Project 313 – Post No. 068

I’m cutting this close . . . This is supposed to go live in less than three hours.

I was a bit distracted by something odd; I had many, many messages letting me know of “likes” to the previous post. And all of them from readers with weird long names . . . and all of them from Russia. I had over fifty notices of “likes” and the visit map showed the majority were from Russia. I occasionally get one or two views from there so this jump was . . . different.

As I write this, all them “likes” and “views” have since disappeared. I assume WordPress took care of something or other that was happening. Still . . . I now have to wonder if I’m about to get elected President.

Anyway, as I’m late in writing this, I thought I would copy and past one of my many flash fiction pieces since I got such a tremendous response to yesterdays fiction . . . not!

I mean, I knew from experience that my fiction gets minimal views, so it wasn’t a surprise and as the following is a rerun, it’ll draw even fewer pair of eyes.

An Ordinary Hero

Copyright 2014-2018, E. J. D’Alise

The farmhand lifted his hand, shielding his eyes from the glare of the sun. He looked around. His adopted parents were working another part of the field, and his step-brother was getting a drink from the well.

The sound of horses drew closer. Twenty-seven riders crested the hill on a trot, they and the horses covered in dust.

Leaving the road, they rode toward him, spread out as they neared, and stopped after forming a circle around him.

“Are you Codrin Kouns?”

“I am,” the farmhand replied.

As he did so, Codrin focused his Chi as his now dead mentor had taught him. He’d never believed the legend, but it didn’t hurt being prepared.

Another rider spoke, this one a female.

“I am Tepin Nazarian, ruler of this land.”

Codrin registered her beauty, but also a coldness about her. He’d heard stories of her tyrannical rule and cruel treatment of her subjects. It was also rumored she liked broccoli. Codrin shuddered at the thought.

“You are the one from the legend; the one destined to end my rule.” As she spoke Tepin raised her hand. Twenty-six riders raised their bows in response, their notched arrows now aimed at Codrin.

“If you’ve heard of the legend,” Codrin replied as he steadied himself and gathered more Chi to his bidding, “then you know it’s futile to fight it.”

Tepin lowered her hand, and twenty-six arrows all but shredded Codrin’s head.

“Idiot!” Tepin said, and then she and the riders turned their horses and faced the rest of the people in the field.

“He probably believed all that Chi crap. Still, it doesn’t pay to have these legends linger.” Tepin pointed at the family now huddled by the well. “Kill them.”

Tepin the Terrible’s reign lasted two hundred years. During that time, she dispatched dozens of wannabe-legendary characters and ate lots of broccoli.

The End

As I said, this is one from a few years ago but that just gives the opportunity for readers to skip most of this post and just look at the pictures . . . if even.

And now, the photo:

Project 313 068

That’s a small part of a long mural lining a portion of Palani St. just before it turns into Aliʻi Drive. There’s another mural on the other side of the street. I’ve photographed them both a number of times and I’m not yet happy with the results.

Still, one of these days I’ll have to break down and show the dang thing.

Due to my solitary nature, I’ve never been one to have a group of friends (male or female) and especially not a group that would come by the house as depicted below.

I mean, we’ve had friends and we’d occasionally host poker parties or — when I was still playing — Magic The Gathering game nights. Still, those were mutual friends and not someone I hung around as in “doing stuff with the guys”.

Certainly, I would never invite anyone over without it being planned.

What I mean is, I’m with Ethel on this one.

Another mandala-like doodle . . . I really should get more creative, but I do like these kinds of patterns. This one is called Impossible Labyrinth

Impossible Labyrinth

And . . . that’s it

Some of these posts will likely be longer as the mood hits me, but most will be thus; short, uninteresting, bland, and relentless.

You can read about Project 313 HERE.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, sympathy, or complaining about my life, or asking for help and advice, know you’re likely missing my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor.

This entry was posted in Project 313 and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Project 313 – Post No. 068

1. Debbie says:

I’ve never “hung” with a group/gang of friends ever than I can recall. I never wanted to.
    Years ago, maybe 40, my husband and I used to have another couple that we played cards and listened to music with. Rum and coke or maybe tequila sunrises. Dire Straits, Moody Blues, McCartney, Badfinger, the Doors.
    Battle of the sexes in Spades or possibly Tripoley.
    I miss it even now.

We seldom entertain. For one, we don’t drink and most people do. We would occasionally visit with friends (dinner or watch a movie), but not that often.

Now, when we do meet with anyone, it’s mostly chatting about things while avoiding important things and especially current events. But again, it’s not often.

I’d never heard of Tripoley . . . had to look it up.

2. paolsoren says:

1 Comment on the story. Absolutely loved it.
    2 I’m on the side of the wife too. The husband deserves everything she dishes out to him. Anyway the morons with him weren’t to enlightening.

Thanks. I’ve written a few fantasy pieces but they’re difficult for me because I keep thinking of the inherent limits of whatever magic is being used . . . and the problem is there shouldn’t be any limits with magic or it’s not magic. Hmm . . . I should explore that more in an essay of some sort.

I think often Willy ‘n Ethel offer a pretty good platform for how not to be.

3. Aquileana says:

I love your flash fiction… I would have totally said that Codrin was going to make it through… so that was unexpected!. Heroes are so overrated, I think. 😂
    Also, the mandala is mesmerizing… nice one, dear Disperser. Love & best wishes 💜

• Debbie says:

Although I love a good hero in a story (especially the Disney ones …don’t judge) I am uncomfortable with them in real life. Not sure why.

Well, the problem with heroes in real life is that they’re seldom full-on heroes. Instead, they are regular people who might do one or two heroic acts.

For instance, you might read of a person who saves a drowning baby and is celebrated as a “hero” (or heroine) only to later find out they steal money from orphanages or abuse their dog or likes to eat broccoli.

Also, the term hero has lost a lot of luster in real life. Occasionally, just doing your job can earn you the label of “hero” (or “heroine”) in the media and social platforms.

Just last night I watched a news segment about a three-year-old girl labeled as a “hero” because she “saved her mother after the mother suffered a seizure while they were out for a walk.” What did the girl do? She ran home to call her grandparents. It was made to sound dramatic . . . until the end when you find out people who were driving by the woman and neighbors who lived near where she fell had already called 911 and rendered aid. So, it’s not so much that she saved her mother as everyone was amazed she retraced her steps home and recognized her house. I mean, that might or might not be impressive, but worthy of the label “hero”?

. . . now I probably sound like a jerk for picking on this little girl. In my defense, I’m picking on the news programmer that wasted my time with the story.

Thank you, Aquileana.

I could write a lot about the problem with heroes in most fiction (old and new) . . . but I’m busy making more mandalas.

4. I got those weird messages as well. All gone now!

5. HA! What you said about wondering if you were about to get elected President…when I read that I snort-laughed loudly and woke Cooper up from his nap!

HA! Love the story! The humor, the surprise, etc. It made me snort-laugh. AND it may be enough to get me to quit eating broccoli!

PHOTO: I like all the little details in the mural!
    CARTOON: Snort-laughed AGAIN! Gotta’ love Ethel!
    DOODLE: Love the colors in this one! Especially the purple-y-red lines and swirls!

Thank you, Carolyn; high praise, indeed.

That mural is probably 50 yards long . . . I really should do a post about it. Also, it’s been damaged in a few places and people are peeling sections of it off the wall. Jerks.

And thanks for the other comments as well.

6. I’ll have to watch out for the War Office SHE eats lots of broccoli.
    I like stories like that with a happy ever after ending.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w