Kona Life – From The Balcony

We arrived in Kona at 8:15pm on June 16th. By the time we got the luggage, got the car, drove to the rented condo, lugged all our stuff up, all we could do was crash . . . it had been a long day. The nex day was partially documented in THIS post.

Those first few days, weeks, even, I did not use my big rig much because I knew it would be a while before I would be able to process and share the photos.

Hawaii Nikon Photos

The time has come and it is now. The photos in this post are all from our second full day in Kona and all of these were snapped from the balcony of the rental at Casa de Emdeko. There aren’t that many photos in this first batch but I’m sharing them with a bit of commentary about Hawai’i life.

Them wanting to see the originals — or a larger version than one gets by clicking on these — can go to THIS SmugMug gallery.

By the way, as of August 1st, we completed our transition to fully fledged Hawai’i residents; address, car registration, insurance, driver license, and registered to vote.

Speaking of which . . .

Conventions Canada

I did not watch either convention as my plan all along was not to vote . . . we’ll see how bad things get. Not to imply my vote will count in any way shape or form, but . . . wait . . . why am I voting, again?

I cant believe

politician

I also understand the Olympics are going on.

Long ago, they ceased to mean anything (to me). I’d watch the Olympics again if new events were introduced and if amateurs compete and if it’s all done for the joy of the sport.

Heimlich Tennis

Wait, I’m supposed to be posting my own photos.

I like this tree in the morning . . .

I like this tree in the morning . . .

. . . and the palms, too.

. . . and the palms, too.

20160618_DSC6232_1_DIGI

A closer view of the same palm.

This next flower/tree is a Plumeria. Local women will gather these to make leis for sale to tourists.

20160618_DSC6233_1_DIGI

Many of these trees grow in public places and it’s not unusual seeing someone collect the flowers by the side of the road. They also occasionally gather them from trees on private properties. We’ve spoken to a few people who are not happy about it. As the women usually look as if they are not from the upper socio-economic class, I’m inclined to let them do what they can to get by.

One of the things we’ve had to adjust to is the time differential between here and most of the mainland. And, not just us, but also family and friends.

For instance, if I want to call a help line or business phone, I better get to it in the morning as we are six hours behind the East Coast. The stock market, for instance, is only open for a few hours after we get back from our morning walk. By the time I’m ready to do something, the rest of the world is ready to shut down for the day.

Too late

A few times, I stayed up late and called help lines and customer service lines in the early a.m. hours my time, which is shortly after many of them open on their time zones.

Same with friends and family. Five o’clock Hawai’i is ten o’clock Central and eleven o’clock Eastern. The first few weeks here were adjustment periods for both of us (they make sure they don’t call too early and we make sure not to call too late).

Did I mention there are a lot of birds here? Since we sleep with the windows open, we don’t really need an alarm; by five in the morning, most of the birds are loudly proclaiming they are ready to seize the day. We usually get up by five-thirty. That’s actually good because we try and get our four-mile walks in before seven-thirty. The sun by then has already crested over the top of Hualālai and it beating down on me increases considerably my outflow of sweat.

People won’t click on the link so I will tell you . . . Hualalai is an active volcano. It has not erupted since 1801 and when it does it’s gonna be a big surprise to a whole lot of people who kind of forgot that it’s a volcano and not just a mountain whose slopes make for good places to build homes.

Common Myna

Common Myna

One of the louder birds is the Common Myna bird. These birds are all over the place. This particular specimen Rick-Rolled me on the second day here.

It was just standing there, and then . . .

. . . it's gonna do something, I just know it . . .

. . . it’s gonna do something, I just know it . . .

Oh, that's neat!

Oh, that’s neat!

Oh, wow . . . wait . . .

Oh, wow . . . wait . . .

Hey! Son of . . . I know those moves! Good one; you got me.

Hey! Son of . . . I know those moves!
Good one; you got me.

Anyway, I got to see a few other birds . . .

The Saffron Finch

The Saffron Finch

The Saffron Finch is actually a tanager from South America which was introduced here in the 80s.

This next bird is a House Finch . . .

20160618_DSC6252_1_DIGI

. . . and these are two Sparrows enjoying a beach sand bath . . .

20160618_DSC6255_1_DIGI

Over the next few weeks (until we moved to the long-term rental), many of the photos I took with my Nikon were from this same location. Mostly, I would snap photos of the boats-full-of-tourists whizzing by.

20160618_DSC6263_1_DIGI

But, also of the vegetation adorning the grounds . . .

. . . and I like this tree in the evening.

. . . and I like this tree in the evening.

. . . but, mostly boats going by.

20160618_DSC6270_1_DIGI

20160618_DSC6271_1_DIGI

20160618_DSC6273_1_DIGIOh, and flowers. And, waves. And, sunsets.

I already posted a few sunset photos taken with the phone, but these are photos of the first sunset captured with the Nikon.

20160618_DSC6274_1_DIGI

20160618_DSC6275_1_DIGI

20160618_DSC6276_1_DIGI

20160618_DSC6283_1_DIGI

20160618_DSC6284_1_DIGI 20160618_DSC6287_1_DIGI

The Nikon and phone both add a bit of warmth to sunsets, making them appear redder (orangier) than they are in real life. I typically scale the intensity back, but it’s probably still a bit more than what the eyes can see.

. . . I don’t mind . . .

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ o o o o o o ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Whip it!

Whip it!

Astute persons might have noticed these doodles, and correctly surmised they hold some significance for me, and perhaps for humanity at large.

If you click on the doodle, and nothing happens, this is the link it’s supposed to go to: https://disperser.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/palm-vx-and-i/.

If you are not reading this blog post at DisperserTracks.com, know that it has been copied, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intention, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

This entry was posted in Birds, Hawaii, Hawaii, Photography, Photography Stuff, Scenery, The Big Island, Travel, Writing Stuff and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Kona Life – From The Balcony

Lovely birds, lovely sunsets.

You’ll get used to the time difference eventually…. I’ve been on Botswana time since 2009, usually getting up around 4:30 or 5 in the morning, and going to bed around 8:30. Which works great for my schedule as one of the zoomies who operate the live cams. Of course, it’s a little more complicated for you, but it’ll all work out.

I still go to bed around midnight or one a.m., but the time shift is not a problem per se unless I forget to make a call before stuff closes on the mainland.

I have to look into it, but I don’t think Hawaii has daylight savings time, so the differential fluctuates during the year.

How interesting that you mentioned the time difference between you and the mainland . . . um, I forgot about it this morning when I sent my siblings a text at 9:19am Central that today is mother’s names-day. Right after I sent it I looked up to see the time and thought you may have sent some choice words back my way if that woke you up. Sorry if it did.

For me it’s still a wow (because I can’t think of a better word right now) that you’re in Hawai’i. I get such a kick out of looking at your posts and seeing that beautiful land and learning about its content . . . (sigh) . . . especially the colorful birds . . .

. . . day-dreaming over . . . gotta get ready to leave for work . . .

I just rolled over and went back to sleep. I could mute the phone overnight, but I leave it on for emergencies.

Yeah, we’re still absorbing the fact we are here. However, don’t make the mistake of romanticizing this or any other place.

As a vacation place, it’s amazing. But, like with all places, living here requires compromises. Yes, it’s beautiful, but you have to like the heat. Not just a few days or months. Every day. You have to accept living with bugs. You have to accept the occasional tropical storm and/or hurricane. You accept vog, earthquakes, a certain amount of overcrowding (and corresponding issues), and very expensive housing.

People have a tendency to idealize “other” places. I fall back to the famous words of Quinn Harris: “It’s an island, babe. If you didn’t bring it here, you won’t find it here.”

He was referring to love, but it works the same for peace, happiness, or anything else you care to mention. Life among humans is the same everywhere, just some of the trappings change. There is another quote I like: “You can’t eat scenery.”

That specifically refers to money (Local Hero), but it’s applicable to everything else. The scenery does not change who we are and it certainly does not change how other people are (human nature). I don’t anticipate a life much different here than anywhere else, and that requires compromises and adaptation different than in Colorado, different than Michigan, and different than Illinois. We’re gonna hate some things, love some others. Hopefully, the balance will fall more on the positive than the negative,

That said, yes, beautiful scenery. But, I found beautiful scenery everywhere I’ve lived.

As for absorbing the fact we’re here, much like moving from Michigan to Colorado, it’s not the destination that amazes us. It’s the fact we picked up and moved. There’s nothing magical about Hawai’i, or Colorado, or any place we might have chosen. It’s the fact we stopped talking about moving and actually did. Seventy-five days ago we were living in a comfortable house in Colorado surrounded by all our things. Now we are in a condo in Hawai’i and looking for a place to settle. Amazing.

3. Ha! I’m such a weirdo! I’ve always loved THAT song! It makes me dance-y! :-D
    Love all the bird and tree photos! I really love the palm trees! We get the little finches of several colors here. I like to watch them.
    That myna bird is so cool! I met one when I was a little girl and it could talk. Coolest bird ever! :-)
    I’m not sure that bird liked you taking photos of his private moments! ;-) :-P
    Wow, you are all fully fledged official and everything! Congrats! :-)
    Whip-It HUGS!!! :-)

You might be thinking of the Hill Myna (or mynah). Although I could be wrong in my assumption these birds (common mynas) would not mimic human voices.

I never knew what rick-rolling was until a few years ago. Not sure why “it’s a thing”, but it’s a feather in one’s cap is one can get someone else to click on a link to this song, preferably unbeknownst to them.

And, yes, we’re official. We don’t feel any different, but we do now get a few discounts only available to locals.

Thanks. Have a great weekend.

4. PiedType says:

Hard to believe you’ve been there for 6 weeks already. But then, I’ve never really gotten used to the idea that people actually live in Hawaii (as opposed to just vacationing).

Like that tree in the evening shot and the way you framed it.

Thanks, and, yeah, people do actually live here. It did not occur to us until three months ago, otherwise, we would have moved here a number of years ago.

• PiedType says:

From concept to completion in three months? That’s amazing. Would take me months to plan a move like that.

I should clarify . . .
        1) decision to sell house – mid-March
        2) began considering Hawai’i – first week in April
        3) decision to move to Big Island – third week in April.
        4) decision to not ship anything (sell everything) – mid-May
        5) everything sold – June 4th (one piece was left in consignment)
        6) closed on house – June 15th
        7) landed in Hawai’i – June 16th

So, from when we made the decision to move here to actually being here, about seven weeks.

5. 1bl0gr3ad3r says:

Echoing PT, amazing you were focused to that extreme. 7 weeks would find me still sorting into keep, trash, donate…. Love your sunset shots (flowers still fave, tho) & wonder if volcanic smoke affects your colors the way it does for us mainland types? And, please say you are gonna post about seeing the lava flowing into the ocean from Kileau… Er, Kilauia… Kilauea? That one, however it is correctly spelled? Since it has been several years since that happened last? Aloha :)

Focus, panic, desperation . . . so many words describing the same event.

As for the colors, to be frank, I’ve seen better (more colorful) sunsets in Colorado (https://dispersertracks.com/?s=sunset) but usually in the late summer and fall. Looking at photos on the web, it looks that might hold true here as well, meaning I might see better (more expansive) sunsets in the fall and winter.

As for the vog affecting the colors, I don’t think so. Airborne ash does affect colors, but it’s my impression that occurs when it reaches the upper levels of the atmosphere (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth). The smoke is lower and it’s like smog. If it has an effect, it’s probably negative.

We missed the latest lava flowing into the ocean. It happened at the end of June (http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/28/us/hawaii-kilauea-lava-flow/) and we were not aware of it. It’s still flowing into it, of course, but we’ve not made the effort to go and see it.

I did get to see flowing lava up close and personal back in the 90s during one of our visits. I should dig those photos up and write about it.