Just doodles and stuff

One of the reasons I wanted a Note 8 in replacement for my Note II is the stylus pen that comes with it.

That’s because I also have apps like Painter, Art Canvas, Paper Artist, and Pixlr. So, for instance, if I’m waiting somewhere or if I just want my mind to unwind or if I want to zone out, I apt to grab the stylus, open up Painter, and . . .

Not satisfied, I might import that into Pixlr and . . .

Or, I might really want to unwind and do something a bit more intricate . . .

. . . and again play with various styles and overlays in Pixlr.

Enabling my OCD personality, I might go all out with something like this:

You would think I’d jump into Pixlr again but I surprise myself and play with Paper Artist.

Paper Artist has a lot of effects (although some seem redundant) and a feature of the program is the ability to paint away the top-most effect to reveal a different below it. For instance . . .

These next three are all related, but slightly different and found by “peeling away” the upper layer

There are other effects mimicking painting mediums and styles . . .

That’s all fine and well, you say, but doesn’t it become repetitive? I mean, how many patterns can you do that don’t all look the same?

Well, Bob, the answers to those questions are “no” and “you’d be surprised”.

Besides, I can also use Art Canvas to Painter to draw stuff. I’m a poor excuse for an artist but . . .

“Well, that’s nice . . . bland, simple, unassuming, but nice . . . I suppose.”

Well, let me take it into Paper artist . . .

“Well, color me unimpressed!”

Oh, it’s color you want, eh? OK, then, how about this?

“OK, but where’s the drama?”

You want drama?! I’ll give you drama!

“I don’t know . . . it just doesn’t jump out at me. You know what I mean?”

Oh, you want it jumping out at you, eh? Why didn’t you say so?

“Meh . . . it all still looks too bland. Sorry; this just isn’t cutting it.”

No one is ever satisfied . . . I suppose you want something like this, right?

“Yeah! That’s what I’m talking about! But . . . can you put all the above in a gallery? And, can you randomize them in a tiled mosaic?”

*sigh* Sure, but that’s the last thing I’ll do.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, sympathy, or complaining about my life, or asking for help and advice, know you’re  likely missing my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor.

This entry was posted in Other Stuff, Stuff and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Just doodles and stuff

1. PiedType says:

I almost bought a Note, thinking the stylus would be an easier way to write rather than typing with my thumbs or whatever. It never occurred to me that I could also do stuff like this.

There are very few general apps that require a stylus . . . but all of the serious drawing apps require more precision than you can get from using your finger. That’s because we don’t have transparent fingers and even if we did, they’re not pencil-sharp.

It’s one of the reasons I used to love the Palm phones of old; the stylus. I never had much need for texting (still don’t) and when I do, I’m much faster using Swype than using my thumbs to text. I see people doing that, using their thumbs, and I can’t type like that on a screen keyboard. If I’m not swiping, I’m pecking one letter at a time with one finger. I suppose if I texted a lot I would develop the manual dexterity, but my current texting rate is one or two texts a week every other week or so.

2. Did you actually draw all those patterns with a stylus on a cell/mobile phone the Samsung 8?
    If so haven’t you got something better to do with your time than glorified doodling???
    Surely a man of you talent can find something useful to do, like dog walking

Sometimes I wonder about your capacity to read and understand written language . . . Yes, as plainly stated above, those are hand drawn, by me, with a stylus, on my Samsung Note 8. Subsequently, and still on my Samsung Note 8, I used a few different apps (that’s short for applications and refer to electronically coded instructions that can be used to accomplish various tasks on a given computing device) to alter colors, add features, and otherwise modify the original design and give it a different appearance. I’m not sure how much plainer I can make it, so I hope that sets it clear in your mind.

As for your second question . . . no.

As for your suggestion, this is as useful to me as dog walking is to you. Think of my brain as my version of Coco; I want it to be healthy, entertained, and generally unconcerned about things. Doodling is an activity that achieves all those things much like you walking Coco is beneficial to his health and quality of life.

A bigger question is why I continue blogging given the abundance of criticism I suffer vis-à-vis the few scant comments of not-quite-praise but at least devoid of castigation that come my way. The answer to that question may remain a mystery to many, but not to me.

It’s for the opportunity to engage in stimulating conversations with misguided individuals half-way around the world. One of these days, it might even happen.

3. lol Wow I am so far behind the eightball :) I never play with my phone but then again using Nokia or LG’s :) nice work.

4. Your doodles are the best doodles! So cool! I love the colors on the dark background and the B&W and B&W and gold doodles mucho muchly!
    They would be beautiful tile pieces!
    Nice work! And so cool that it is relaxing and fun!

5. Eddy Winko says:

I’m happy to read that you have found something to replace the Plam. If I remember correctly its one of the things I commented about first when I found your blog. Bring it on, the signature doodles that is.

Clever illustrations. I used to draw mazes in my notebook, especially during boring department meetings that went on for hours. A phone like the Note would have been perfect!

7. macquie says:

Thank you so much for sharing, this is exciting post. Making just one change of mode, a single graphic creates many different dramas. Also your post was good to kick sloth me to start doing my art again!

An excellent and colorful and very artsy post! Love it!

. . . and long time in coming . . .

. . . more, please . . .

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w