Shooting the Moon – Nikon P900

This is an uncharacteristically short post. Enjoy.

On July 28th, 2010, 5:28 am (Colorado time) I shot what is probably the best of all the moon photos I’ve taken. Here are two versions of the same photo, shot with my then Nikon D200 and the Nikon 80-400mm lens.

untitled-2_digi

misc_28jul2010_12746-2_digi

You can click on the photos for a larger version.

The original photo was shot in the light of new dawn and shows a blue sky as background to a pale moon. The photo was edited and processed to bring out detail and show it in a darkened sky.

Last night, I stepped out, leaned out from the balcony, and hand shot the moon with the P900.

This is the first image I took. The zoom is 2800mm equivalent and the image has been converted to B&W.

20170206_dscn1265_3-processed_digi

This is actually smaller than the image I took, but it’s fairly decent at this size. Were I to blow up the one taken with the D200 (above) to this size, it would be a mess.

It’s not a particularly great photo . . . and neither are these at 6000mm equivalent zoom:

20170206_dscn1267_3-processed_digi

20170206_dscn1269_3-processed_digi

20170206_dscn1272_3-processed_digi

20170206_dscn1274_3-processed_digi

Let’s face it . . . digital zoom sucks. But, is optical zoom — 2000mm — all that much better?

Here are three photos at full optical zoom shot in quick succession.

20170206_dscn1270_3-processed_digi

20170206_dscn1271_3-processed_digi

20170206_dscn1275_3-processed_digi

Again, you can click on any of the above to get a photo roughly twice the size.

So, here’s a neat trick you can do with photoshop; bring all three photos into one file as layers and ask the program to align and stack the files to come up with a composite image.

Then, slap a bit of contrast and a tad of sharpening, and . . .

combined_digi

I think that’s pretty good. I assume I could do a bit better with the camera on a tripod.

If that’s boring, you can read THIS post.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, encouragement, or advice to better my life, know my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor is blowing right by you.

This entry was posted in Photography, Photography How To, Stuff, Writing Stuff and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Shooting the Moon – Nikon P900

1. GP Cox says:

You’ll get no advice from me – just praise for these shots! Great work.

2. Wonderful shots with great detail.

3. Magnificent, marvelous moon shots! How’s that for a bit of alliteration.

I think it’s pretty good, too. Even without a tripod.

5. Wowza! These are moon-velous, Emilio!
    I love taking night walks to look at the moon. But, I can’t see the detail you show here!
    My only advice: Keep getting mooned!

6. mvschulze says:

Yeah yeah, “If that’s boring, you can read THIS post.” I remember it well. And remember falling off my chair laughing at the time.
    The stacked rendering is really nice, REALLY nice. As the origin images b/4 the processing you have to give the P900 A LOT of credit – and consideration. M :-)

Whenever I come up with something that makes me want to return it, something else comes along that says “you should keep it”. It’s an ongoing titanic struggle.

7. They’re terrific,some of the best work I’ve seen on your pages.I was waiting to see the ones where you were actually on the moon, they look that close. Good work young man!

8. 1bl0gr3ad3r says:

Might as well face it… the P900 has found its moon-ever home. Your handheld P900 shots, even before the fancy quilting work, are better than what i recall seeing from my telescope as a kid. Optical & digital zoom, shutter lag, no filters, no lenses, no manual mode… irritating, true, but you are having fun putting it through a burn-in period and figuring out how to sweeten the weaknesses. It will never grow up to equal your good Nikons (or even my good Canon) but the quality is impressive when a photographer points and shoots! Try for the comet with the coming lunar eclipse– not sure how near it is supposed to be, but the P900 will find it :)

Actually, it has digital filters and lots of “scenes” and it does have a manual mode where you can choose ISO and f/stop (limited as it is).

It can solve shutter lag albeit at a slightly lower resolution. There is a “pre” mode; as long as you hold the button halfway done, it continuously captures and when you press the shutter all the way down, it saves the current capture and the previous five. Continue to hold, and it captures up to 15 more at whatever frame rate you chose.

That pretty much gets rid of any lag, although it will only capture at 1280×960 as opposed to 4608×3456. It’s an interesting feature I’ve not explored yet. Coincidentally, all the photos on the blog are loaded with the maximum length at 1280.

It also has Interval shooting (time lapse), Best Shot (captures 10 images in one burst and saves the sharpest), and a number of continuous shots options.

It can also grab frames from movies as photos although those are at 1920×1080 and the few tests I did were less than stellar.

And no, it won’t equal the big rig, but then, it does things my big rig can’t do.

I’m nearing a decision, honest.