Reflection on Reflection

Another quick post . . . what is this world coming to?

Anyway, an article in the latest Photoshop User Magazine caught my attention. I’ve seen various instructions on creating realistic water reflections, but this one looked to be a good one. Heck, it was in 3D, so you know it has to be good.

Here’s the first original I played with . . .

. . . and here’s my first attempt . . .

Not bad, but I had to tweak the finished product because when I rendered the image the result was a dark and overly-saturated version of what I started with.

For instance, starting with this shot . . .

. . . I end up with this shot . . .

It’s like some blend parameter is set to Overlay or Multiply. I can play around with it a bit and get something passable . . .

. . . but the colors are way off from the original.

I mean, the process produces pretty good results with what I think are outstanding effects for the water. Heck, I can even add text . . .

. . . but the color of the end product looks nothing like the color in the original photo.

One of the advantages of the method described is that it forms a template of sorts. You can easily swap out the underlying photo for another. But, look what happened when I take this original . . .

. . . and drop it in there.

I would say that the colors are a bit messed up. Now, I can play with saturation, luminosity, hues, brightness, etc. and get something that some might find passable . . .

. . . but at this point, the photo is greatly diminished and I can’t quite match the original because there’s just too much red in the photo.

I suspect this has to do with the color space. Somewhere, either in the rendering process or one of the other functions, there’s a conflict with the photo’s original color space. You see this a lot when a printer driver conflicts with printer settings; the colors get all messed up.

I’ll figure it out, eventually, but meanwhile, I’m fairly pleased to have found a way to add reflections in photos that might benefit from them.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, sympathy, or complaining about my life, or asking for help and advice, know you’re  likely missing my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor.

This entry was posted in Photo-effects, Photography, Photography Stuff and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Reflection on Reflection

1. mvschulze says:

Definatly some promise….but a few of these are a little overboard, to me!. (not pun intended, I don’t think!? M :-)

Interesting effect. Specifically, which magazine is this article in?

It’s the July issue of Photoshop User. If you are a member of Kelby One, the magazine is included with the membership.

I think, but don’t know for sure, that you can still find the magazine in bookstores and places where magazines are sold, but I think it’s something like $8 or so.

That said, anyone wanting to learn how to use Photoshop and Lightroom should look into a membership. It’s not cheap ($200 a year) but they do have sales twice a year that knock that down to $150 or so.

You can also pay the $20/month and have access to all their courses and most of the other benefits. The video courses are pretty good. I don’t know if the monthly membership gives you access to all the archives, but if it does, it’s a terrific deal. Just downloading the PDF for the magazines would be worth the price as each issue is full of hints and How-To articles. I say that because I’m assuming you can just pay for a month or two and get your money’s worth out of it.

. . . no, I don’t get a kickback . . .

I just checked YouTube. Lots of videos on making reflections with photoshop. I’ve not looked at any, but that would be the free way to go.

3. These are really cool! Who knew you could do this!? You did, but I didn’t! :-)
    I love reflection photos, and that you can add reflections to these photos is wild!
    The first and second reflection photos are amazing! :-)
    BTW: the mountains and rock formations in your photos are magnificent!

Mountains and rock formations do very well in reflections. So now you have another tool to allow you to get even more creative! Good for us!

5. One of your better posts.

6. I love the space landscape one 4th down! Great processing.

Thanks . . . although it’s not intentional. Just playing with some processing techniques but, by golly, I suppose it could be an alien landscape. It certainly looks like it when seen in person.