Project 313 – Post No. 007

I always wondered . . . is there a downhosltery? I don’t mean holstery filled with down; I mean, is there such a thing as downholstery? If not, where does the term upholstery come from? I ask because the etymology of the word makes little sense to me. “They” say it comes from tradesmen who used to hold up their product.

Such are the things I ponder at odd times when not specifically committed to being just plain awesome. I ponder a lot.

Here we are in the seventh post, and I’m still enjoying these. For one, I like the unfettered nature of the creative process. Pretty much whatever I want . . . as long as it’s a photo, a cartoon, and a doodle.

As will be seen below, I’m still liking Topaz Studio and the Digital Frame plugin. I wish it had a few other options, but I can get pretty close to what I envision and do so with little effort.

Today’s photo:

Project 313 007

I could get the name of the plant, but I’m too lazy. This one is in the parking lot where we currently live. The sun was hitting it in a peculiar way and I liked the contrast (slightly enhanced here for effect).

I may have to modify the signature a bit to have it fall solely on the matting and thus enhancing the illusion of a framed print.

I thought this would have been a decent joke for a few days ago, but since I just came across it, here you go . . .

As a small update, I’m editing both of my novels; Hybrid and Gin’s War. When I finish, I plan to make a focused push to get someone to at least read them (so far, agent rejections are based on reading a small sample). Failing that, I’ll plan to self-publish them (on the cheap).

I also really need to get back to writing short stories. Pretty much everything I have has been rejected in multiple places. I’m really not all that optimistic for reasons I’ve listed before, but I’ll keep trying. Again, at some point, I’ll self-publish those as well (also on the cheap).

I also plan on taking a few courses on drawing and I might start reading again . . . but, honestly, I’m losing the drive; for the amount of time I spent reading last year, I have maybe two books I sort of liked but neither are books I would read again. That is a huge time investment for very little return.

Not only did I not enjoy a lot of what I read, but I didn’t think most of it was particularly well-executed. Now, granted, I’m reading mostly books that are published through Amazon, but that’s because a lot of what traditional publishers offer hold little interest for me.

It seems, then, it makes more sense for me to write as opposed to read as much as I can. In part, I was reading to see what published books (with some sales success) look like. Color me unimpressed. Then again, it’s likely the same will be said about my books.

Just a reminder: not complaining; not considering myself a victim; not thinking the universe has it in for me and my books. Just thinking aloud.

And finally, a doodle . . . I’m not yet at the point where I’m tired of these . . . great for me because I enjoy making them, but it sucks for my readers who find these boring. What can I say?  Seriously, what can I say?

And . . . that’s it

Some of these posts will likely be longer as the mood hits me, but most will be thus; short, uninteresting, bland, and relentless.

You can read about Project 313 HERE.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, sympathy, or complaining about my life, or asking for help and advice, know you’re  likely missing my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor.

This entry was posted in Project 313 and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Project 313 – Post No. 007

1. mvschulze says:

How DO you make those doodles? Is it a “doddleapp?” Just randomly curious! (I love to say that fast….Doodleapp, Doodleapp, or maybe like DoDalap for short…? I found myself repeating this over and over to the dog this morning, while feeding her. Poor dog! It was even better while she was LAPPING up her water! M :-)

It’s actually a feature that comes with the Note 8. It’s meant to be for quick expressions in emails or texts. So, for instance, rather than have an emoji inserted into a message, you can send an animated gif. It’s called “live message” and it’s tied to the stylus of the Note 8.

Whatever it is, it’s a beautiful plant. And, however you make those doodles, they’re fun to watch!

3. marvelous doodling!! and good luck with publishing etc!

4. I like the photo. It reminds me of a couple of Georgia O’Keefe paintings of Maui’s Iao Valley that I included in a post a few years go (see https://crowcanyonjournal.wordpress.com/2015/02/24/hawaii-2015-impressed-with-19th-and-20th-century-art-at-honolulu-museum-of-art/).
    Now about reading, especially reading Amazon books: I read about 50 books a year, mostly Amazon ebooks and of these mostly inexpensive Kindle Unlimited books. One of the best books I read last year was an historical novel called Beneath the Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan, It’s an historical novel that takes place in northern Italy (Milan and the mountains near the Swiss border) during World War II. The book is free if you are a Kindle Unlimited member and otherwise sells for $2.99. I heartily recommend it! Most of the other books I read last year were either mystery thrillers or travel memoirs. Five of the best thrillers were a well-written series by Robert Dugoni about the adventures of a Seattle policewoman named Tracy Crosswhite. My favorite book of all, though, was a hard-cover book I received as a gift: At Home in the World by Tsh Oxenreider. Its a memoir about traveling around the world for a year with a husband and three kids and is the best travel book I have ever read!

I should have done a O’Keefe treatment on it . . . still might. I saw an O’Keefe gallery in Santa Fe a few years ago (she lived in New Mexico).

I didn’t keep track of the number of books I read last year. I think I took advantage of at least 12 based on Amazon Prime “first look” books (one a month). Aside that, I bought a couple of bundles ranging from 10 to 15 books. Along with those, I then got a few extra books from the authors.

Best guess, I probably read between 30 and 40 books, including the re-reading of my own novels and rereading the Old Man’s War series and re-reading a number of the Dresden books.

I’ll take a look at Dugoni’s work but will pass on historical novels. At one time, that’s all I read, but weaned out of it and now they hold no attraction. I’ll probably pass on the memoir book as that’s another genre that I’m particular about. I’d have to have some interest in the person writing it.

Overall, I think I’ll be doing a lot less reading this year. Hopefully, my writing will take up the slack. Either that, or I’ll get into doing framed versions of my photos and creating uniquely indistinguishable doodles.

Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Beautiful plant photo!
    If there was one more panel in that cartoon/comic, I wonder what his wife’s reaction would have been to the compromise he made with the IRS! ??? HA!
    Your doodles are fun and I watch each one at least 4 times.
    Continued bestest wishes on your writing and publishing, and drawing!

Thanks, diem3.

I kind of like when the frame accents the photo. In this case, although it’s still a nice photo, I thought the frame really helped bring it out.

As for Ethel, I always had the feeling that for all the grief they give each other, they really are there for each other. She was probably happy they could stay up late.

And thanks for the wishes.

6. Pied Type says:

I too thought of Georgia O’Keefe. That puts you in good company; she’s one of my favorites. And again, I love the doodles.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )