Hawaiʻi – The Big Island Laupahoehoe Beach Park

On November 9, 2016, we had a sudden urge to skip our 4.5 miles morning walk, skip our daily 1.5 hours visit to Pacific Island Fitness, and, instead, drive clear across the Big Island. The previous evening, we had stopped at Costco and bought two of their salads and croissant turkey sandwiches.

map

That’s right, we went on a picnic to Laupāhoehoe Beach Park.

20161109_dsc0908_1jpgdigimarc

The park is seldom crowded, and this day was no exception. We had a nice picnic as I eyed the waves crashing in front of us. I then spent the next two-and-a-half hours calming my troubled mind by watching, photographing, and videoing waves.

That’s right; you hear correctly . . . videoing.

I chose to upload the videos to YouTube and put the link here because the files are big and might slow the loading of the page . . . but also because if you click on the little sprocket at the lower right of the frame, you can change the speed of the video. I suggest watching these at the regular speed and then both in slow motion and speeded up. Only if you want to, of course. Also, you can click on the symbol to the right of that to view the videos full screen (press ESC to exit full screen).

There are ten photos and four videos, and, as usual, I have a SmugMug album of both the photos and videos HERE. Also as usual, you can click on the photos and a larger version will open up in a new tab or window.

The videos were shot before the photos, and these particular videos were shot with the Nikon D7000 and my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. I did have to clean the surface of the lens twice because of the spray, and at least in one video, you can see a spot appear in the frame about halfway through the video.

I also took some video with my Panasonic PnS. I’ll probably put those up sometime soon.

The whole time I was shooting videos, the skies were cloudy and the air kind of hazy. Once I started shooting pictures, the sun kind of gave it a half-ass attempt at being out there. I am fairly pleased with both the photos and videos.

20161109_dsc0934_1jpgdigimarc

Although I moved along the shore, the shot shots above looking roughly NNW, and those looking ENE . . .

20161109_dsc0914_1jpgdigimarc

. . . were the most satisfying. There was another area which would occasionally get great wave action, but it faced the wind and it was impossible to both capture the waves and keep the spray from coating the lens and camera.

20161109_dsc1043_1jpgdigimarc

20161109_dsc1045_1jpgdigimarc

These shots do not convey the sound and the awesomeness of watching a wall of water rise in front of you and crash into the rocks. Perhaps the videos help . . .

This one was shot with me a bit back from the action. After watching for a bit, I got a good sense of how far the waves got onto the shore and moved a bit closer. Please excuse the slight tilt to the video. I rushed in setting up, and then I did not want to move the camera once the waves were heading in.

Here’s where I will remind you about the full screen and speeds options.

Mind you, as much as I like the videos, I do also like the stills . . .

20161109_dsc1066_1jpgdigimarc

The larger versions are nice, but those interested in details should go see the full-size versions in SmugMug.

There was an area where I could set up and catch some of the wave action from the side.

20161109_dsc1061_1jpgdigimarc

20161109_dsc1071_1jpgdigimarc

From what I’ve been told, winter is when waves get bigger and more impressive. I can hardly wait.

20161109_dsc1080_1jpgdigimarc

20161109_dsc1081_1jpgdigimarc

Yes, there are people who have seen and photographed amazing waves and I still have great memories from Oahu’s North Shore from before the days of digital, but for now, on that day, on that week, this experience was just what I needed.

We also needed the four Tex Drive In Malasadas we bought on the way back to the condo.

Stay safe, stay strong.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, encouragement, or advice to better my life, know my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor is blowing right by you.

This entry was posted in Hawaii, Hawaii, Photography, Photography Stuff, The Big Island, Travel, Travel Stuff, Video, Writing Stuff and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Hawaiʻi – The Big Island Laupahoehoe Beach Park

1. There nothing as calming as the sea.Those waves are impressive. Nice post Emilio :)

Thanks for this post. Am very troubled at what is happening, and this post helps. Whenever I get the urge to check one of the news sites, I’ll come here instead. Not hiding my head under the sand, just not up to reading about it just yet. This post is a much better option.

Yeah, I’m also trying to keep off the news even as I want to keep an eye on stuff that happens that might need attention or a letter to someone (although most recipients now are even more likely to ignore my feedback).

Some people are too myopic to understand all the reasons some of us are upset (forgetting how upset they were 8 and then 4 years ago).

Regardless of how one feels about the man, history will look kindly on the US, a predominantly white country, electing Obama. They will not look as kindly on the US electing Trump.

Even now, there is a measure of distaste and shame in saying it aloud . . . we elected Trump. He is now the symbol of the United States of America to the world. He represents us all whether we like it or not.

I might not have always agreed with Obama on things, but he has class and poise and was articulate in expressing complex ideas and lofty goals. None of that is present in Bully Trump. No class, no poise, no restraint, and a shallowness that makes wading in the depths of his character and views seem like a stroll on a barren and parched land.

But, I digress . . . yes, nice waves. Thank you, Sandra.

3. mvschulze says:

WOW! I would spend hours there. Awesome. And awesome photographs and video. A long time ago, actually on my MGB cross country trip, I was mesmerized by the surf crashing up on the rocks at Big Sur. Climbing down their from Rt 1 above, I had to be pursuaded to leave. I shot 5 pictures….(film, 20 images to a roll.) Today it would have been like you, hundreds of images. M :-)

247 images in addition to 18 videos.

. . . but, in the film days, I would still come back with 12-14 rolls of film of nothing but waves. Sadly, most of them not properly developed by the labs I was using.

4. Hey Old Man — your videos looked great on my 27″ monitor in full screen mode but the resolution was only 1K. Can your camera shoot in 4K?

5. Thoses waves look pretty fearsome to me; don’t mind looking at the pictures but you can bet I’ll keep a safe distance from those roaring seas, non-swimming coward that I am :)

6. Thank you for this post, Emilio! What a wonderful day of travel and peace!
    The beauty you’ve capture in photos and on vid is stunning!
    I love the ocean and can watch it (and listen to it) for hours!
    (((HUGS)))

I read an article (here’s the unlinked link) about how being near the ocean can make you calmer and more creative. Considering all the turmoil “in the air”, it appears you’ve landed in the right place.

• AnnMarie says:

I didn’t think pasting a link would work, but obviously it did.

I think I allow up to two links before the comment goes in moderation.

As for the article, there is quite a bit of woo in it but yes, the water is nice to look at . . . don’t know about creativeness. If anything, I’m a lot less creative since I’ve been here. Also, have not even touched the ocean yet, let alone swam in it. It’s basically a giant bathroom for all sorts of creatures, including people; not very inviting, really.

I don’t mean to knock the sentiment, and I really like waves, but being atop Pikes Peak had a lot greater impact than watching the ocean. Even here, the volcano draws me much more than the water. I want to climb, reach as high as I can . . . perhaps hoping to hitch a ride on a passing spaceship. Getting in the ocean, on the other hand, holds little attraction.

Now, if there were giant waves, if they smashed with a lot of power onto the rocks and shook the very earth . . . that would be impressive and elating. Still, not sure it would do anything for my creativity one way or the other.

Many artists like the desert of New Mexico for drawing out their creative side. Taos is a hub for it.

Ultimately, I think one can make an argument for almost any place on Earth as awakening someone’s passion for creating since we carry it around with us and anything can trigger it.