them, let alone even the beginning of compromise and moving forward.

I’m just the opposite: I don’t agree with any of them. I watched a rally just last night and (this is only my opinion) there were a lot of stupid people there. If any political party (I’m talking about any of them that are not GOP), that’s the vote they need to go after to affect change.

What I agree with is the opinion they have of each other.

I can guess what rally you watched (I no longer bother following those shows). As for going after that vote . . . that’s the problem; to go after that vote one has to first admit that those people a) matter and b) have gripes that matter. One needs not agree with their solutions, but one first must acknowledge some version of the problem.

That’s not what I’m hearing. What I’m hearing are insults, dismissal, marginalization . . . which is reciprocated in kind. I don’t see any indication of this ending well. At best, a new administration will take a retaliatory stance and thus set up a continuing cycle of ever-increasing animosity, bitterness, and desperation. Ingredients from which no great country has ever been made.

Hmm . . . it occurred to me you might have meant specifically going after the vote of the people at the rally as opposed to that of disillusioned and/or moderate Republicans.

People at those rallies are as good as lost. I’ve heard them in person and they are beyond reach; you see, they’ve already built a wall against reason.

4. Eddy Winko says:

I like the Dunning Kruger thingy, but not as much as the cartoon.

5. The way some people are speaking and acting these days makes my heart hurt.

PHOTO: I love your car photos! And especially your close-up photos of different parts of the cars, like their logos and hood ornaments!
    CARTOON: HA! Willy and Ethel Lyin.
    DOODLE: Great name…looks like a mustache pizza to me.

HUGS!!! :-D

You’re lucky (maybe) . . . it makes my brain hurt.

Lots of car macros coming up . . . some might be difficult to recognize as I do “things” to them.

Regular rungs, they are. (edited to add: that was supposed to be “rugs” not rungs)

Mustache pizza would have been a great name.

Thanks, Carolyn.

6. There’s always a good chance that you wont get your way.. Maybe the US is more vulnerable than you all believe.
    I see news videos of Chinese, Korean and Russian troops, ‘goose’ stepping in perfect formation seemingly totally disciplined and fearless.
    I see US troops seemingly shuffling along, just the opposite, and I know who and what scares the living daylights out of those caught in the middle.
    Not only that there are a damned sight more of them too !

The goose step to me always seemed as an unnecessary flair to mask an inferiority complex. Besides looking silly, I mean.

As for numbers . . . one consoling thing about being attacked by vast numbers is that you can pretty much shoot back with your eyes closed and you’ll hit something.

• You’d make any excuse to cover the inferiority of certain forces wouldn’t you?
        That goose stepping is the hardest and most disciplined form of marching ever, perhaps you should try it when next going for a stroll Ha! But don’t do it for too long I’d hate to lose you

Marching while doing a handstand, playing the harmonica and banging cymbals with one’s feet would also be difficult and require a lot of discipline . . . that doesn’t make it any less silly-looking.

I hate to even post this because I feel bad for the soldiers but . . .

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )