Bunch of Stuff

The Big Island is . . . big. I think that’s why they named it “The Big Island”.

Mind, you, not Texas Big . . . heck, not even Colorado Big. Wait, why do people say Texas is big? I mean, it is, but Alaska is more than twice as big

Anyway, The Big Island of Hawai’i . . . when you are driving around it, the vistas from various parts of the Big Island give a sense of scale that impresses more than the vast expanses of Texas. HERE’s some information on the Big Island of Hawai’i.

By the way, this marks a return to my long, meandering, and many photos posts. Mind you, not forty photos . . . thirty-nine. Here’s a quick preview before we get started . . .

pixlr_20160709185519161.jpg

So, we begin with a few days ago. Maybe, three days . . . maybe, four days. Honestly, I don’t remember. I could look at the name of the photos as they reference the date they were taken, but that would mean I would have to look up what day this is.

I mean, I know it’s Sunday because there was a beach mass (or some other beach spiritual function) at the Old Kona Airport. As a reminder, that’s where we walk these days and I happen to see the sign as we entered the park . . . it welcomed all the spiritual people; I paid little attention to it other than take note of the fact I might hear some chanting. As luck would have it, it took them a long time to set up and we left the area before fevered worshiping spread through the park.

Anyway, where was I? Oh, yeah . . . starting a few days ago.

20160706_114842-01.jpg

This is nice and also unusual . . . for the past week and a half (amazing that we’ve only been here a week and a half) there’s always been a slight haze making the transition from ocean to sky a bit difficult to figure out . . . but, not this morning.

20160706_114954-01.jpg

Hey! I know what day that was; it was Wednesday. The Pride of America, a Norwegian registry ship, is in the bay.

20160706_084953-01.jpg

That’s shot from the car as we drove on Ali’i Drive after our morning walk at the Old Kona Airport Park.

That’s our morning routine . . . we wake up anytime between 5:30 and 6:00. We leave the condo by 7:00 and head to the park. Depending how we feel (legs, knees, backs, etc) we walk either three or four miles. We drive back to the condo, have breakfast, and decide what we are going to do. By the way, on this particular morning, I saw this . . .

** WARNING ** WARNING ** if you have any level of arachnophobia, skip the next few photos.

20160707_073818-01.jpgDon’t worry; that’s just Plumeria. I took that photo to make sure the voice command worked on the phone (sometimes it turns off just to annoy me). I checked the voice command because I had to reach over some branches to get this shot.

20160707_073917-01.jpg

That spider is probably three to four inches long from toe-tip to toe-tip . . . assuming spiders have toes. This spider is a Black and Yellow Garden Spider. The interesting thing is that this spider ranges all over the US and I’ve only seen it in Hawaii. Now, I did try to get a shot from the other side . . . but failed.

The next day, I tried again . . .

20160709_075246-01.jpg

A little better, but the lighting was not good . . . so I asked Melisa to hold my hat on the other side and provide some shade.

20160709_075136-01.jpg

The bold zig-zag patterns are called “stabilimentum” . . . I think it means “mint from the stables”, but don’t quote me on that; my Latin is a little rusty.

So, we’ve also started to hit the consignment shops since we’ll need a computer table and a sewing table for when we decide to set up our hobbies.

We didn’t see anything suitable, but I did like these two things . . .

20160705_144357-01.jpg

20160705_144343-01.jpg

I did see a teak Indonesian gargoyle-like thing (with movable wings, no less) that I really liked . . . but proudly avoided buying. At least for now, we’re resisting the lure of rebuilding our stash of things that we don’t really need.

20160709_075920-01.jpg

By the way, this fellow is along the path we walk . . . he seems happy.

20160709_115909-01.jpg

On Saturday, we went to an estate sale. That was the view from the house; the picture does not do it justice . . . because like all subsequent photos, it’s from my phone. That’s right; I left home with snacks, coffee, hats, suntan lotion, and no Nikon gear.

The house is in Waimea, right off highway 19

. . . I bought a fan and we bought a few plastic containers.

“A fan, you say.”

Why, yes Bob, a fan. You see, boys and girls, we do not have air conditioning. Unlike in Colorado where, when the indoor temperature cracked 74º F, we fired up the A/C and pushed it back down to 72º F, here, we have to make do with fans. I’m going to say something now that I can’t rightly explain.

The typical indoor temperature at our condo is 81º F . . . that’s because the typical outdoor temperature is 81º F or higher. The typical indoor humidity ranges from 75% to 83%. A tad higher during and after it rains. At night, the indoor temperature drops to 79º F.

Now, had you told me in Colorado that this was going to be our lot in life here, in Hawai’i, I would have said “Well, screw that! I’m moving to Alaska.” But, here’s the funny thing . . . we’re pretty comfortable. Unless we go out walking or do some strenuous activity, we don’t even sweat. The logical explanation is that we’ve acclimated to the heat. An unkind person even pointed out that as people age they tend to prefer hot climates, but I still don’t like the heat and I’m at a loss to explain how, in temperatures and humidity that I would absolutely hate in Colorado, we can both be comfortable.

. . . I don’t believe in magic, but . . .

Anyway, we left Waimea and headed toward Hawi (pronounced “Havi”). You can click on the next photo for a larger version (the non-panorama photos are WYSIWYG).

20160709_131121-01.jpg

Don’t quote me on this because I’m still learning the various landmarks as seen from different points on the island, but below left is Waimea. Shrouded in the clouds, on the left and above Waimea is Mauna Kea. Just right of center and also capped by clouds sits Hualalai. The Waikoloa coast is behind the foreground hill. The ocean is barely visible to the right of the mound and before the fence. The panorama spans roughly 180º.

That mound in the foreground is interesting with a visually pleasing mix of dark soil and dried wild grass . . . not that you can tell from the phone photo. That will be properly photographed next time I travel that road. Here are individual photos from the same area.

20160709_131156-01.jpg 20160709_131132-01.jpg 20160709_131258-01.jpg 20160709_131546-01.jpg

Oh, here’s one more . . .

20160709_131334-01.jpg

Yes, that is our Highlander. We picked it up at Hilo on Friday. Still with Colorado plates and all. Let me tell you that it’s a joy to drive after nearly a month of driving a Jeep Compass. In fact, we were only supposed to go to the estate sale, but once out and driving, I just wanted to enjoy the smooth ride, quick acceleration, and comfort of a proper car.

A bit farther up the road, we stopped so I could take this photo.

20160709_132051-01.jpg

Gosh, that’s gonna look good when I snap it with my Nikon.

Hawi is a lot more commercial than we remembered . . . so we did not stop and continued on to Kapa’au, birthplace of King Kamehameha I.

20160709_140658-01.jpg

This park is one we’ve visited during each of our Big Island visits. There are other things I’ll write about nearby, but since we did not visit them this time, I’ll skip them for when we do.

This park has something else I like . . . a public restroom. I kid . . . mostly.

It has big-ass trees. Well, trees don’t exactly have asses, but if they did, the asses of these trees would be HUGE!

20160709_140348-01.jpg

20160709_140355-01.jpg

Before I go on, this is also a memorial park for . . .

20160709_140750-01.jpg

Also, before I get back to the trees . . .

20160709_140501-01.jpg 20160709_140516-03_20160710171620068.jpg 20160709_140534-01.jpg

I’ve yet to learn Hawai’ian — if I ever do — but I was able to guess Kapu means  . . . well, it has a lot of meanings, but I’ll go with “sacred”.

Anyway, trees, big . . . .

20160709_140729-01.jpg

The above tree would be even more impressive had it not lost a limb . . .

20160709_140806-01.jpg

. . . although, I think it’s trying to grow a replacement . . .

20160709_140810-01.jpg

As far as the other tree . . .

20160709_140832-01.jpg 20160709_140836-01.jpg

. . . also big, and with interesting textures . . .

20160709_140849-01.jpg 20160709_140903-01.jpg 20160709_140914-01.jpg

I’m occasionally faulted for not including common objects in the photos to give a sense of scale. Here you go . . .

20160709_140440-01_20160710221842958.jpg

Perhaps it’s not evident . . . let me try a different treatment.

20160709_140440-02.jpg

Still don’t see it? Let me help . . .

20160709_140440-01.jpg

That would be a coin; a quarter, to be specific, included in the photo for scale.

Leaving the park, we headed back home. We did make one other stop, at the port at Kawaihae . . .

20160709_145025-01.jpg 20160709_145037-02.jpg

That’s the Spirit of Seatrek (for a moment, I had read Star Trek . . . and was disappointed when I did a double-take).

We made it home just in time to escape the rain . . . our first good and prolonged rain since we got here. The indoor humidity got all the way up to 88%. The indoor temperature was 83º F. We were still pretty comfortable. Go figure.

This morning (Sunday, as I write this) we had French Toast. The rest of the day was uneventful other than yet another gecko is in the condo. They are very difficult to catch and even more difficult to herd outside. We’re not sure how they are getting in and Melisa is not happy about it.

I don’t want to kill the little lizards, but unless some of the traps I’ve set start working . . . well, we won’t go there until we have no other choices.

This entry was posted in Hawaii, Musings Stuff, Opinion, Personal, Photography, Photography Stuff, Scenery, The Big Island, Writing Stuff and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Bunch of Stuff

1. What’s wrong with geckos? :( They eat cockroaches :)

• mybrightlife says:

and mosquitoes…..

For one thing, they’re always trying to sell me insurance.

Seriously, I think they are cute but they do shit and carry Salmonella. Plus, they would have to be pretty big to eat cockroaches. Plus plus, the plan it to keep cockroaches out in the first place.

We could get a cat, and that would keep the gecko population down. An egret would also do the trick, but they to shit. Snakes would work, but that’s just trading one phobia for another.

Nope. . . I’ll eventually have to construct a humane and effective gecko live trap. Wish me luck.

• Beg to differ:

1) No insurance sales pitch (don’t start me on that)
        2) not noticed any shit. You must have an awful lot of fat geckos.
        3) no. Size is irrelevant. We find chomped up legs and bits of dead roaches.
        4) lol. Keep out roaches? Welcome to the hot humid world of the subtropics.
        5) my hunting dogs have no interest in geckos. Although snakes and egrets would tantalise them.
        Leave the geckos alone. They are beautiful animals and cause you no problems.
        Seriously, have you caught salmonella from a gecko? You have to be joking. That is beyond belief.

1) I beg to differ . . . the little sucker is on every few minutes when the TV is on.
          2) well, not fat, but they do eat a lot . . . perhaps Hawai’ian geckos process their food less efficiently than geckos in other tropical areas.
          3) roaches die on their own and can be subsequently eaten piecemeal. I find it hard to believe the large roaches here can be taken down by the size geckos I see here. On the other hand, I’m not an expert on either . . . but I soon will be.
          4) If I give up before I even try, the battle is lost before starting.
          5) Hunting dogs? I didn’t know you hunted.

I fully intend to leave geckos alone once they understand the boundaries of my tolerance.

and . . . http://www.cdc.gov/features/salmonellafrogturtle/

• In no particular order:
          I don’t, but the dogs would/could given half a chance. They are a sight/smell/hearing hound which is pretty rare. Shame you don’t like dogs, the big ones are meant to be capable of taking down bears. Mine tend to go for cats under cars, or rabbits in the countryside.
          Our geckos come in varying sizes. Saw one the other day, must have been at least six inches long, and no that wasn’t because its tail was five inches. Mostly they are in the garden, they only come in the house occasionally and just hang around on the wall, geckoishly.
          As for salmonella, as I don’t touch the geckos, it’s not an issue :)
          Mind you if it were a choice between salmonella ridden reptiles and children … in fact I’d be keeping the kids away from the reptiles.

Not sure where you got the idea I don’t like dogs. I would very much like a couple of dogs. Got the breeds picked out and all, but would likely get mutts.

What I don’t like are owners of dogs, especially owners who do not train their dogs.

Really, I’m very tolerant of most things (including bugs) and generally will try to live-catch them and relocate them. That said, it depends on the difficulty. The main thing I don’t like are bugs where I eat or sleep.

• Ah, that makes sense. It was some time back when you were complaining about barking dogs of neighbours.
          All our dogs have been rescues, some have been a mix, most have been pure breeds. But that’s by fluke rather than design. For example the current two, both homed from the street, are pure Podenco, confirmed by a number of vets. Not that it’s difficult to tell, they are very distinctive. I do like hounds though. And as they get thrown out here after one or two seasons, it’s not difficult to end up with one, or more. Sadly the pounds are absolutely full of them. People work hard to look after them, to find foster homes and permanent ones, but supply outstrips demand. Spain is very backward regarding its treatment of domestic animals.

• Plus. They don’t have to be big to eat roaches at all.

Maybe you should just shoot all the geckos :)

Interesting reads:

So, again . . . not looking for geckos to handle any kind or roach problem.

As for shooting them . . . my first instinct is to say “I woulda if I coulda” . . . but that’s not true; I’m not looking to harm geckos. Just discourage them from visiting. What I could do, and I am deadly with them, is hunt them with rubber bands (not just geckos; bugs too), but, again, messy. I’ll probably do what I used to do in Colorado . . . institute a catch and release procedure for bugs. But, as I said, geckos are a different matter. So far, I’ve only captured and relocated one, but it was a small one.

I’ve herded a few outside, but that time consuming.

I’ll work it out eventually.

• More than I ever wanted/needed to know about geckos/roaches!
          Our biggest problem is our neighbour who sprays anything moving, ants, roaches, flies, bees, spiders. So the roaches stagger into our unpolluted environment to gasp their last breaths. Hopefully the gecks have more sense than to eat a poisoned roach.
          I’m thinking you have a lot of time on your hands?

I have some time . . . but, mainly, I don’t have my computer up and running.

2. mybrightlife says:

Enjoying the insight into the terrain. Different to what I have envisioned based of course on bad tv….

3. Gecko’s are good . . . they eat the bugs. :-)

I’d much rather have a few geckos around, keeping the insect population down, than have spiders doing the job. Just saying…… spiders, under no circumstances, are “cute.” Hope you work that problem out, though, so Melissa is comfortable about it. The pictures taken with your phone look wonderful to me, and you seem to be settling in very happily, even with the warmer temperatures. Maybe it’s the sea breeze?

Intellectually, I can work out the positive with geckos . . . But, also the negatives. Bottom line, I prefer critter-free environments, but this is an older unit/complex . . . It’s not as well-sealed as I would like.

The breeze does help, but even when there is little breeze, it’s not as bad as I’ve experienced I’m other places at lower temperatures.

But, yes . . . Breeze . . . Hence the fans.

5. thanks for the tour and toast!! you must be loving it. I don’t mind geckos.

6. disperser says:

Hmm . . . I’ll have to research that. Unless there are flying geckos, I don’t see them as being a big factor in mosquito population control. I could be wrong.

• For mosquitoes, try jasmine. You aren’t very ecologically sound are you? Shoot the shit out if them, or spray the shit out of them comes to mind. Inspiration for a book. Maybe something will do that to you.

Ecologically sound? You forget that human themselves are little more than an infestation.

We’re way past being ecologically sound.

And yes, that is one of my worries, hence why I am a huge proponent of me carrying a gun. Don’t know about spraying . . . some bad guys have employed pepper spray and/or tasers, but they are in the minority. By far, bad guys prefer knives and guns.

• No. I don’t forget that at all. One of many reasons for not perpetuating myself with little roughseases. There are far too many idiots out there without me adding to the mix. Although in the overall scheme, that makes little difference. But still, there’s a perverse satisfaction in knowing that it all stops with me instead of some drivel about continuing the family line, and ‘contributing to the future’, fulfilling my life by breeding yack yack yack.
          Bad people will take whatever is to hand. Whether it’s a broken bottle or an AK47.

I’m glad to read that you think the Big Island is . . . big. I was concerned that you would have a limited amount of places to explore and keep you interested and satisfied. I clicked on the Big Island link and read the overview (very interesting), but was tickled to read at the end that it’s “home to the only land younger than you are”!!! Wow, that’s one sentence I never read before!

Beautiful photos, especially the huge trees. By the way, thanks for the arrows that point to the quarter . . .

Oh, yeah . . . lots here to keep me busy. And yes, younger land . . . technically not, because it’s coming from inside the land, but the thought is nice.

8. Good luck on your gecko hunting! I understand how Melisa feels…I don’t like lizards in the house! We lived in a house where that was just common place (ugh) and there were snakes in the garage, laundry room and outside. (UGH) (I have some wild stories I could tell about living there!!!!)

How big is your gecko? Will he be in your family holiday photo? (HA!)

Those darn geckos are so smart…talking with accents, selling insurance, having their own Facebook page, cleaning their eyes with their tongues, losing their tails, etc.! :-P

“Sacred” ha! Love the photos…especially the tree! He is impressive and handsome! :-) Even with his missing limb. That pillow is great!

HUGS for you, Melisa and Mr. Gecko! :-)

Yeah, if we had snakes in the house we would be planning a move to Alaska (no snakes there, at least until global warming improved the winter conditions there).

That said, the responses are coming down into two camps the “poor-geckos-leave-them-alone” camp and the “good-luck-getting-them-out” camp.

The one I captured was small . . . I don’t think I could use the same method for a larger one without risking hurting the critter. And no, there will be no bonding with the local fauna. If any show up in a Christmas photo it will be because they photobomb us (unlikely that as we don’t take many photos of ourselves).

Luckily, I’m immune to their insurance pitch as I use a competing insurance company.

• HA! You make me laugh!
        I won’t put photobombing past them! ;-) :-D Darn geckos! :-P
        It’s funny…because where we had the lizards and snakes was NOT in the desert or mountains…it was near the ocean…so weird.

. . . still, you have to be impressed with anyone who can lick their own eyes . . .

9. PiedType says:

Geckos are probably cute … somewhere else. I’m with Melisa. I don’t want crawly, scaly reptilian critters of any persuasion in my home. As for the heat and humidity … well, let’s just say I won’t ever have to worry about geckos.

10. I noticed you’ve graduated to a ‘Palindrone Man’ now,or is that the only vehicle you can hire in Hawai’i? What I had when I was driving around; the term Big Island confuses me a little; I take it that’s the one upon which Pearl Harbor resides; if it isn’t I’ve been grossly misled by my son-in-law Luke and his wife, Emma, my youngest daughter!
    Knowing your aversion to war and it’s glorification I don’t expect to see some of your photographic talent being utilized there, so I’ll have to put up with my own meagre efforts.

That’s my 2010 Highlander which I shipped from the mainland. We sold the Tahoe before leaving Colorado. So, no palindromic graduation . . . ‘been there for a while now.

The Big Island is the Island of Hawai’i (where the actual name of the island is “Hawai’i”) so named because it is by far the largest of the Hawai’ian islands.

Perl Harbor is on the island of Oahu, where Honolulu and Waikiki can be found. So, I’d say you were grossly misled.

I actually went to the Arizona Memorial in one of my previous visits. That was back in the days of film, so I’d have to dig up the negatives and scan them in to show you my then-limited photographic prowess.

Also, I’ve photographed battlefields,military cemeteries, and even Little Big Horn. I may be war-averse, but am a big believer in knowing history and what has gone on before my time.

• What a pity you’ve, recalled your history somewhat askew and misguided. As I recall England was ruled by the Roman Empire and actually was the last outpost of said Empire before in collapsed completely and became the mess that turned into the holy roman empire ruled by some saints in the vatican, or some such rubbish and finished up the way it is now. The Emperor Constantine was running England from York at the time he received the nod that he was now boss of the whole damn shebang.There is rather a good statue of him outside Yorkminster and one of the ancient Roman Empire pillars is still standing close by, I have pictures of both somewhere. Here endeth the lesson for today :)

Did you read what you wrote? . . . England was ruled by the Roman Empire . . . what was there before? I can be safely said the basis for whatever accomplishment the English claim as their own can be traced back to my ancestors.

But, really, I don’t have to justify my culinary preferences. They have been honed by years of experience and I’m not about to put misguided convention above the solid research I’ve accumulated through the years.