Ahead of the game 2018 calendars – Part 1

I used to do monthly calendars, but they were a lot of work and few people bothered downloading them. At the beginning of 2016, I switched to doing a yearly calendar . . . which I did not do for 2017.

The calendars I did were neat prism yearly calendar generated using one of the free actions PanosFX offers to subscribers and people who register at his site. It lets someone, let’s say me, create a prism yearly calendar. Like, for instance, these.

20151231_195556-01 20151231_194924-01

Each three-sided calendars can be customized with any set of three photos. You can change the colors (I left them as they are), the language (I left them in English), and choose whether you want the week to start on Sunday or Monday (I left it on Sunday).

Now, the above photos are the ones I had done for 2016. I show them so I can give people an idea of what they look like (I don’t currently have a color printer hence why the old photos), but I’m doing new calendars for 2018. Panos made a few improvements and I decided to dump a bunch of calendars here. If you want to download the action and make your own calendar (you need Photoshop or Elements), click HERE. All you have to do is register and you get any of the free actions (high quality and fun to use).

I’ll be doing a number of posts with different calendars and readers can — if they so desire — download and print any or all of them, depending on their preferences.

That’s right . . . right-click on each of the calendars, choose “Save link as”, save them to your drive, and print them out. After printing them out, follow the instructions on the tab to create your own prism calendar.

OR . . . click on any of them and they will open in a new window or tab, then you can either look at them at full resolution, or save them by saving the picture, or both.

They work best if you print them on slightly heavier stock (I used matte photo paper). I suppose you can also use them flat on a wall.

If you do opt to make the prism, glue works better than two-sided tape (what I used) because you can adjust and line up the seams a lot better (remember to clip it until the glue dries). The two-sided tape works well, but if you happen to align it wrong, you’re basically screwed. I mean, it’s not the end of the world . . . unless you are an anal retentive cuss who can’t stand stuff that is not perfectly lined up. Just saying.

They will (should) print out at 8.5 by 11, but if anyone wants, I can output them as A4. Also, in any of these languages:

Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish.

As long as I am not flooded with requests (doubtful, given my readership), I’ll rework any of those to your like with your preferred language and add them at the end of these posts (before the disclaimer).

The only thing I won’t do is change the color scheme (difficult to agree on colors and it’s also a bit of a pain). And now, here is the first batch of 2018 calendars.

Remember to right-click and “Save link as” to get the full-size version. If you save the image, you’ll get a smaller version unless you first open the image in a new window or tab.

Oh, one other thing . . . if you have specific photos of mine that you want me to use, let me know before the end of the year and I’ll post a calendar with those photos. Again, that’s predicated on me not getting swamped with requests (very unlikely but within the realm of possibility). You can either point to photos in existing posts or go to my SmugMug site and tell me the gallery and photo position/number of the individual photos.

I’ll be adding more calendars as the mood hits me.

This entry was posted in Other Stuff and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Ahead of the game 2018 calendars – Part 1

1. Nice idea, great pictures. With three young grandchildren I am never without a calendar made at school at Christmas time!

2. Erik Mendoza says:

Thanks Emilio!

3. hinterlanded says:

Thanks. What a nice idea, is it okay to grab a few?

I have intended to get a nice color printer in 2017 but I don’t think it’s going to happen. I would love to print out calendars as well as other photos but I’m just going to have to wait a little while. I like the idea of the calendars that you have. PanosFX has some excellent actions available, too.

Yes, he does. I will probably buy some sort of printer because I liked printing my own photos, but for the cost of ink and paper, I will seriously look at just using SmugMug. The question is control. I wanted the prints to have a particular look and feel and I used to adapt the photos to the paper I would use. The labs are supposed to do the same thing, but anytime someone else controls the final product, you risk not getting exactly what you want.

• oneowner says:

I’ve been getting prints made at AdoramaPix and MPIX. They do a very nice job for a reasonable price, especially if you wait for their 30% off sale. AdoramaPix prints my book every year and they do the best work I’ve seen in a book. I plan on doing a “cosmic…” book next year. With that in mind, it’s difficult to justify spending a lot on a printer but it’s a process I’m interested in so I may as well make the jump.

I think I picked Bay-something-or-other lab for SmugMug. Costco also does books and products. I ordered two mouse pads for us and they look very nice. I’ve ordered mugs from them and those also turned out well. Other than for prints, the printer is not justified as it can’t do products but like you say, the process is part of the fun. Plus, there is a certain amount of satisfaction at having a hand in the making of a print as opposed to receiving it in the mail.

Just curious; what kind of books do you do? Meaning, are they for family and friends or do you sell them?

5. Your calendars are cool and beautiful, Emilio! Thank you for sharing!
    I especially like the ones using your bird photos.
    Hope your whee-kend is going well!
    Busy here…and we are supposed to get snow in the mix.

6. Love those calendars, especially the birds and flowers. very peaceful.

I don’t have photoshop, don’t even know what it is, I’ve got something for doing my pictures called Cyberlink photo director, got the whole kit an caboodle and haven’t a clue how to use them.

Buggered if I know why I bought this lot.

Well, ElBoB, like most people, you probably bought it because you had some idea or other about doing something with the photos and/or videos you take. That idea ran away when — like most people — you figured out that it’s not just turning a dial or throwing a switch. You actually have to learn stuff!

“Well, forget that crap!” you and 90% of the people said. “If I wanted to learn stuff I would have gone to . . . what’s that place where people go to learn stuff? Anyway, I would have gone somewhere and learned it. Nope; not interested in knowing stuff; I just want stuff to happen like by magic.”

I know, right? . . . it’s like I was there recording you say that.

• You’d have made a great pope, I suppose being an eyetalian capitalist you were brought up to be a man of the cloth.

Well, infallibility kind of flows in my blood, so I suppose it’s easy confusing me with the pope but rest assured I wandered far from what anyone’s expectations (if even they held any) and those expectations never included anything of a religious nature.

• Actually when I bought my ASUS a few years back the Cyberlink was included, on the machine and I just upgraded for no other reason than they kind of asked me to. How could I refuse?

Well, it’s easy. You just say “I have no idea what it is, how to use it, or what it’s good for. It’ll just take up space on my machine so I rather it be removed.”

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w