Not the One Ring

I felt like posting some quick stuff so I took some of the Note 8 flower photos from a few post ago and played with them using a mix of the tools I have at my disposal.

The full-size photos can be seen in THIS SmugMug Gallery, but since they are overly modified, the pixel-level view may be of limited use. Readers can also click on a photo to have a larger version open in a new tab or window.

I also decided to share some of the movies Google Photos assembles all on its own from photos from a given day. It’s not like it does it every day, so I don’t know how they decide to do it at all. They are occasionally not bad as far as these things go. For instance, here’s one:

Those are from the same day that I took the photos I’m using in this post and it also used snippets of the videos I took that day. It also used a couple of photos I deleted. You see, my photos automatically upload to the cloud, and not just in one place, but two.

There are two more videos but they are too short to load on YouTube, so I’ll load them directly here.

For instance, this is the video assembled from the beginning of my recent vacation.

I know, the music is a bit cheesy, but it’s not a bad arrangement.

This is a more recent video. Regular readers will have seen some of these in one of my recent posts. I would have left out the video clip of the people singing.

But, back to the photos I messed with . . .

For the most part, I used Topaz Impressions — like the two photos above — but I also tried my hand at extreme processing of the originals . . .

I like that the processing brings out the texture . . . but not that it amplifies the part that is not in focus.

This next one cranks up the colors . . .

. . . but I think it looks better darker and with more saturation . . .

That, I’ll use on Deep Dream . . . in fact, let me do it now. Oops . . . it’s pretty busy, so I’ll come back to it once it’s finished. Meanwhile, back to artsy renditions using Impression. I think this is one of the Edward Hopper filters.

I think that’s a good rendering.

I wanted to see what my regular processing does with the Note 8 photos . . .

These are probably pushed a bit more than usual because I wanted to see how the photo would handle it (edges of features, saturation/colors, sharpness, etc). You know what? It handles the extra push without too much trouble. I could have taken down the noise a bit, thus softening up the photo, but I don’t mind this look.

Hey, Deep Dream is done . . .

Eh, not amazing, but somewhat interesting.

Here’s the last of the photos; grass treated with the Georgia O’Keefe filter.

Right now, readers are asking themselves what all this has to do with the title of the post.

The stuff above here, nothing. This next video, everything.

By the way, you can further slow the video using the settings for the video (lower right, the symbol with the HD over it).

Here’s the very short gallery of the above photos:

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, sympathy, or complaining about my life, or asking for help and advice, know you’re  likely missing my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor.

This entry was posted in My YouTube, Photo-effects, Photography, Photography Stuff and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Not the One Ring

1. hinterlanded says:

Hi Disperser

New reader here. I have no idea how I got here but having looked around my best guess is that your photographs hold powerful zen-like properties.

I have a sore face, stomach and ribs. Thanks.

. . . uh . . . thanks?

I mean, I don’t know what to make of this . . . zen-like implies calm, reflectiveness, and that contrasts with the facial, internal, and skeletal distress you profess. It also appears as if you are thanking me for said distress and that too gives me pause.

On the one hand, irony could be at play here, whereas you somehow hold me responsible for said physical afflictions. On the other hand, you could be suffering said physical afflictions and the zen-like calming effect of my photos alleviated the perceived severity of them.

I must ponder what all this means as well as consider that zen-like also applies to the use of cryptic, apparently nonsensical parables . . . I must now confer with my own inner center and resolve the apparent contradictory information by channeling my focus to the kerning of this feedback so as to achieve a balanced energy influx from said feedback.

Again, . . . thanks?

2. hinterlanded says:

You are very welcome. Are you being modest? Surely I didn’t misread the presence of early chan (c.600-900) “shock techniques” in your photography. What else could have brought me here?

As for my facial, internal, and skeletal distress, the only issue with this is that it may have subdued my urge to mug someone today, so again, thanks.

Ah, I see the problem. You are confusing Early Chan with Middle Chan (c. 750-1000), also known as Classical Chan.

You are correct my work is influenced by Early Chan, but you are mistaken if you see “Shock Techniques” for those are associated with the Hung-chou School which was definitively Middle Chan.

It’s also incorrect to assume that the Early Chan influence — as it relates to my photos — manifests as an attempt to induce Subitism; in actuality, I lean toward the teachings of the Northern School, or Gradualism. Hence my practice of flooding each post — and comments — with large numbers of words and/or photos in the belief that enlightenment can only be achieved gradually and by means of continued exposure to subtle triggers. And, no, I have no evidence that it has worked on any of my readers, although many have left through the years so I can only assume they achieved whatever inner peace they sought and moved on to higher planes of existence.

As for what has brought you here . . . well, that gets to the whole question of dualism and free will, a topic much too complex for this limited form of communication. You could just accept — as I often do — that no purpose and no guiding hand directs the paths we travel. All is chaos, and if one is to surmise any mechanism affects our travels, it would have to be Chance. Some ascribe a will to Chance, but that is self-contradictory and it’s a futile path to pursue.

All I can tell you is to perhaps let go of the emotional burden of purpose and just enjoy being here.

As for the suppression of your mugging urge, know that it makes me feel good indeed as this — as you must know from the disclaimer at the bottom of my post — is one of the stated goals of this blog. I am somewhat distressed by the implication that this is only a temporary effect, but to that end, I can tell you that I have 1,773 other posts you could read. If you parcel them out judiciously (one a day, like the vitamins), those should last you for nearly five years worth of muggings-free days. By then, I should probably have another thousand or so posts which will carry you another three years, and so on and on . . . although it worries me that a time will come when I will have to write a post a day just to keep pace with your mugging urges.

You know, you could also get someone to physically damage — as in break — any number of your skeletal components as that too would be effective in subduing the aforementioned mugging tendencies. Why, I’m sure some of your past mugging victims would happily help you out with that.

But, in my opinion, you would be much better off just reading my posts. I can’t say that it would be any less painful, but doing so won’t leave any physical scars. Emotionally? OK, there is a risk you might meld to my way of thinking and view of the world, but I contend that would not be a bad thing because — if you ask me — the world needs more people like me. What? No; no one has told me that, and I never heard it said, but that’s just something I know down to my very core.

3. WandaFaye says:

Loved the ‘Not the One Ring’! I slowed the speed to 0.75, cranked up the volume and let my mind unwind with the motion and sound of the ring!

Both of the colorful leaves photos got my attention . . . and that’s because they resonate strongly with my inner center! Actually, that’s quite true since bold colors (especially like the first version) do strike notes of pleasurable delight. But using that photo to put the lion through Deep Dream may have dethroned him a bit . . . court-jesterized him perhaps . . .

Anyway, interesting how Google plays with your photos. And one last thing, the “THIS” to your SmugMug isn’t linked.

That was just a quick pass on Deep Dream to see what it would do. I need to find a suitable target for them colorful leaves. And thanks, I fixed the link.

As for Google, most of the stuff it comes up with is not all that great. I mean, it’s OK because there’s no effort on my part, but if I wanted something like that, I think I would do a better job . . . if I had the time.

I admit to being a fan of Google Photos but I don’t care for the little movies they randomly stitch together. They have made it easy to download photos where I can easily import them into Lightroom. Before GP, that was a tedious job.

Be aware that unless you switch it on, they optimize the photos when they upload them. If you switch on the full-size original as what gets uploaded, then they count toward your storage limits. Their optimized versions of the photos are stored for free (at least for now) and there’s no limit.

Realistically, I don’t know what that means to the quality of the optimized photo versus the original since I have other methods to transfer the original photos to the PC.

And yes, I don’t really need or want them to make those little movies or albums. I should probably look into how to switch that off. That said, this is the first time I’ve even bothered to look at them. I think that — after a while — they may just go away unless you save them.

6. I think the vids are a great way to view your magnificent photos! And the music was peppy and fun! The Not the One Ring vid was VERY cool!
    I think your messed-with photos and your Deep Dream photo creations are always great.
    Personally, I like the lion. He is camouflaged to the Nth degree.
    And I love love love when you use the Georgia O’Keefe filter.
    I enjoyed seeing the flowers and leaves enlarged-close up in the SMUGMUG gallery. Love the ducks, too!

Thanks. The problem I see with Google doing that is that invariably there are things that they include that I don’t want. I’ve not seen where I can edit them, so most of the movies I’ve seen them create I would likely never use. If they let me edit them, maybe.

For instance, they had a great movie summarizing the photos of 2013 . . . except that I was working at the time, and on a couple of occasions in 2013 I used the phone to document some work stuff and I would have violated non-disclosure agreements if I ever shared that movie. For that matter, when I left work, I had to go through my accounts and backups to scrub those photos out.

I would have loved to have used that video and ys, I could probably edit it with a third party app, but that’s work. Now, I think I have the option to make my own movies using Google Photos, but the other reason I probably won’t is that I had invested time and effort into Picasa . . . and then Google canned the program and went to Google+ (there went most of my albums and links to original-size photos, and especially links I had on some blog posts). Then, they kind of split G+ into Google Drive and Google Photos. I can rely on a company that keeps changing stuff around for their own benefit.

That said, I should probably make those kinds of videos for my readers . . . hmm . . .

Glad you enjoyed SmugMug. That’s one of my dump-stuff-here gallery for photos that are not part of a set.

Two galleries you might be interested in (lots of photos):

and

7. Looks like you are having way too much fun with all this. Playing around with no deadline/assignment is the only way I can learn stuff – this is pretty impressive (and if I wasn’t so tired, I’d probably could come up with a less trite comment. ) The One Ring is mesmerizing

8. Margy says:

Loved all the photos, but especially the grass treated with the Georgia O’Keefe filter!