Just passing time

I almost have the writing bug again. Almost, but not right now. I do have two ideas that are rattling around my brain, but they need to jell a bit more. Interesting side story . . . both ideas came to me while I was half asleep (drifting, as I call it) pretty much in the middle of the night and after my deep sleep. I usually lose those . . . but, Note 8 to the rescue. If you pull the stylus, you can just start writing on the screen. Conveniently, it’s black, so it doesn’t blind your darkness-adjusted eyes. Anyway, I jotted down my ideas and I had them for when I was fully awake. Soon, you’ll be able to read the result . . . I hope.

By the way, that’s what three eggs, some milk, Half & Half, and a pinch of salt looks like before it’s whisked into French Toast batter.

Say, do you remember THIS post? It had this photo in it.

Here’s a video from that day (October 25th)

Well, on November 10th, I took this video:

Here are a couple of stills from that day . . .

You’ll notice the difference in tonal quality between the video and the photo. I did process the photo a bit, but only a bit. Subsequent to that video, I played around with some of the settings for taking videos and you’ll see below that it made a difference.

Before I get to those, here’s a shot of one of the churches on Aliʻi Drive.

This was snapped as I sat in the car, waiting for construction-related traffic to clear.

By the way, these photos are all in the Samsung Note 8 SmugMug Gallery HERE

Anyway, keeping the last beach photo in mind, here’s the one from the 15th.

As you can see, most of the rocks are covered. Unless we have another storm, the sand will just keep building, leveling the upper tier and reducing the length of that beach slope.

Here’s an interesting thing that surprised me. Along with the above photo, I had shot two more . . .

I didn’t take particular care to line them up or overlap them, and they weren’t taken with the idea of making a panorama . . . but, that’s what Google Photos did on its own. I got a message asking if I wanted to save it. I said yes, and here it is:

The full-size version can be seen in the SmugMug Gallery OR you can click HERE and it will open a 6700×2400 pixel photo in a new window or tab (6MB – don’t click unless you have a good internet hookup or lots of data in your phone package).

Of course I have video for the above scene!

This next video is three-and-a-half minutes long. The original is 44 seconds long at normal speed. If three minutes is too long for you to watch (gosh, you must be busy!) the subsequent videos are shorter.

This next video is a minute long . . .

And this next one is only 45 seconds. It has a nice initial wave.

Let me take a bit of a detour . . . well, not much of one.

Remember I mentioned that Google Photos has an assistant that will assemble videos (slide-shows) for you and ask if you want to keep them? Well, The Gallery app on the Note 8 has a similar thing. In fact, it created a bunch of “stories” dating back to 2005. I won’t show them all, but I have to share a few.

This first one is from Feb. 1-2, 2014, while we were still living in Monument, Colorado. This is the exact version the app produced.

I thought that music was rather funereal.

I went to the next video, and it had the same music. This covered photos from July of last year.

Around this time — not wanting to get a noose and hang myself — I explored under the hood a bit. It turns out you have your choice of themes and music. In this next video, both the theme and the music were selected by me.

OK, this was a bit better, but I still thought the music was no match for the graphics. By the way, I don’t control when all the various effects come on.

I thought I could do even better, and came up with this . . .

OK, a little corny, but it’s not awful. If anyone is interested, that compilation uses photos and videos that I used in THIS post. The videos that look “weird” are negatives of the originals.

Really, there was only one video that I really liked and for that one, I went and found a piece of music that was more suitable for it. The music itself is licensed under a creative commons license, hence why I’m able to use it. I mention this because the music I had picked from the “free” selection under the Gallery App, was immediately claimed by someone on YouTube and they then get to run ads on my video (because I’m using their music).

Now, I’m pretty sure that music is not copyrighted, but rather than argue with them, I canned the original video and posted it with this music which — in my opinion — is more appropriate.

You might notice some of the videos have a better quality than others. It depends on what photos the automatic process grabs. I usually have two versions of the photos. The original and the ones that I post on the blog when I travel (and hence have a lower bandwidth). If they pick the smaller photos (as they did in a couple of the movies) the quality suffers. That last one used the higher resolution photos so it’s not too bad.

Ok, that’s enough for videos for a bit . . . let me turn to the drive we took Thursday. We hadn’t been to Hilo for a bit, so we took a ride out there. Of course, we ate at the Cafe 100 and I had my favorite . . . a Super Loco. Here are photos I showcased in THIS post.

There were no leftovers.

We then took the opportunity to drive up along the East side of the island and stop at Tex for some fresh malasadas.

That photo is from THIS post which has more photos from Tex.

The east side of the island is prone to more rain than Kona (a lot more rain) and Thursday was no exception.

Yes, I can drive, snap photos, and drink coffee, all at the same time.

Here’s what rain on the windshield looks like . . .

This stretch of road — immediately after you leave Tex and head North toward Waimea — is one of my favorite on the island because of the tall trees. The fog/rain just adds to the beauty of it.

Even after leaving the tall trees, the scenery is enhanced by the clouds coming up from the valley below.

. . . but it did get a bit soupy . . .

Of course, that just makes me want to go faster because if I can’t see a cop, they also can’t see me.

Oh, you know what? There are two more videos. We actually went inside a mall while in Hilo. These two videos were shot inside there.

The first one is 40 seconds . . .

The second one is 80 seconds . . .

I guess there’s something about joining groups and socializing because these people seemed to be enjoying themselves . . . still not for me, though. All that smiling would just tire me out.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, sympathy, or complaining about my life, or asking for help and advice, know you’re  likely missing my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor.

This entry was posted in Hawaii, My YouTube, Photography, Photography Stuff, The Big Island, Travel Stuff, YouTube Stuff and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Just passing time

Aww . . . such a wholesome, comforting post! The slow-motion waves, the “home” movies, the food, the tree-lined road, the fog . . . and the cute seniors! Love it!

2. hinterlanded says:

Great pics. I’m curious as to what the cheezy girl on the Cafe 100 menu might be?

3. No wonder there’s an obesity problem in the US of A; I saw your egg mixture stuff on an email from Twitter, didn’t know you were a twit; hows your buddy donald getting on?

I eat to my capacity, and no more.

I have a Twitter account, a Facebook account, an Instagram account, a Pinterest account, a Tumblr account, emails on Yahoo, AOL (actually, two), ZoHo, ProtonMail, GMail, a Blogger account, an Ello account, SmugMug account, PhotoBucket account . . . I could go on, but you get the picture. If there is a new platform or service that looks like it will last for a bit, I get an account.

As for my buddy, I guess he’s doing OK; he has a roof over his head that someone else pays for and people drive him around and probably help with other stuff I rather not think about . . . reminds me a lot of Brittish Monarchs.

• Except that it costs a damned sight more to run the POTUS air force 1, Secret Service detail need I go on? The Queen pays all that she earns??? from all of her properties to the government, some many millions of pounds sterling per annum, How much does trump pay?

Yes, yes, she pays with money she earned by the sweat of her brow, right?

No, wait . . . I think I remember reading something about the Royal Families and divine rights, empires, stealing resources from all around the world, plundering art, wars, exploiting the peasants, and other stuff that right now slips my mind.

But, at least she performs a useful function, right? Makes decisions, governs the land, and all that?

No, wait . . . she and the royal family are basically ornamental, right?

Oh, she’s head of the Church of England; Supreme Governor or something like that. Now, there’s a useful job!

I think I was right; the Royals are just expensive decorations . . . but, what do I know. I’m just a poor immigrant from Italy where I was a refugee from Yugoslavia from a part that is now Slovenia. Ain’t got me no nationalistic tendencies and certainly no loyalty to royalty. Strange, though . . . royals don’t seem too partial to socialism. Huh! Go figure.

• Perhaps you should run for POTUS and then ban Americans from going to England so that they can gape at the royals and spend their dollars
          The Yanks are pretty good at
          doing that only have to look at the Oscars and the Emmys to see how they love to fawn over the ‘American ‘ROYALTY” The yanks cant get enough of that stuff and if they can get to England and see the real thing WOW, They can live off the stories for ever.

I knew it! All this talk of socialism masks a Royalist through-and-through!

I bet all your talk about religion is also but a ruse hiding your true allegiance.

As for our celebrities, you won’t hear me defend them. Also, I agree with you . . . I have no idea what people see in England that would make them want to go there. I fault our charitable tendencies as it could be a case of “there, but for the grace of a merciful FSM, go I.” But, and this I cannot deny, it could also be as you say; some people are easily distracted by baubles.

Note to my readers from England: I’m just tweaking a Royalist. I think I would enjoy a trip there. Wait, I mean Scotland. That’s like England, right? And Ireland. I think I would like that part of England as well. Maybe one day . . .

• I have never denied, in fact always stated that as an Englishman I am a devoted confirmed Royalist.
          I have, as an ‘Australian’ always been a firm supporter of this country becoming a Republic. I voted for the Republic a few years ago. I am a fully paid up, card carrying member, of the Australian Labor Party; (this month having paid up for another 3 yeas Party membership, – feeling somewhat confident of making another 3 years), the ALP is at the forefront of the push for a Republic. Indeed it’s part of our manifesto.
          There is no conflict of interest, it is a matter to me of the right thing, the Australian way when I arrived here and which became instilled in me as the ‘Right Thing’.
          I am not an Australian citizen and have made it quite clear that I will not become an Australian citizen until such time as this country becomes a Republic.
          I had had hopes that that was going to happen on the 1st January 2001; when in the 1990’s we had the great Australian, Paul Keating, orator, leader, as our Prime Minister, confident that the Republic would be established on that date when I would become the first person to take Australian citizenship with Number One on my citizenship papers and my place in history as becoming the first naturalized Australian of the Republic.
          It was not to be and I’m still waiting.
          I cannot see why the hell I should take the Oath and swear allegiance to, in effect the Queen of England when I’m already one of her subjects.

I am quite at ease with this apparent conflict and it concerns me not at all.
          There may yet be time, but it is running out quickly.

• I do believe the Americans are quite excited that they have a young, mixed race, actress possibly going to marry into the English/British Royal Family.
          I have noticed in many American TV shows/programs (especially The West Wing) they often refer to the Queen, the implication is always the Queen of England, not Holland or Spain or ant other country that has a Queen as Head of State. And with all this the idiots in Hollywood wherever have no idea of the protocol surrounding the way the British Royal Family operates. I must admit in that WW series I was much amused by the sheer ignorance of the American s when it came to the ‘wedding of daughter of the President of the United States,.
          The clowns had the Queen and her husband the Duke of Edinburgh as guest mingling with the the guests. This cold never happen ever.
          The Queen is not permitted to attend the wedding of those of lesser rank than she, with the exception of immediate family. She sends a junior member of ‘The Firm’ ; as she calls the family, to represent her.

The Queen has to do as she is told, believe it or not, she has less freedom than you or I, she’s not allowed to vote (like convicted felons in the US) and when she opens ‘her’ Parliament, she has to read the speech given to her by the Prie Minister, like it or lumop it. she is not allowed to say what she wants, do as your told serve the country or abdicate. I doubt that you’d believe any of this or come to that understand it or the reasons why this is so!

The Queen has as yet to give her approval Prince Harry cannot marry without it, unless relinquishing everything (as the late unlamented Duke of Windsor had to do to marry an American divorcée.)
          I do believe that she will give Prince Harry the go ahead if he asks, she allowed her son to marry a divorcée; but not her sister which had very bad consequences, So the precedent has been set.
          I have no doubt in my mind that the Americans in their ignorance of the way the monarchy works in the United Kingdoms, will refer to her as Princess Megan.
          This she can and will never, if they do marry she will be referred to as HRH Megan Duchess of ??????, (I’d imagine something like, Clarance although that has bad connotations) If she wishes to be known as Princess she will have to be known as, and take the title, Her Royal Highness Princess Henry of Wales.

Won’t the Yanks just love that? I don’t think so, they are desperately hoping in the US media to have their very own Princess Megan, and much as you don’t give a damn, you cannot possibly deny this, and hope to retain your status as a man of some intelligence, little or otherwise. You will admit to the truth of this

Wow . . . you pay to be a member of a party? That’s sad.

As for all the other stuff, let me just say that. yes, I was familiar with a lot of that. Some of the family drama stuff I was unaware of because — as you mention — I could care less.

As for me admitting or not that some people in the US are enamored with and fawn over every minor celebrity they hear about, I’m not sure why I should or shouldn’t since — as you mention — I could care less.

I will inform you that whether I do or don’t has little bearing on my intellect or lack thereof.

• Why is it sad? I don’t find it so

Well, I’m not a member of any party, but let’s say I want to be a member of either party or even one of the fringe third parties . . . I can register as such and not have to pay anything.

It seems to me that you are doing them a favor and that you shouldn’t have to pay for it. But, that’s just me.

• I think that the main reason we pay our dues is that those sufficiently interested and willing to pay also have the right to participate in framing the Party’s policy and platform, else we’d get any old blow in wanting to take over and run the show. Up until quite recently when an election was called each party had to fund it’s own election campaign , every single penny then cent had to come from members pockets. We didn’t have the American system where there are big political donors, on both sides, it’s now getting that way except that they only donate one way, to the conservatives think rupert murdock et al .
          I have the right to go and elect the leader of our party whereas my wife isn’t and why should she? Why should she wander along to our party rooms when we are electing a leader and be entitled to vote on the matter.
          Everyone in Australia over 18 is a registered voter, But without the safe guard of financial membership say a large group of conservatives could enter our rooms and nominate and elect one of their own, No we pay to join our party of choice and that and our membership card gives us the power to elect one of our own> And to my mind that’s the way it should be

So, let me get this straight . . . you’re saying conservatives would not be able to pay dues and join your party just to mess about with the selection process?

I’m curious . . . how do you ensure only the “right” people join?

• They could try but we’d soon pick them out no worries.

• oneowner says:

What, no Google+???

If you have GMail, you have a Google account, and hence Google+. I don’t use it much, but my post do go up there automatically when I post here (or, they should; I haven’t checked lately).

4. All enjoyable photos and vids, Emilio! But, I REALLY loved the snow and cacti vids…the rain photos…and the vids of the well-seasoned dancing people! I’d dance with them!
    Ha, on your smiling comment! :-P And, I need to tell you…This post had me grinning all the way through!
    OH, BTW…the music you selected was w-a-y better!
    YAY that you had some writing ideas invade your brain!
    (I’ve dreamt things that have become stories and poems, and I’ve had ideas or “lines” come to me while I’m trying to go to sleep, so I’ve jotted them down and they’ve become poems.)
    HUGS!!! Happy Sunday!!! :-)

5. seekraz says:

I rather admire those rainy-windshield pictures…they rather look like the Pacific Northwest….

The town of Waimea is at the edge of a demarcation between an area that gets substantially more rain than the drier area and we’re talking literally within a quarter mile you go from dense fog or rain to bright sunshine. Clouds come up from the valleys below and when we were looking at houses in the area, people spoke of the wet and dry side of Waimea as far as location. The center of the town itself is only a few miles long and the West side is the preferred (and more expensive) side to live in.

And yes, it’s weird to be driving in bright sunshine on the Big Island one moment and then be driving the Olympic Peninsula the next . . . and then back again.