We stare at the abyss . . .

. . .  and I would like to kick so many people over its edge, but, unfortunately, they are voluntarily jumping and taking us with them.

I rarely get depressed, and, truthfully, President Trump will likely, for me personally, be no more than an inconvenience, but I ache for many, many people who will suffer under his regime, not just here because of his stated domestic policies, but because of his “international expertise”, around the globe. As I watched the results, I wondered if I live in a country populated by a large number of idiots, and now my worst fears are confirmed.

Yes, I mean to be that insulting for we just witnessed the US take a giant step backward along so many fronts that it literally aches to think about it. Hard-won and incremental advances in the workings of civilization over the span of many, many decades swept away by ignorance reinforced with a monumental lack of critical thinking. Our very standing in the eyes of the world has been forever tarnished by an orange symbol representing everything decent folks should find abhorrent in a human being.

I purposefully avoided discussing the election until after it was over all the while hoping the American voters were better than this.

I get Hillary was not the best candidate, and I get all the issues the Democratic Party has been unwilling or unable to address, and I get that the Democratic Party has been arrogant in their dismissal of Republicans, but voting for Trump was incredibly myopic and stupid, idiotic, moronic, and lacking any semblance of common sense.

Most of all, it was self-destructive.

That so many look at Trump as having any capability beyond being a buffoon and a con man is, frankly, beyond my ability to comprehend.

We elected a President who ran on a platform of lies shored up with promises to ignore the Constitution. The biggest irony of all is that the people who helped elect him — mostly Republicans who apparently yearn for the equivalent of a dictator — call themselves lovers of the Constitution.

The only consolation I have is that while Republicans may be triumphant now, they have, I believe, sounded their death knell. They will not recover from a Trump Presidency for in electing him they not only will be forever tainted with his legacy, but they also exposed themselves as enemies of the very tenets this country was founded on.

I especially don’t ever want to hear anyone from the religious right or anyone speaking for them — I’m looking at you, FoxNews slimetards — talk to me about morals, honesty, compassion, and Christian values for they have shown the depths of their hypocrisy in all those things.

To all the people who voted for Trump, think about this . . . Come next year, instead of a Twitter account for Trump to play with at 2:00am, he will have the Nuclear Football. Here’s something you might not realize . . . while the Secretary of Defense must confirm any launch orders, he cannot veto them. The order is solely at the discretion of the President of the United States. President Trump.

Congratulations. You won.

A bit more reading for them who think I am speaking irrationally (seriously, read the document in this next link):

nationalsecurityletter

This next quote is from an author I read, John Scalzi. The original is HERE but this excerpt highlights the problem we now face and negates any excuse the FoxNews slimetards could possibly bring up:

“I’m a well-off straight white man, which means of all the segments of the population, the Trump years will likely punish me the least — I may have to adjust my investments so I don’t lose tons of money when the stock market tumbles (or just be willing to ride it out, just like in 2008), but otherwise, in the short-term at least, I’m likely to be fine. I can’t say the same for my friends and loved ones who are women or minorities or LGTBQ or who struggle financially to make ends meet, or some combination of all of those. I wish I could say to them that it’ll be fine and that they’ll be able to ride out the next four (or, God forbid, eight) years, but I can’t. Trump, himself racist and sexist, brought a bunch of racists and sexists and homophobes to the dance, and now he’s obliged to dance with them. Things could get pretty ugly for everyone who isn’t a well-off straight white man. Things are likely to get ugly.

A lot of my friends are scared of Trump’s America, in other words, and they should be. As Maya Angelou once said, when someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. Donald Trump has shown us over and over again who he is; the worst of his supporters — the ones who will now feel like they have free reign to indulge their various bigotries — have shown us who they are, too. And while not every Trump voter is among the worst of people, they share the responsibility of having made anyone who isn’t straight, and white, and male, and well-off, less secure, less safe, and more frightened. That’s what they bought for us when they pulled the lever for Trump.”

That is the personal toll people face. I would like to think that somehow it won’t be as bad as I fear, but what basis would I have for such optimism? Scalzi continues:

“I don’t see much good coming out of this, either in the immediate or long-term, not in the least because if he does any of the things he promises to do, his impact will be ruinous to the nation. Add to the fact that he’s the GOP candidate, and the GOP now will have the White House, Congress and will appoint the next Supreme Court justice, and, well. There aren’t any grownups in the GOP anymore, and we’re going to find out what that means for all of us.

Here are some of the things it could mean: A conservative Supreme Court for decades, backtracking on climate change, the repeal of Roe v. Wade, curtailment of free speech, loss of medical insurance to millions, tax policy that advantages the wealthy and adds trillions to the national debt, punitive racial policies, the return of torture as a part of the military toolbox, and a president who uses the apparatus of the US to go after his personal enemies. And these are only the things Trump has said he’s ready to do — we don’t know what else he will do when he’s literally the most powerful man on the planet, with a complaint legislature and judiciary.

The GOP conceit is that somehow they will be able to control Trump, which is a theory that’s worked so well up to now. More realistically, I think the best that can be hoped for is that Trump simply becomes apathetic and bored and leaves actual governance to others, i.e., the Dubya maneuver. This didn’t work particularly well then, but it might be marginally better than the alternative. But no matter what, I don’t have much optimism for the next four years.”

Neither Scalzi nor I know what is to come. It could be we are wrong along with million of other people. Unfortunately, Trumps lacks the cleverness to be anything but what he has shown us to date, and what he has shown us is pretty ugly.

The people who voted for him have also shown us something, and it too is pretty ugly.

Finally, if you interpret anything on this blog as me asking or wanting pity, encouragement, or advice to better my life, know my subtle mix of irony, sarcasm, and humor is blowing right by you.

This entry was posted in Musings Stuff, Politics and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to We stare at the abyss . . .

1. chefcrsh says:

Huh I didn’t realize you followed sports…

2. Eddy Winko says:

A sketch on BCC Radio 4 had trump living in an alternative reality set up by ‘the system’ whilst the real world went on around him. He had his own red button in his office and surrounded by yes men that fed him the lines he wanted to hear.
    A comedy, I laughed at the time, but now I’m not too sure.

It’s difficult for me to think about the fact that half of the country see Trump as their poster boy. The most difficult part for me right now is to have any respect for them.

Perhaps I will be proven wrong, but that respect will have to be hard won and I just don’t think they have it in them. Then again, their kind are really not interested in my respect. Heck, from I can see, they are not interested in respect . . . they prefer to instil fear.

3. mybrightlife says:

I was very interested to hear your take on this turn of events as I have read much of what you have posted over the past year plus, and although I do not always agree I certainly have come to respect your opinion and have learnt from it. For example I am not big on guns – you are, but having said that, I have far more insight into the complexities of the gun issue through engaging with your blog and the extra info that you so obligingly shared at the time and I am more receptive than I was before to thinking about the issue – when the argument is based on reason and presented rationally it is easier to engage with and understand. At the ripe old age of nearly 50 I also like to believe that I am comfortable with the fact that others do not share the same beliefs as I do and that, that is ok. I also realize that people are struggling and want and even need things to change. But what I cannot get my head around is that trump feels it is ok to base his campaign on insults and division, and find it just as hard to understand when people say – trump has given voice to what so many are thinking….. but haven’t been allowed to say – and what so many are thinking is so messed up – how is that ok?? So anyway, thank you for sharing this. It was insightful as always.

Thanks for reading it. It was written with a bit of anger in my soulless hulk, but I don’t think I would change much ever were I calm and thinking clearly.

Ultimately, the world will probably not end and there is always the possibility that we’ll come out of this better than we were . . . but for the life of me, I cannot see that path in front of the US. Division without compromise sets up the stage for backlash after backlash.

Heck, just the thought of another Trump campaign four years from now is scary. And that’s if democracy is still intact and working.

By the way, it’s not that Trump has given a voice to what many were thinking — although that is certainly the case for a disgustingly rabid slice of humanity — but rather that many did not see their voice reflected in the words and action of the Obama administration and the Democratic party. For them, Trump was just the lesser of two evils. Sadly, I think they are monumentally wrong, but there is no denying that Hillary helped dig her own pit, one she started many years ago and dug so deep that it became impossible for her to climb out of it.

We’re now going to see the same arrogance from the Republican party, with the one difference being that while the current administration was, by enlarge, not a vindictive institution, the same cannot be said about the Republicans and their newly crowned poster-bully. I firmly believe the Republican party will be crippled by this even as they revel in their current victory.

4. I haven’t been able to stop crying this morning. I don’t know if I’ll be able to.

5. That intro might as well have been stopped after ‘Donald Trump has made alarming statements’.

6. renxkyoko says:

I don’t know what to say.

Yeah . . . all we can do is keep fighting the fight.

Understand, I had no great hope for Hillary, and while I speak about politics, my actual fear goes deeper.

The history of civilization has been one of fits and starts but still one with an inexorable advance toward things being better. The problem is that while the fits are swift and devastating, the starts are slow and span long periods of time.

Yes, because the orange kumquat has made his intentions clear and I think it’s too much to ask of many Republicans to be anything but hateful little bitches. I suppose we go on and hope for the best, but nothing about this campaign — and Trump’s in particular — gives me any indication an abundance of hope is warranted.

• ‘Hateful little bitches’?
        Nice misogynist language there:) good one disperser trump.

I could debate the insinuation with you, but I’m really not in the mood to argue against what I consider misplaced political correctness that in part helped put Trump into office.

If you have cause to believe me a misogynist, please unfollow me.

• Much of the criticism about Trump has been regarding his misogyny. As well as his racism, xenophobia, alleged fraud and rape, to name but a few. However a phrase such as ‘hateful little bitches’ is one that we would associate with him, not a level headed critic. It is, in essence, demeaning to women.

Again, I appreciate your criticism and take note of it even as I do not agree with it. Apparently, you wish to discuss what I consider on par with the words bastards, assholes, dicks, and a few others I don’t at this time recall and which I would venture to assume you would not find offensive to women for whatever reasons you would rationalize. (Note; I have, in fact, used such words to describe women)

I pose that both context and idiomatic considerations should apply to my use of the term “little bitches” especially since there are plenty of examples of variation of the word bitch being used to describe all manner of things and ideas, some even associated with compliments. In general, per my understanding — and there too there are exceptions — the level of offense is at its highest when focused specifically on a woman or women.

In this case, I addressed an entire political party since I wanted to express my full displeasure and contempt of them. You are certainly free to take offense and, believe me, the topic is so tired to me that even as I write this I wonder why I have to explain myself and why I’m wasting my time doing so.

Lest you are led to believe I don’t get your objection, I hear the argument that using what some consider an objectionable female descriptor as a means to insult someone is somehow insulting to women in general.

Given the term dates back to the 1100 and that since then it has been applied to describe some women or some women’s behavior for over 900 years, I pose the hypothesis that perhaps the appellation is apt in the description of some women and even of some men (it has been used as such) and I thus fall back to idiomatic use combined with context as considerations when deciding whether one should be offended or not. Certainly, I think that if a better word had been found to fit the required function, sometime in the last 900+ years it would have replaced bitch and we would not be having this discussion.

(note: as the term bitch was originally synonymous with whore. I wonder if that too would be offensive to some — then again, I find broccoli offensive, further proof that nearly everyone can be offended by something or other and that perhaps we should reconsider this whole “offensive” moniker as itself offensive to some. It certainly often is to me.)

7. Emily Scott says:

Deepest sympathies. This was how I felt after Brexit. People have been mesmerised by the showbiz style ‘glamour’ and easy to understand messages. Trump told people what they want to hear. It didn’t matter that he had no real plan – they liked the message so chose to believe it.

Thank you. I happen to think this has far worse negative consequences for the world, but I hope I am wrong.

Sorry, that came out wrong. I did not mean that in any way as minimizing what happened, and is happening, in the UK.

Still, Trump’s negative potential extends far beyond the economic impact he’s likely to have. He will be shaping foreign policy in a world already struggling with monumental problems of sovereignty and conflicts over territories and the potential for nuclear proliferation. For one thing, I can now see a time where the US and UK might distance themselves as allies, and that in itself will be sad.

8. Leanne Cole says:

Great response Disperser, I really like what you have said. I don’t live there, but we all know that in the end we will also be affected, unfortunately.

someone sent me an article, I think you might find it very interesting, I hope you don’t mind me leaving you a link here, https://medium.com/@theonlytoby/history-tells-us-what-will-happen-next-with-brexit-trump-a3fefd154714#.g1ndasy1o

My husband always said you can’t underestimate the stupidity of the average person, which we see here in our elections all the time.

Excellent article . . . but again, I would say that because I do study history. I do read about what happened 50, 100, 150, 200 years ago or more, and not only here but around the world, and I do read about connections between individual instances and future consequences.

I would have spoken about those same things here, but it would literally be met with a blank stare and a dismissal of “are you nuts?”

As for leaving links, they are always welcomed, and anyway, if I find them inappropriate, I would just remove them. Thanks.

• This is a thoughful and well-expressed article. I am still a little bit in shock over the outcome of our election. Trump is not someome I would want to bring into the mix of what is going on in the world. We are having riots in Los Angeles with people saying he’s not going to be their president. I wish this were true.

The problem with those protests is that the election is over. Just as we would have been disgusted by riots by Trump supporters if Hillary had won, we must be disgusted by riots by the left protesting Trump’s win.

If anything, the time to protest will be if and (likely) when he will do something to merit the protest.

As despicable as he is, the election is over. A new fight begins, to be sure, but it is not one we can afford to start on the streets. To wish otherwise is to wish the dismantling of our process of government. Half the people in the US today rejoice. As we think about that, let’s remember half the people rejoiced four years ago and then again eight years ago, and so on all the way to 16 years ago. Anyone who thinks they can dismiss the will of half the people in the US is in for a bad surprise . . . as we have just witnessed.

We can hope (for there is no evidence for it) that Trump is more than the buffoon he has shown himself to be, and meanwhile, we need to make our voices heard. Peacefully, despite the anger and dismay that weighs in our minds.

9. Congratulations on the best, most incisive, post that I have read from the disperser.

10. mvschulze says:

I stood there, with my mouth open, not willing to comprehend what was happening on TV last night. Then, as if to offer up some possessed confirmation, the stock market futures started crashing. The electoriate map seemed broken, and I shut it down, hoping it was indeed a bad dream. M :-(

The markets recovered, I think, although certain sectors took a substantial hit and will likely take more pounding to come. The recovery from the low was attributed to Trump’s somewhat (for him) conciliatory tone in his acceptance speech and the fact the fed might be less likely to raise interest rates in the short term.

Nothing in Trump’s domestic and international economic plan lead one to any measure of optimism, and the likelihood of a 2017 depression has increased. I hope not, but we’ll see what happens.

11. Yes.
    Excellent, Emilio! Thank you for sharing this with us. It helps me. You help me.
    (((HUGS)))