Project 313 – Post No. 042

As suspected, readership for these posts has dropped substantially. No matter any attempt at keeping them fresh and interesting, the repetition of the same title, seen every day, day after day, begins to feel like a visit to the DMV; something you avoid, if at all possible.

At first, there’s a compulsion to at least open up the post . . . which eventually degrades to just glancing at it in the Reader and tossing it a quick Like . . . and that progresses to skipping it for the day but telling yourself you’ll catch up with it later. The process is mature when you’ve accumulated five or more posts and now have the justified excuse that you don’t have time to read them all. You’ll wait — even as the number continues to climb — until that mythical day when you’ll have many, many hours to do all these accumulated unread posts justice.

Of course, if that day ever comes, reading these posts is going to be way down the list of things you want to do. Perhaps next year then, or perhaps when Project 626 starts up . . . yeah! That’s it! The next project! For sure you’ll read every one of those posts. Meanwhile, where’s more kitten photos?

Here I caution readers to not assume I am complaining, claiming victimhood, or in any way using reverse psychology to bolster my readership. Nope! You do whatever makes you happy and don’t worry about me . . . I’ll be fine . . . no, really. I’m used to being ignored and spend my time alone. I even tell myself I like it.

OK, seriously . . . if you are a new reader of my stuff, or even if you are old and grizzled, please understand that I’m joking. People being mortal means they are forever looking for new and exciting stuff and — by definition — more of the same is not new and exciting. I knew readership would fall.

Plus, remember what I said: these posts are for me. I enjoy creating them and I’ll enjoy re-reading them long after their memory has passed from the awareness of the casual visitor to this blog.

Don’t believe me?

How many old posts of mine do you read each week? I mean, there are more than 1,900 posts spanning everything from travel to photography to commentary to fiction writing.

I thought so . . . zero. I, on the other hand, still enjoy looking back and reliving parts of my life and my thinking and my creative efforts. Think of this as a diary . . . you might occasionally get curious and read the latest entry, but I have a different impetus for both writing these and other posts; it’s to eventually look back at them and bask in their seldom-recognized and not fully-appreciated brilliance.

Yes, I kid. About the brilliance part; I do go back and read stuff and I’m always amazed at how such mundane offerings can still capture my interest.

And now, the photo:

Project 313 042

That’s a carving from a native craft demonstration at the Place of Refuge. I would normally link my past posts about the place but that might now be misinterpreted as me begging people to read my old stuff. Nope. Not going to do it. I will, however, link to the National Park entry

I’ll (probably) do a post with photos from my latest visit (last week) but only because I got some different photographs I think are worth sharing . . . with myself.

Here’s another Mr. Boffo cartoon. There’s deep meaning behind the superficial joke.

Few people (read: religious people) seem to stop and ponder about the meaning of eternity. Hint: it’s a long time. You think waiting at the DMV is long; ha!

I refer, of course, to this supposedly comforting idea (to some people) that we get to live on after death . . . but not just live on. Live on forever. Depending on arbitrary and ever-changing criteria, you might spend your time in hell (the equivalent of waiting at the DMV) or bask beside beaming beatitude (the equivalent of smelling fresh-fried malasadas) but in either case, it will be forever.

The thing is, as much as I like malasadas, I might occasionally want something else. The idea of malasadas forever — or anything forever — bores the crap out of me. Conversely, all indications are that pain is measured as change from the norm. Meaning, after a time, a given level of pain becomes bearable and perhaps stops registering as pain. Obviously, if the pain is great, it would take a long time for the condition to “normalize” . . . but forever gives you all the time you need. I’m guessing that eventually, you’d be juggling burning hot coals as you relax in a vat of boiling oil.

Then again, based on current theology, it’s not entirely clear what exactly lives on. Perhaps the christian (and other religions) afterlife is nothing more than the equivalent of homeopathic immortality where an imagined essence of individuals persists and continues forever . . . sort of like political stench.

Anyway, something to ponder; I hope it doesn’t unsettle you.

Occasionally, people do feel unsettled. Sometimes, it’s the political stench, but other times, people can’t put their finger on it; they can’t describe it or even express it by other means.

I can help; here’s a graphic representation of it . . . Dark Forces Taint The Canvas Of Life.

Dark Forces Taint The Canvas Of Life

And . . . that’s it

Some of these posts will likely be longer as the mood hits me, but most will be thus; short, uninteresting, bland, and relentless.

You can read about Project 313 HERE.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, sympathy, or complaining about my life, or asking for help and advice, know you’re likely missing my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor.

This entry was posted in Project 313 and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Project 313 – Post No. 042

1. Jax Bubis says:

Emilio, Some of the Giraffe Fans of Cheyenne Mountain Zoo came across one of your photos and I traced it back here. I see that you have four pages of Zoo pics – your first one says it’s dated about 2008. Is it possible you can date the other three – at least close? I’d love to visit with you about these amazing photos. Trying to identify some of the giraffes. If you’re willing to chat – please email me. Thanks Jax

Hi, Jax.

I’d be curious as to where they came across my photos. I’m always curious to know how far and wide the photos travel.

Also, what four pages are you referring to?

As far as dating stuff . . . let me link four SmugMug galleries. Within each of those galleries, there are a number of giraffe photos. When you click on a photo, there is a small icon on the lower right of it with the letter “i”. Clicking on that brings up information for the photo. It should give the time and date of when they were taken.

The four Cheyenne Mountain Zoo galleries are in my “Feathers & Fur” folder:

The individual galleries are as follows:

2005 (August 24th):

2009 (May 30th):

2010 (October 8th):

2013 (August 17th):

I probably have more photos than I posted. I’ll pull all of the giraffe photos and put them in a gallery and link it in a comment below.

Let me know if you read this comment.

• allyourways says:

Reading this comment. I went back to the first post – Geez – I could have sworn you mentioned that you thought they were dated about 2008. I’ll check out the Smug Mug. We’re trying to put together some history of the giraffe herd at CMZ. Thanks for the information.

One other thing . . . there are no photos from 2008. You probably read the number of the photo.

OK, this is a gallery of all the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo giraffe photos I have in ascending chronological order spanning the first 2005 visit to the last 2013 visit.

• allyourways says:

I did check some of the “i” and still didn’t see dates. For example, the first one says: NAME 2008_CheyenneMtn_Zoo_A_DIGI.jpg
        SIZE 2109 x 1956
        FILE SIZE 2.15 MB
        I thought maybe the 2008 in the title of the pic was the date but the next one I clicked on said 2020 :) Am I doing it wrong?
        Jax

As I said before, that number is the number of the photo. That becomes clear a few photos down when the numbers increase well past the current year. That particular naming scheme was an early one and it was abandoned in latter photos. Later all the photos incorporate the date as part of the name so you don’t have to click on the “i” because the name (with the date) shows up in the title. For example:

However, I’m guessing you have a small screen and when you click on the “i”, you don’t see all the information.This is what you should be seeing for the first photo:

If you look at the right edge of the information box, there is a scrollbar (faint gray bar). For instance, if you click on “show more info” you get a whole lot more information about the photo and the camera settings (things you don’t care about) and you can scroll down to read it.

Note the slider at the right edge of the black information box:

2. renxkyoko says:

What is malasadas ? Is it Hawaiian dish ? There’s a Filipino word for a certain taste of food called malasado…. I’m always interested in the origin of words.

3. My first posts were a project like yours. No one read them but I have maintained them and I get the occasional visit now ten years later.

4. old and grizzled, ? You meaning me? Again?
    Must admit I like the expression political stench, sums them up world wide. about time I agreed with something you’ve uttered.
    Have you given any thought yet to giving up doodling/painting or whatever you call that STUFF? I was going to say it looks tasteless / talentless but I didn’t want to upset or embarrass you knowing how sensitive you are Hugs. Ha! :)

Man! Must you always assume everything is about you?

Seriously, have you so much conceit as to assume you are the only old and grizzled individual reading this blog?

As for my doodles, you should know by now that anything short of absolute praise just makes me redouble my efforts. If you really would like to see me do something else, foist effusive praise onto my work and after a few years or so, you won’t see any more of it.

5. Well, I AM ENJOYING these posts!!!

Guess What?!?!?!?

6. I’m back to blogging after 6 days of a very full house!!!!!!

PHOTO: Cool carving! Interesting dude!
    CARTOON: Oh my!
    DOODLE: True dat! But, I see these colors as jewel tones and they are pretty to me!

7. Did you miss me?!?!?!

I’m moving right along and will catch up pretty quickly, bro! Nice quad, especially Mr. Boffo…

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )