Still kind of busy. Also, my computer is not connected, so I’m using the wonderful WordPress app. That, for them who know me not, is sarcasm.
First of all, here’s a photo . . .
Not sure if this will work, but all these photos are also in THIS SmugMug Gallery. Also, if the app works the way I think it does, each photo is linked to the corresponding photo in the SmugMug Gallery. At least, that’s how I hope it works.
Of course, I won’t be able to check until I have my PC up and running.
So, anyway, the above was the view from the condo we had been renting since the end of June 2016. Because the owners decided to sell the place (the Kona market is pretty good right now) we looked for and found another place. The view from the new place is not as amazing . . .
On the other hand, we are closer to the town proper and within walking distance of the ocean (a couple of hundred yards).
By the way, all of these photos were captured and edited using the phone, so I’m not sure how they will look on the devices readers might use. The photos seem fine to me, but they could be crap when viewed on a proper system with a color-calibrated monitor. Then again, most people likely use their phones, so properly calibrated photos are usually wasted on them.
Before leaving the old place I snapped a couple of interesting photos. These two appear to be the remains of a gecko who died stuck between two pieces of siding. It could also be it died of old age as it’s pretty big as far as geckos go. I suppose it could be a small lizard . . . I’m not, after all, an expert on cold-blooded reptiles.
The other odd photo is something that I’ve never seen before . . . well, given the nature of things, everything we see is something we’ve never seen before, but I’m speaking more to the macro level than subatomic particles.
This is the bottom of the spoon I use to mix my coffee when I add creamer . . .
that pattern of four “v” shapes at 90 degrees to each other must have formed by the remnant of coffee on the spoon draining to where the spoon was resting (the plate had the corresponding pattern). I usually rinse the spoon after using it, but I obviously either forgot or did a really shitty job of it. Regardless, I thought the pattern was both picture-worthy and worthy of a B&W conversion . . .
One other thing I photographed before leaving the old place was the shrub near the mailbox . . . this next photo was previously shared but this has a slightly different processing (a processing I like better).
These are new . . .
Man, I can’t wait to set up the PC so that I can see how these look. It might be a while yet.
Also, it’s been a busy few days. I hit a few of the blogs I subscribed to but skipped a number of posts. Not sure if I’ll have the time to go back and read everything.
Some people might wonder why not read blogs as opposed to composing a post . . . mainly because I’m physically and mentally fried and this — editing photos and composing a post — is what keeps me from turning into an even bigger jerk than normal. In fact, people who know me encourage me to blog 24/7, but that’s a whole other story.
So, we are within walking distance of the Kona pier (two miles each way) and Friday we did just that . . . and I stopped along the way to shoot the tails tree . . .
Here’s a closeup of a few tails . . .
I think that shot merits a B&W treatment . . .
Some might wonder why I’m linking directly to SmugMug as opposed to my usual practice of linking to a larger version directly in WordPress. Well, with Lightroom it’s easy for me to output the file sizes I need as a batch process. On the phone, I have to do it manually and one file at a time. Outputting the original and a version for the blog is already time-consuming without adding one more step to generate an intermediate size. Besides, few people click on the photos anyway, and those who do probably prefer SmugMug anyway.
One thing the old place had was flowers . . . well, there are a lot of flowers along Ali’i Drive (I’m using a regular apostrophe as opposed to the okina because I can’t be bothered to check how I add special characters in Android — the alt-codes don’t seem to work and it’s too much of a bother to go learn something new right now).
I’ve played around with Snapseed to get a decent B&W rendition . . . or, something that looks decent on the phone. I hate to sound like a broken record (not really) but I don’t know how it will look on your devices.
One thing that Snapseed lets you do is stack the same adjustments. This version has three stacks of a particular set of adjustments. I like how it looks here, but even more so in the following flowers.
Except, it doesn’t work very well for “busy” photos.
I mean, it’s not bad, but it lacks the impact of simpler subjects.
That flower is from a shrub at the new complex . . . it does pretty well as B&W . . .
But, even that is not the best rendering in B&W . . . here’s one that does very well both as a color photo and as a B&W rendering.
Understand, I’m looking at these on the screen of a Note 8, roughly 5.5″ diagonally. I don’t know how it will look when viewed on a larger screen. Hopefully, as good as I see it here.
This next shot is rendered using five different processes. I can see the difference on the phone between the shots, but I don’t know if it will show up on the blog once WordPress gets their little grubby hands on the photos and work their crappening magic.
Well, that’s all the photos I’ve processed so far and it’s getting mighty late and I have an early day tomorrow . . . er . . . today.
Here’s the gallery of the above:
I don’t have my usual disclaimer, but just imagine I do . . . or go to an older post to read it.