Diminutive Disperser Post No. 5 – Cat and Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Sometimes, I chance upon things that do not merit one of my lengthy posts, hence, these here diminutive posts.

As I’m walking around — or even linearly — I’ll notice something and I snap a photo.

20170226_dscn2052_1-processed_digi

Such was the case with the above. The above is a feral cat at a place where we walk.

There is a group of volunteers who come daily to feed the cats. They are supported by donations and part of the money goes to neutering the cats (occasionally, people dump their cats there).

As much as I don’t like to see animals being put down, feral cats do a lot of damage when it comes to small animals and birds, even if they are well fed. That’s neither here or there.

That cat reminds us of one of our cats, Shadow. Shadow was a Maine Coon mix. Great big and muscular cat with awesome paws and nails to match. Also, very gentle when not dragged to the vet. At the time he died, he was a three years cancer survivor. He had a sudden relapse that we failed to catch in time. We still miss him.

This next photo is not a crop; it’s a shot taken with the long zoom of the Nikon P900.

20170226_dscn2054_1-processed_digi

I tried a couple of different treatments stacking a few Topaz Plugins.

20170226_dscn2054_1-processed-processed_digi 20170226_dscn2054_1-processed-processed-2_digi

You can click on the photos for larger versions or you can visit the SmugMug Gallery HERE for the full-size shots. For the pixel watchers, know that these being P900 photos, they are not all that good at full resolution, but they are there if you want to check them out.

~ ~ ~ o o o ~ ~ ~

For the writing portion, I want to comment on something that — for me — epitomizes the banality we face day-to-day.

I woke this morning and saw the Internet abuzz with indignation about a picture of Kellyanne Conway in the Oval Office. Apparently, she showed disrespect for the Oval Office, and she was paying the price via a portion of the American public reacting with indignation and horror at her temerity.

Understand, I am not a fan of Trump or any of his team. Also not a fan of Ms. Conway, although I harbor no special antipathy toward her. I might not like her boss, but I recognize she did a fantastic job during the campaign and kudos to her for it. She takes a lot of crap from a number of quarters, and while some of it may be deserved, I also know some of it is just plain bullshit.

That’s the reality of being in the public eye. Being a woman magnifies the animosity she faces because a lot of men — and some women — are not comfortable with women showing any kind of abilities.

I don’t pay usually attention to these things because I don’t like getting my underwear all in a bunch over stuff that does not directly concerns me, but I admit to being curious as to what heinous crime Ms. Conway committed against the sanctity of the Oval Office.

I clicked on one of the news links . . .

. . . and then another, and another, and the same photo kept coming up. OK, I had to break down and actually read words describing the affront to the austerity and dignity of the Oval Office because it obviously escaped me.

WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!!!! Are you FOXTROTTING kidding me!!!???!!!

There just aren’t enough punctuation marks to express my initial incredulity and subsequent aggravation.

. . . she had her feet on the sofa . . .

The poor sofa suffered a disgrace beyond having Donald’s ASS sit on it . . .

To say I am disgusted with people is putting it mildly.

Then, I noticed other things . . . why, those people are wearing shoes!! WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT?!?!

Were they raised in a barn? That’s a brand new carpet in the Oval Office! Heck, I take my shoes off when I’m in this rental condo and its carpet is crap. For that matter, who let Donald in there? I’m pretty sure he has no respect for anything!

Yes, I kid.

Look, folks, that is no more and no less than a place of work. People don’t go there to worship, and lots of things happen there that are worthy of much greater indignation. Not just during this administration, but every administration going back two hundred plus years.

. . . and you are freaking out over a sofa. All the problems the world faces, and you are freaking out over a sofa.

Like I said, it’s a place of work. If you and I were invited there, I would turn it down, but when you show up there, you would rightly be awed by the experience. But, if you work there and are in and out of that room every day, it’s no more and no less than another office where you work.

And, here’s the kicker . . . the Media is reporting this as a story. If that doesn’t disgust you, I don’t know what would.

Instead of being champions of the people and humanity as we sit on the brink of various potential world catastrophes, Social and Mainstream Media are concerned with the fate of a sofa.

We are doomed, I say! DOOMED!

. . . plus, I’m pissed off they have now made me sympathetic toward Ms. Conway. She may deserve a lot of crap, but not for this . . . this is just plain silly.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, encouragement, or advice to better my life, know my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor is blowing right by you.

This entry was posted in Musings Stuff, Personal, Photography, Photography Stuff and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Diminutive Disperser Post No. 5 – Cat and Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

There’s no such thing as a bad cat photo. There, I said it and I stand by it.

2. That was plain silly. Couches are mean to relax on.

LOVE that handsome cat! Those eyes! :-)

So sad to hear about your cat Shadow. :-( They do remain in our hearts for the rest of our lives.

HUGS!!!

3. PiedType says:

Love that kitty. But then, I love all kitties.
    As for Kellyanne, she’s just showing us how much class she’s got.

Thanks, and . . . really? You’re going to make me defend Conway?

I will side with anyone attacking her views and politics, but I cannot speak to class, and neither can you. Perhaps you know her personally, but if not, you only know what you are shown. Other than this questionable “non-controversy”, I don’t know of any other indications allowing me to judge her class or lack thereof. I can judge her for many things, but not that, especially based on this candid photo.

I say that because if one wishes to speak about such things based on a snapshot without any context at all, then one could accuse nearly every human being in the planet of — at some snapshot in time — having no class.

Of course, not every human being is in the public eye and subject to having every action scrutinized. Just ask Obama; feet on the Oval Office desk Obama, or not saluting back the Marine Obama, or any number of other instances where the snapshot does not tell the story. News agencies love to use unflattering photos to sell whatever negative opinion they are trying to sow (or flattering photos to promote positive opinions).

I’ll repeat what I said above . . . the other people in the room were wearing shoes as they stood on a brand new carpet. Here, in Hawaii, and in most homes across the US, it is customary to remove one’s shoes when entering another person’s home. Shame on them. At least she had her feet off the floor.

Seriously, one instance without context . . . what can we really make of it?

Also, speaking of dishonoring the Oval Office . . .

4. “Where they raised in a barn?”
    Did you mean Were not where?

Perhaps some were upset that this woman was lounging around on the sofa whilst the president was standing. I understood it to be “When the Presidents stands, everybody stands!”

That being the reason for the 7th inning stretch during a baseball game, which may well be fairy story.

This from Wikipedia

‘A popular story for the origin of the seventh-inning stretch is that on April 14, 1910, on opening day, 6 ft 2 in (188 cm), 350-pound (160 kg), President William Howard Taft was sore from prolonged sitting at a game between the Washington Senators and the Philadelphia Athletics and stood up to stretch, causing the crowd to feel obligated to join their president in his gestures………..”

Thanks, I fixed it.

As for standing/sitting, they say it’s customary for people to stand when the President walks into a room. Personally, I don’t like it. He is a civil servant, period. Not a king, dictator, self-appointed holy man . . . wait, for Trump, maybe . . .

That said, the point is that while it is customary, as far as I know, it’s only when the President enters a room. People do the same thing even for common folk as one prepares to greet them.

As for after, I know that the whole of the senate sits while the President speaks, reporters sit during a press conference, etc. etc. I did a quick search, and other than an episode of the West Wing, I can’t find any official protocol on the matter (I did a quick search; my heart is not into it). There are a number of official photos showing presidents standing while others are sitting.

As for Ms. Conway, I’m not sure about the protocol for kneeling on a sofa.

5. paigeaddams says:

Lol, I don’t get the outrage either. I can think of probably hundreds of more offensive things than a woman sitting on a couch with her feet tucked under her. She wasn’t showing her undies, or taking up the whole couch when others wanted to sit, and she wasn’t otherwise being rude that I can see from this one photo.

Also, to me she looks more relatable and human when she’s relaxed like that. She was minding her own business and relaxing for a moment while Trump talked to others in the room. I’m assuming she was probably wearing heels before she sat down, and you’d better bet I’d kick those babies right off and sit down the first chance I got.

And as you said – this is where she works. She has a high stress job, and I’m going to go out on a limb and assume she works some really long hours some days and probably knows the staff and those around her fairly well, so I’m not surprised if she feels comfortable enough to sit like she’s at home. I’m sure she’s more formal when addressing Trump or anyone else directly, and if someone had said “hey, I’m going to take a picture of you guys” she would’ve stood up and been more formal as well. But no one is even talking to her at this moment. She’s off to the side and has some free time. She’s human, just like everyone else. She’s relaxing, and I really don’t see anything wrong with it.

There are other shots showing she was taking photos with her phone, and while I don’t know why she was on the sofa, my guess is that she wanted some low shots and it was easier than squatting, but that’s just a guess.

Anyway, it made the news cycle for 24-hours and the next faux outrage is now probably occupying everyone.