Art is as Art does . . .

. . . but that ain’t my name. At my current rate of progress, Art and I will never be intimately acquainted. Still, I persist . . . because I have a Note 8 and that comes with a stylus.

When I go to bed, I usually unwind by watching a movie that involves lots of shooting of bad guys with extreme prejudice. However, sometimes I pick up the phone, extract the stylus, fire up Painter, and . . .

That’s about a ten minutes effort. Would have been finished faster were it not for something I discovered . . . despite a clear mental image, it’s difficult drawing a sitting dog that doesn’t look like a misshapen goat. Heck, even what I got requires a big heap of imagination . . . like, imagining the figure as a dog.

But, once I had that, I unleashed the artist in me . . . by cheating. Well, not cheating, but perhaps opting for laziness and an app called Paper Artist. I know I’ve previously shown what it can do, but, this time, I went to town on it.

So, watercolors (which is what I thought I’d used) looks different when Paper Artist do them . . .

Unfortunately, I lost the clouds . . . clouds I’d slaved over for almost 12 seconds.

With mood soured, I switched out of Paper Artist and tried Snapseed . . .

Meh . . . it’s OK, I guess, but it got me wondering what it would look like in B&W and with a frame . . .

Not too bad, but Snapseed isn’t really suited for artsy stuff. I mean, it does artsy stuff, but it’s better when messing with photographs. Back to Paper Artist, it was.

There go the clouds again! What’s up with that?

I started going through the various option . . .

Pretty much, the clouds got clobbered in almost every version. To tell you the truth, the Sun didn’t fare much better.

It seemed the absence of color helped retain both the clouds and the Sun. Texture, in general, was not a friend of ephemeral details. Yes, I know the Sun will be around for a while; I’m referring to the clouds.

Anyway, there are a lot of variations, so I won’t bore you with all of them . . . but they will all be in the gallery at the end of the post.

Well, I was about to hang up my virtual paintbrush when I felt a presence . . . no, wait; that was just gas.

But, I did get an inspiration of sorts . . . Picasso! I figure that I, without a shred of talent, can certainly come up with something resembling his deliberate distortion of human characteristics.

This is more like his early years, when the drugs were just starting to take hold . . . sorry; not drugs . . . artistic vision. I’d place this as being influenced by his work in 1920; “Olga”, maybe.

Anyway, I was done with Paper Artist and went instead into the Topaz plugins. I was looking for something that would transform my pathetic scratchings into artistic gold. I tried a few things . . .

Hmm . . . if you click on them, you can see the different renditions, but all of these were fairly subtle effects.

I was ready to give up when, out of the blue, I got these two . . .

That last one, by the way, is the output from the AI ReMix effect, the newest module for Topaz Studio. It looks a lot like Deep Dream. It’s not quite as versatile (yet), but it does give interesting results. I’ll probably do a post showing what it can do.

Anyway, I looked at those two, and I correctly surmised combining them would produce something greater than the individual rendering . . .

Picasso would be proud . . . OK, OK, he would be horrified I even used his name, but since he’s dead, and since artists claim inspiration from other artists, I stand by my claim that not only I channeled Picasso, but that I purposefully did so instead of just aimlessly doodled while half asleep.

So, here’s another unrelated poll . . .

Here’s the gallery for all of the above plus a few more.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, sympathy, or complaining about my life, or asking for help and advice, know you’re  likely missing my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor.

This entry was posted in Project 313 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Art is as Art does . . .

1. paolsoren says:

It looks very interesting, but I’m having enough trouble getting things ontomy blog without having to call my daughter on the telephone. And my sister sent me her old Kindle so I can read a novel that was sent to meas a gift and I can’t do it. Maybe I’ll leave art to next week.

2. I like the blue one that makes it look like Delft pottery!

I’ll take a sub-compact SUV with all-wheel drive and 8 inches of ground clearance. Not electric (unless they throw in a free 220 line to my garage and a charging station) but with mileage in the low 30s mpg and enough HP to satisfy my inner NASCAR driver. I want it to have at least 360-degree sensors that can tell me what’s goin’ on around it all the time and even take control of the car while I rest my eyes. And it has to cost less than $27,000. A lot less. Let’s throw in a 0% interest loan and a 6 year/150,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. If I can get it painted 1969 Ford Thanks Vermilion I might take two.

Liked by 2 people

4. Eddy Winko says:

I would have said black sheep, not goat, but then things are easily lost in translation!
    I should add that I don’t really have one of each, but an old Russian 4×4 and a tiny car powered by gas. I would take the bus, but I don’t go to work.

5. Eddy Winko says:

Sorry, but I just realised that you didn’t give the option of becoming a vegan.

Lovely post, E!

7. Think you better stick to photography and gorging SPAM

8. Good art, Art!
    Er…uh…I mean Emilio!
    In the gallery…I like the 2 outdoor scenes that are bluish-purple-y! So beautiful!
    And of the face, I like all of them! Each one has character!

Thine heart beats for art, but not Art . . . wow, I could be a writer; write plays and stuff.

The blueprint versions are popular with a few people. Perhaps because they are so different.

Thanks, diem3, and yes, the face has character; a touch of innocence, a bit of hope, a hint of sadness, and a ton of personality.

Liked by 2 people

9. I like this one:

Thank you . . . My inspiration was random pokes to the options menu in Paper Artist, but now I’m searching for a deeper meaning to share with people in case they ask. Perhaps, “A New Dawn”? Or, maybe, a symbolic representation of the struggle between light and dark, good and evil, depth and shallowness, meaning and . . . what’s the opposite of meaning?

10. I’d say Nonsense is the closest thing. But even from nonsense someone could derive a meaning. Ignorance of a thing could make it meaningless to an individual. For example: a word in a foreign language means almost nothing to the perceiver until you translate it into their native language. Some things are called meaningless. Though we can assign meaning at any given moment. A person would likely be able to speculate forever about the criteria for a thing to be deemed meaningless. 100% certified and stamped meaningless only 19.95!.

This image does seem dark possibly foreshadowing doom and destruction or even a bad day fishing, but as you may know a bad day fishing is impossible. eh? It kindof has an old-timey feel, like old film. Sepia tone I think would cater more to old-timeyness
    The work speaks about the artist too. The fisher figure could be a portrait of the artist or the artist’s friend or family member. They’ve got a dog and a cool hat. They are fishing in a secluded place.

I cheated a bit . . . had I said meaningful there would be a few choices for opposites.

Perhaps “nothing” is also a good choice if taken in context.

As for fishing, I used to say a bad day fishing is when you actually catch fish. The artist — and I can speak with some confidence here — chose the scene as one that might be easy to draw.

It would’ve been were it not for his stubborn desire to include the dog. He was also testing his hypothesis that one just needs a few scratching to convey a figure (the viewer’s brain taking minimal information and filling in the voids). The hypothesis was supported by the figure of the man but was severely tested and strained with the figure of the dog which, to some eyes, still looks less like a dog and more like a porcine cousin.

However, there is a trace of justification in assuming an affinity by the artist for secluded and tranquil places devoid of humans or even the things of humans (the fishing pole notwithstanding). Alas, the artist thinks such experiences are only possible in rare and brief instances.

. . . that’s because them summabirches humans seem to be everywhere and are impossible to avoid . . . especially since so many also seek secluded and tranquil places devoid of humans and even the things of humans (including fishing poles).

Thank you for your thoughtful comment.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )