It’s Black and White

After a long absence, I decided to submit a photo to Leanne Cole Monochrome Madness weekly journey into the world of Black and White.

I’d contributed before, but as I got busy with other stuff, I let it go for a while. I mean, I read the weekly posts because they provide ideas for what one can do with B&W. Plus, a few of the people I follow contribute every week.

20161211_dsc2089_1_digi

That’s not my submission . . . it’s a photo I considered for submission.

By the way, click on the photos for a larger version or, if you would like to see the photo in its original resolution, go to the SmugMug Gallery HERE.

So, the above . . . I tried a few other version. Why this photo, you ask? This week’s submissions had a theme, and the theme was Reflection(s). The shot above is from one of the Kona Street Fairs and the puddle was the aftermath of a rare downpour earlier in the day.

20161211_dsc2089_1-processed_digi

Can you tell the difference between the above shots? The second has a bit more grain and more contrast.

This next one has a small reduction in grain an a slight tweak in brightness.

20161211_dsc2089_1-processed-2_digi

If I don’t say anything, they will look almost as the same photo. If I tell you the last one appears sharper, then you’ll see it sharper.

This last iteration adds a bit of glow, reduces the grain, and gives it a slight sepia tone.

20161211_dsc2089_1-processed-2-2_digi

I then decided to use a different photo . . .

20161211_dsc2140_1-processed-2_digi

Of course, I played around with this as well since the above was not quite what I wanted.

20161211_dsc2140_1-processed-3_digi

This was very close to being my submission . . . but I instead submitted this version.

mm-reflections-disperser

Like I said, most people take little notice of things until you point them out. This one is brighter than the first one and sharper than the second. It is, in fact, a blending of those shots plus a few more tweaks.

And, that’s it . . . a short post this is.

Because life to some seems a bit crappier now than a few weeks ago, I wanted to leave you with this video. It’s subtitled, but it’s worth watching. I did not discover it on my own; it came from THIS site via a blog I follow

Honest, as much as the message is great, I sadly don’t think we — humans — are like this. Perhaps during “good times”, but with today’s turmoil, it’s difficult to imagine this working. I mean, it would work with a small group of people. Everything can works when small groups meet face to face and look at each other in the eyes.

The problem is that these days we don’t make the effort to meet, let alone speak, to “other” people. And even if we did, gather a large enough group, and the dynamic changes into a riot.

Can you tell that I’m not all that optimistic?

. . . but, it is nice to watch that video and dream of a future time . . .

Oh, heck, while I’m at it, let me share my usual go-to video when ugliness becomes a bit much:

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, encouragement, or advice to better my life, know my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor is blowing right by you.

This entry was posted in Black & White, Photography, Photography Stuff, Stuff and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to It’s Black and White

1. viveka says:

Thank you so much for helping to spread this video … means a lot to me. Have a great day.

I’ve never submitted a photo to MM. I gave it some thought. But never a submission. I don’t know why. I will say that I don’t like the idea of “themes”. I never seem to have a photo ready that fits the theme.

Well, you are in luck . . . themes are only once in a while. The rest of the time, you can send in whatever you like. Make sure you get it in early as she is in Australia and the time differential has occasionally caused me to miss the publication deadline. I typically used to send my files 4-5 days ahead.

• great reflections in all of them. I too rather liked the palm tree but your submission was excellent too. The detail is superb.

3. I thought the first photo was more interesting than the one you submitted — probably because of the palm trees in the reflection. But I couldn’t see much difference in the first three versions and all four versions were pleasing. I enjoyed that first video, too.

The differences are slight and only visible if viewed in quick succession and side by side (open all four in their own tabs and cycle through them). That said, they are slight and mostly for my benefit because I’m looking at pixel-level resolutions.

I agree about the palms, but I like the second one for the interesting people in it. I thought the first was too busy and held too many points of interest.

4. I love reflections photos and your photos here are top-notch!!!

Thanks for sharing those vids, Emilio! They were exactly what I needed to see and hear today! I’m sitting here crying, because their messages are so beautiful and so important!

(((HUGS))) :-)

5. Eddy Winko says:

Two worthy videos and a couple of nice photos too!

6. Love those photos with the reflections in the puddle. I know it’s only the one shot but there are 3 pics of it!
    Pictures like that are best in B & W, they lose something in the colour; well I think they do, and thats what matters!

Both are great reflections, but I like best the first one with the palm tree. As for the videos, it’s a good place to start off your day, especially with Matt.

I should have snapped a shot of just the palms, but I thought I would be able to crop them. And yes, Matt’s are still my go-to videos when I need a bit of relief.

This video is also nice, although better in context (the kid’s grandfather and Daniel’s character’s friend just died and this was the wake). The music starts at around the two minutes mark. This song is my latest earworm . . .

By the way Jeff Daniels is actually singing and playing . . . here are a few other videos of him playing: