One year

One year ago today we arrived in Kona. You can read about it HERE

The original plan was to see if we could make Hawaiʻi our home for the next number of years, so how are we doing with that? Well, we’re still here. We’re gonna be here for a while more.

How do we like the place?

Well, there’s a lot to like about the place. For one thing — and this is strange — you kind of feel like the problems of the mainland are the problems of a different country. It’s not just the distance, it’s a mindset.

I mean, it’s not true, but it feels as if we are somewhat insulated from the current political and societal strife inundating the news and the lives of so many. I suppose that could be just as true in various remote communities on the mainland. Certainly, Alaska also fits that bill. It’s just that it seems . . . “more” like that here.

There’s also a certain laziness here. I suppose it could be because it’s hot and humid and doing anything involves discomfort and sweating. Whatever the reason, it does seem as if the days just glide by barely leaving a ripple in our lives.

Ergo, the fact it seems incredible we’ve been here a year. Also, we’re not in a hurry to do anything. I suppose that is good, but it’s also bad. I’m less productive here than I was back in Colorado. More easily distracted, yes, but in a good way.

Or, maybe not a good way . . . I guess it depends on one’s goals.

We do have a daily routine . . . get up, go to the Old Kona Airport, walk 4.5 to 6.3 miles (depending on the day), go to the gym and work out for an hour, drive back to the condo along Aliʻi Drive — sometimes stopping to watch the surfers — do a late breakfast/early lunch, do a few chores, and relax.

I take the occasional photo, we go shop a few times a week, go for a drive once in a while . . . no set schedule, really, other than the exercise.

We don’t miss the snow, don’t miss the traffic (because we also hit it here), don’t miss yard or house maintenance.

We do miss the low humidity. We do miss having air conditioning. I miss the incredibly clear nights.

We don’t like the bugs and geckos . . . but we’re more successful at keeping them outside our living space.

One of the things I’m often asked about is the dreaded Island Fever. We sort of knew that was not going to be the case for us. If and when we leave the islands, it will not be because of Island Fever.

It might be because of the threat of hurricanes, earthquakes, possible lava flows, tsunamis, the often thick vog, and because it looks like the Big Island is following in the footsteps of the other islands and getting mite crowded. But, not yet.

By the way, we’ve yet to dip our toes — or any part of us — into the ocean. That’s right; we live on an island and have not gotten wet once.

Besides, were we to contemplate moving, we have no idea where we might go. That was, in fact, a major part of our decision to come here. With anything as an option, we figure we would give this a shot.

So, for now, we exercise, relax, eat, sleep, and occasionally go on a drive. All in all, it’s not a bad way to spend the time.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, sympathy, or complaining about my life, or asking for help and advice, know you’re  likely missing my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor.

This entry was posted in Musings Stuff, Personal, Photography, Photography Stuff and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to One year

Lot’s of really nice photos but I really like the second last shot.
    And SPAM!!!

Thanks. I had many to choose from but I didn’t want to overload the post.

. . . yes, Spam . . . need to have my fix soon.

BTW, I fixed what I thought was a typo. If not, let me know and I’ll restore it.

You have quite a collection of beautiful pictures…well, you always do, but some of these are really special, and I love the beach pictures, with the waves coming in. Sometimes with riders, and sometimes not. Your days sound very pleasant.

Thank you, Sandra. We do strive to make our lives as stress-free as possible . . . despite the best efforts of the world at large.

I’ll be doing more surfing and wave photos soon (actually, from January). I feel as if I’ve not done enough.

3. Margie Masih says:

Emilio…from what I’ve seen … pics. they are beautiful…but I think you guys are bored. My opinion is to look for some place with the temp the same year around. It’s there… u just have to look.

4. Your photos make me a bit homesick. Hawaii is still the place I lived longer than anywhere else.

5. PiedType says:

A year already? Wow, hard to believe. I’ll be keeping an eye on the mountains for you, if you ever decide to come back to Colorado.

(And as always, your flower photos blow me away.)

We have a couple of mountains here as well — Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea . . . and Hualalai — and they happen to be volcanos as well. Also, Mauna Loa is the tallest mountain on Earth (measured from the sea floor).

Alas, not much of a chance we’ll return to Colorado.

And, thanks; always nice to hear my efforts are appreciated.

I guess the one year mark can be thought of as an anniversary, so I hope you had a good one . . . and perhaps did something a bit out of the ordinary to mark the occasion.

And the photos are proof that you live in a place steeped in beauty . . . well, mostly.

7. Wow! It’s been a year already!? Time flies when you’re having fun! Or as Kermit the Frog says, “Time’s fun when you’re having flies!” :-D

Love the pics celebrating your first year in Hawaii! Thank you for taking us along with you in words and photos! I’ve enjoyed seeing so many things I might never get to see!

Your life sounds wonderful to me! I’m glad you and Melisa have had a good first year there! Do something fun fun fun to celebrate!!! :-)

365 days . . . they flew by.

We’ve had an easy year here, and yes it was a good year. Sure, some things are not optimum, but that’s the case anywhere one might be.

We celebrated by going out to eat a hamburger. It was OK, but I still felt the need to make a batch of French Toast for dinner. Sure, it would have been easier to open up a can of Spam, but French Toast sounded more like a celebratory meal.

8. That year seems to have sped by. Looks like you might be in for the long term!

9. enjoyed reading about your journey and great pics my friend!