Project 313 – Post No. 052

How about some advice?

Hey! I saw that; I saw your eye roll and your hand reaching to swipe me off the screen! But, how about you hold off until you read what I say? Perhaps it’s not advice; maybe it’s a suggestion. It could even be a good suggestion and you won’t know until you read it.

So, here’s what I’ve noticed myself doing: I pull out the phone whenever I’m momentarily not doing anything.

I could be waiting in line somewhere. I could be waiting for an appointment. I could be sitting down, resting. The point is, my immediate response when I have a few seconds of time with myself is to distract me; to occupy my mind with something else.

I have two suggestions and I’ll keep both of them short.

The first suggestion is to forego the phone and spend some time with yourself. Think about how you feel, or what you feel. I don’t mean your health. I mean what occupies your mind in the moment. Some answer “nothing” and that’s why they reach for the phone. They are bored.

. . .  because they’ve assigned the task of “thinking” to the phone.

You should repossess that task. Think about friends. How are they doing? (Stop! Don’t you dare reach for the phone to text them!) I mean, how are they really doing? What is their current situation? For that matter, what is your current situation? Do you have plans for yourself? I mean real plans, not just “I should get a malasada”. Where do you see yourself next year? How about in five years?

If you prefer to think about the world, stop a moment and think about it not so much in terms of who is right or wrong about this or that issue, but its current state. Are people happy? Specifically, people you know. Why or why not? Is life about to get easier or harder for them? How do you know, and if you don’t, why not?

In other words, I’m suggesting you take back the task of “figuring stuff out” as opposed to letting the phone tell you what you should be thinking about — usually banal stuff not anywhere near your sphere of influence or concerns — and how you should be thinking about it.

BUT . . . let’s say you do pull out that phone. Fine. It’s like a reflex now, anyway. Here’s my second suggestion. The first thing you read, no matter what it is, stop right after you read it. Look away from the phone and think about what you just read.

I mean, really think about it. How do you feel about it? Why do you feel about it? Is it a conscious reaction or a knee-jerk one? Is what you read fueling a certain reaction? Are you being manipulated? What is the intent of the person who wrote whatever you read?

Now, at this point, some will say something like this: “what if it’s just some random news?”

OK, let’s think about that for a moment. There are billion of things happening in the world at any one moment. You just read one. Someone chose it, wrote it up, and presented it to you. All that requires effort and probably costs money to present it to you. Why? Why would someone do that? Are they concerned about you? Do they think this piece of information is crucial for your well-being? Do you think you need this piece of information for your well-being? Are you even going to remember this piece of news an hour from now? Could it be “they” just want your attention for a moment because it benefits them?

But, wait . . . how did “they” even know you would read it. Is everyone else being shown the same thing? Is someone analyzing and manipulating your attention?

So . . . presuming you read all that, sit back. I mean it. At the end of this paragraph, sit back and think about what you read. What are your thoughts about all that? Go.

Now think about the fact that you didn’t do what I suggested. You didn’t sit back and think about what you just read. You’re, instead, hell-bent on getting to the end of this post. Heck, you probably scanned most of the above and only got a general sense of it.

*Sigh* OK, I didn’t really think it would work, anyway. But, next time you have a few minutes, try thinking about stuff. Not new stuff. Stuff you already know. Really think about it, not just parroting what you’ve read or heard. See if it makes sense. Try arguing against “stuff you know” and arguing “for stuff you don’t agree with” and not in terms of emotions or what you would like, but rather using actual arguments . . . in other words, exercise your mind a bit. Make it a habit, even.

And now, the photo:

Project 313 052

That is a treatment of a mural on the wall of a house near here. That’s the second such mural I’ve seen. I call it a mural because I don’t know the word for decorative pieces of metal stuck on a wall. I suppose it could be a sculpture.

In part, that’s what got me to draw a fish . . . I plan to draw more fish and also draw a turtle and a dolphin and stuff. I then plan to arrange them all in one drawing that brings all the elements together . . . like the above scene, but maybe more complicated.

Hmm . . . maybe I should go for something simpler for my first major project. We’ll see.

This is one of my most favorite cartoons . . . even from before the current state of the world.

Admit it . . . regardless on which side of the social/political/economic spectrum you reside in, it feels a bit like that. Personally, I’d like to get off before . . . you know . . . before.

Sadly, I don’t see a safe place to jump off. All I can do is brace myself . . . for all the good it will do.

And now, another doodle.

This one was easy to name; I give you . . . ColonoscopieKaleidoscope.

Colonoscopies Kaleidoscope

And . . . that’s it

Some of these posts will likely be longer as the mood hits me, but most will be thus; short, uninteresting, bland, and relentless.

You can read about Project 313 HERE.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, sympathy, or complaining about my life, or asking for help and advice, know you’re likely missing my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor.

This entry was posted in Other Stuff and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Project 313 – Post No. 052

I have friends that do not own smartphones but instead rely on TV to occupy spare time. Talk about a time suck. Myself – I like to listen to music.

I’m almost always listening to music . . . at home. I don’t like to listen to music when I’m out and about; situational awareness, and all that.

I do listen to podcasts at the gym and do so for two reasons. One, I don’t like the music they play and, two, it keeps most people from engaging in conversation with me. My default look of “appearing cross” also helps with that. It’s funny how when you looked unfriendly, people leave you alone.

Sure, they miss out on the warm, witty, caring, and compassionate person I am but, really, it’s better if they don’t find out.

Where were we . . . ah, yes . . . music, too, can interfere with one’s introspection.

2. Eddy Winko says:

Bored? Try farming.

I didn’t say I was bored. I have so much to do, people have never had as much to do as I do. In the history of humanity, the amount of stuff I have to do puts the building of the seven wonder of both the ancient and modern world to shame.

Bored! Sheesh!

. . . but, say I was bored . . . farming? Pfft! Child’s play!

3. I only take my phone with me, if I know I will definitely need to make a phone call. Since the advent of these pernicious machines, public phones have disappeared from the streets.
    It’s just dawned on me that I don’t see/look at those photos now, it’s those bloody horrible frames that you hang around them, that I find distracting, so I don’t bother looking.
    Then again I don’t suppose you’re aiming you STUFF at those of discerning taste, but at masses.Ha! HUGS :)
    ( I noticed that HUGS has to be capitalized)

They are far and few in between here in the States as well. Could also be that any that are still around get vandalized pretty regularly. I am curious, though . . . how do you know you “will definitively” need to make a call?

As for the pictures . . . See! . . . I’m doing you a favor by helping you get through the post a bit faster. You are welcome! By the way, that’s why they are called pictures.

Wait . . . you’re not actually claiming to have discerning tastes while reading my blog, are you? I mean, it sounds as if you’re contradicting yourself. Nothing new, of course, but if not, it’s refreshing hearing you admit your lack of said “discerning taste” . . . whatever that is.

• Strangely enough I do know when I have to make a call, it’s not often but it does happen.
        Theres no point in trying to explain discerning taste to those that live on SPAM cardigans just as there’s no point in trying to explain how I know I have to make a phone call, as the old adage states quite clearly, Ignorance is bliss. and you live in a land of folly,

There are two types of calls you might need to make. One type is for your own convenience. The other cannot be known in advance — them be the calls because of unforeseen circumstances.

. . . unless you claim clairvoyance . . .

As for living in a land of folly . . . well, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

4. Thinking makes my pea-brain hurt! ;-) HA!

Seriously, now…EXCELLENT suggestions! Thank you! They are meaningful to me, so I will actively seek to do those 2 things!

Yes, I think all of the stuff we can do on phones is distracting people from important things. Bummer.

They said on the radio news the other night that the average person checks their phone 40 times a day. Wow. I knew I am way lower on that count. So in the past 24 hours I counted. Even with phone stuff related to my work, I only checked my phone 11 times.

But, I know I’m a dinosaur…I mostly use my phone to make phone calls, answer phone calls, text family and friends, and look up info. Not much else.

PHOTO: Whimsical! Beautiful! Fun! Makes me daydream about the ocean!
    CARTOON: Good one! And, I agree with how you feel about the current state of the world.
    DOODLE: Great doodle! Great title! I could say a lot about colonoscopies…but, I’ll spare you.

I don’t believe you have a pea brain and I’m glad whenever something I say resonates with someone.

I do receive emergency texts from Civil Defense, which means that since the beginning of the eruptions I’m getting 4-5 texts per day. Prior to that, I’d be lucky . . . er . . . I mean, unlucky to get one or two a week.

I do bring out the phone to draw, but that also allows my mind to wander and come up with amazing stuff . . . which I usually promptly forget.

Thank you, and wish you a great week ahead.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w