Eight years and counting

So, yesterday was the 8th year anniversary of this blog. There were no parades, no rejoicing in the streets, and not even WordPress reminded me of the milestone.

In prior years, I’ve summarized stats like the number of posts (1,841 posts not counting this one) and followers (1,273 followers) and the number of views (127,859 views) and the number of comments (19,838 comments).

The first few years, I’d even do a demographic breakdown of the visitors and country map of their origins (I’m still waiting for someone from Greenland to look at even one of my posts) . . . wait . . . YES!

All Time Views as of March 20, 2018

Now, Svalbard, Cuba, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Papua New Guinea, Botswana, Zambia, DRC, Central African Republic, Chad, Niger, Republic of Congo, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Burkina Faso, Liberia, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Guinea-Bissau, The Gambia, Senegal, Mauritania, Western Sahara, Somalia, and Togo are feeling the pressure.

Well, Somalia has enough problems without me putting more pressure on them. I’m willing to give them a pass.

Anyway, none of that this year; I’m kind of busy and I just don’t have the time. What I can do is point you to my Second First Post (the First First Post is just an introduction) as a way of remembering the start of this journey.

What the heck . . . here’s a drawing I did last night as I was lying in bed waiting to get sleepy.  Yes, it was done on my Note 8.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, sympathy, or complaining about my life, or asking for help and advice, know you’re likely missing my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor.

This entry was posted in Opinions and Stuff, Writing Stuff and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Eight years and counting

1. Congrats! You started seven months before I began my journal.

Thank you. I actually had other blogs in places that went away.

Sad that . . . many of those posts were from a time when I was younger (obviously) and knew everything.

. . . so much wisdom lost . . .

2. macquie says:

Congratulations. :-)

3. YAY! Congrats! HAPPY 8th WP-iversary, Emilio! I’m so glad you are still blogging!

It was fun to go back and read your first 2 posts!

I could move to Svalbard or Greenland…you know…to help with your stats! Ha!

Love your drawing! Did you then dream of mouses or spiders?!

8 HUGS!!!

Thanks, and no . . . I actually had a dream of being in a house that was being stalked by a tornado. Like, the tornado kept coming back and ripping more pieces from the house. I didn’t really mind but I then got mad at someone who knocked down my mailbox.

. . . don’t know where that came from; never had anything like that before . . .

Note to any psychoanalysts out there: no, I don’t really need that interpreted. I mean, besides the obvious that it has something to do with having intestinal gas, a dog named Toto, and stamps.

Actually, I finally did get Greenland. Only one view, but that’s all I need for the country to register in the totals.

Congratulations on your anniversary. I think every anniversary is a milestone and should be celebrated by opening up a can of SPAM and a Diet Pepsi.

Congratulations on your anniversary. I look on your blog as a continuation of the days and weeks and years of sharing our enjoyment of Firefly, Serenity, and The Antisocial Bastards, and the spirit in which we all participated with others who enjoyed it all as much as we did. It may be eight years later, but that sense of humor of yours still can make me laugh out loud.

Thank you, Sandra.

It seems like ages ago but it wasn’t really all that long ago. The world has certainly changed since then . . . so I’m glad I can still make people laugh.

6. Emily Scott says:

Wa-hey! I raise a tin of spam in congratulations to you.

7. Do you mean to tell me I’ve been here 4271 times??? The War Office is right, I need to put my timeto better use

Our first interaction was on August 31, 2014, so no. By the way, you introduced yourself by complaining about one of my posts and expressed an inability to comprehend what I wrote. I knew then we were destined for a long relationship, me trying to enlighten you, and you stubbornly defying all such attempts.

Per my e-mail notifications, the total number of interactions (not counting the multiple exchanges within each interaction) is 932, so much less than 4271 . . . although even 4271 seems low.

• Do you really keep count?? If I ever get religion I shall pray for you, come to that I might get my chum to, he goes to church regularly and has direct access to god, well so Ive been told :)

I don’t keep count.

However, I use Gmail and if I go to my Gmail account and search for all the instances of your e-mail, it brings up 932 e-mail conversations (conversations are comprised of single or multiple e-mail exchanges).

Some of those e-mail conversations are notices of you responding to comments I left on your blog and some are personal correspondence we’ve had, but the bulk of those notices are comments you left on my posts.

The first instance of your e-mail showing up on my Gmail was the notification that someone named LordBeariofBow left a comment on one of my posts. Here’s the comment you left on August 31, 2014 (the first instance of you appearing on my radar using that name). Before I post it, be aware that it makes as little sense now as it did back then:

“I read it all but I’m damned if I knew what you were talking about most of the time, me, I just blog away nobody visits my pages, except for a couple of close friends who feel obliged to to keep me happy, or perhaps to humour me in my dotage.

It all sounded very complicated to me and I suppose it’s possible that there are others that read my rubbish and never comment or abuse me because I haven’t bothered to set my pages/ whatever up properly :):):):)”

I assume that makes sense to you, but perhaps that’s a bad assumption.

As far as praying for me, a much better target for prayer would be children that are dying from disease or famine. Just saying.

8. I hope that I haven’t misunderstood your irony and it’s okay for me to like this post!

9. You’ve got so many elusive countries, Greenland, Mongolia, Svalbard. I’m so impressed! How do you do it?

10. awesome.
    well, Sierra Leone here.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )