Spam, the Moon, Palm Trees, and the Golden Bear

I was remiss in marking a monumental occasion . . . the 80th anniversary of the introduction of Spam.

Spam can.png

Image courtesy of Wikipedia Media

The link will take you to a Smithsonian article about the history of Spam.

While I’m here, let me post a few shots of the (nearly) full moon. These shots are from five days ago, processed slightly different from each other.

These next two shots are from two days ago . . .

All of the shots in this post were shot handheld with the Nikon P900. They are the original JPG with very light processing and with a frame added. Except, you know, it’s black, so you can’t really see the frame but, trust me, it’s there.

Wow . . . this is a quick post; only a few photos of the moon. There are a few more in the gallery below but still . . . remarkable restraint on my part, don’t you think? As usual, you can click on the photos for a larger version or go to THIS SmugMug Gallery for the originals.

I mentioned Palm Trees in the title, but I’m actually showcasing something that is not a true palm; it’s a Traveler’s Plant. It’s sometimes referred to as Traveler’s Palm, but its actual name is Ravenala

Regardless of the genealogy, if someone asks me about my favorite palm, I will point to this plant (figuring they won’t know it’s not a palm).

I like the way the leaves grow, forming an interesting near-symmetrical pattern.

We drive by these every day after our walk and on our way to the gym. On this particular day, the light was what I wanted; bright enough to shoot at a low ISO, but not full sun that would wash away details and make everything look harsh.

There is a whole row of these in the back of the local Target and they seem well-maintained and cared for.

Here’s a younger one . . .

. . . and here’s a single parent with a few kids . . .

. . . and here’s a runaway teen.

Like I said, I like the shape and patterns, so here are a few examples . . .

I made a vertical panorama from a set of six photos . . . Can you spot the ant and the other bug?

Here’s the interesting thing . . . the photo appears as if it tapers as it nears the top. Trickery! That’s your brain trying to fool you. That shot is perfectly rectangular.

There’s even more trickery involved . . . I opted to fill in the periphery after joining all of the shots. If you look at it at 100% magnification (HERE – 9.5MB file) you might be able to spot the patches.

Here are a couple of the individual shots making up that panorama.

By the way, giving Target its due . . .

The post wouldn’t be complete without a closeup of the leaves. All the closeups shots are shot from about twenty-thirty feet away with the long zoom of the P900.

Believe it or not, I’m done!

No, wait . . . the Golden Bear . . .

This training ship has been anchored in the bay for the past three days. It raised anchor during this morning’s walk and we watched it sail away. I mean, we were walking and we would occasionally look up to see where it was. Our walk ended before it disappeared below the horizon.

Its position at the time of this writing is between the islands of Hawaiʻi and Maui. You can read about its travels, details, and destination HERE.

Here’s the gallery of all the photos above plus a few more:

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, sympathy, or complaining about my life, or asking for help and advice, know you’re  likely missing my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor.

This entry was posted in Musings Stuff, Personal, Photography, Photography Stuff and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Spam, the Moon, Palm Trees, and the Golden Bear

Now I want a Traveler’s Palm but I doubt it’ll survive in a zone 3 climate. Very nice shots, though.

2. John says:

Great Palm photos! I’ve tried for moon photos many times but don’t understand the correct camera settings. You’ve got it!

3. manisha says:

Nice Captured and combination.

4. renxkyoko says:

The leaves look like banana leaves, the trunk looks like a palm tree’s, and the flowering tree( with white flowers ) looks like calachuchi. The calachuchi will grow very tall with plenty of these scented flowers.

It is a unique tree and I can easily spot them from afar. This is the only place where I can easily photograph them undisturbed and from a public road.

• renxkyoko says:

I ‘d seen this tree in the Philippines, in parks and private gardens. It does look very ornamental. And that calachuchi… it will grow as tall as a regular tree. There are quite a few of that lining the roads at our subdivision there. And fire trees….. the flowers are either red or orange. Have you seen fire trees yet ?

5. Wow! The Traveler’s Palm is SO beautiful and unique! I am a fan of how fanny they are!
    I want a whole family of them! Wow, Emilio, your photos of them are amazing! You’ve captured color, shape, textures, patterns! Oh, and bugs! I did spot a few little buggies! :-D

Happy Birthday, Spam! You’re lookin’ really good for your age! Yum Yum! :-)

Been too cloudy and rainy here the past week+ to see the moon…I miss it…so I enjoyed seeing it in your photos!

Thanks, diem3. It’s been cloudy here as well hence why so long before I shot the moon (he, he).

Spam is good at any age. Hurricane season is upon us, so I’ll probably add another case to our reserve.

• HA! on shot-ting the moon! :-D
        Hmm…wonder how long a shelf-life SPAM has. ?! :-)

There are cans that are older than the introduction date . . .

. . . no, seriously, “they” say 2-5 years, unopened. In actuality, that’s just the time during which they guarantee taste. As long as the vacuum has not been lost, the liquid is still clear, and there’s no “eat me and you die” smell, I would probably eat it. Of course, if I don’t have to eat ten-years-old Spam, I probably wouldn’t.

On the other hand, when people are starving they tend to be a lot less selective.

6. And here I was, thinking that the Smithsonian was a Museum of good taste, along the lines of the British Museu.
    I didn’t go there, loved the picture though, I imagined you gazing at it fondly, drooling at the chops!,

Preferred the vines.

Seeing as I am well supplied with Spam, I don’t have to drool, but thanks for thinking of me.

As for the story of Spam, it’s worth reading . . . or, maybe not. I found it interesting.

Passed on the Spam, but love the Travelers’ Palm….especially the one with the two offspring.

I don’t recall ever seeing or knowing about the Traveler’s Palm before, and starting off with having blue seeds makes it even more amazing! That’s one great looking plant!

As for Spam, our family has had a long relationship with it since its infancy during WWII . . . and still has a place in our cupboard . . .

The moon shots are awesome . . . more so because I just finished viewing several space documentaries on Netflix with the moon as the main event!

I had seen them before in our previous trips, but I don’t think they were in places where they were easy to photograph. Those were taken on a side road (a shortcut between two other roads) that goes behind the Target.