The Plan Revealed

I think by now most readers of this blog know we have sold our house. They may or may not know we sold most of our possessions (save a few boxes of stuff and four suitcases).

What most don’t know is where we are going or our plans when we get there. Well, we are there. It was a long time coming, following a road with many twists and turns. Not at road’s end yet, but the majority of the travel has been done.

I shared photos from those travels, and I can add a few more photos to round out the narrative of the sights we saw. Aside Hoover Dam and the Great Sequoia National Monument, we saw a lot of Western scenery.

Because we were on a timetable, some of the photos were taken from the car . . . the car might have been moving at the time.

20160612_095505-01.jpg 20160612_081049-01.jpg 20160612_091023-01.jpg 20160611_172007-01.jpg

Occasionally, we did stop . . .

20160612_094944-01.jpg 20160612_100112-01_20160616154743069.jpg 20160612_095008-01.jpgAnd not just by the side of the road . . .

20160611_170709-01.jpg 20160611_171054-01.jpg 20160611_171103-01.jpgOccasionally, I even managed photos I’m quite happy with . . .

20160611_170944-01.jpg20160611_171011-01.jpg20160611_171024-01.jpg

Mind you, I have higher hopes for my Nikon photos. These, however, don’t suck all that much.

Still, despite the occasional stop . . . moving shots were more numerous.

20160611_162726-01.jpg 20160611_162931-01_20160616161200507.jpgWhere were we headed?

20160614_182720-01.jpg

What’s in San Diego?

Good question. For a few days, we were. We dropped off our Toyota Highlander. Yes, we travel different paths for a while, but will be reunited in a month or so.

On Wednesday, we left the US mainland . . .

20160616_180138-01.jpgWestward, we flew . . . we also ate.

20160616_190733-01.jpg

. . . and late Wednesday night, we arrived at our destination. Of course, it was dark by then, but this morning’s first light shows a bit more . . .

20160617053431-01.jpg

20160617053511-01.jpg

20160312_194429-01_20160616170146494.jpg

Holy cow! Where is that?

That, dear readers, is the Big Island; Hawaii.

Yes, having sold most of our possessions, having sold our home, we traveled westward to try and make Hawaii our new home.

I plan to write more extensively about the process, the hurdles, and what we learned along the way, but for now, suffice it to say we are here and ready to begin a new chapter of our lives.

We mostly ran errands (shopping and stuff), but I did manage a few flower photos . . .

20160617_135158-01.jpg20160617_135211-01.jpgThis first day is over, but we did celebrate it by snapping a selfie . . .

20160617_190101-01.jpg

Yes, it’s very humid here (a BIG change from Colorado) as can be seen by the unruly hair. Melisa is also having issues with her hair. That’s not the only adjustment we’ll have to make, but we hope the positives will outweigh the negatives.

And so ends our first day on the island that will be our home for a number of years to come.

20160617_190233-01.jpg

If you are not reading this blog post at DisperserTracks.com, know that it has been copied without permission, and likely is being used by someone with nefarious intention, like attracting you to a malware-infested website.  Could be they also torture small mammals.

This entry was posted in Musings Stuff, Personal, Photography, Photography Stuff, Scenery, Travel Stuff and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to The Plan Revealed

1. Emily Scott says:

What an adventure! I look forward to hearing more about your new life in a tropical paradise.

2. Caity says:

Wow, a bit of a change in scenery! Best of luck with all the pesky details of getting settled in your new home and I hope you’re really happy there.

3. What an exciting change! I’ve been to Oahu many years ago and I am sure you will enjoy your new home. Amelia

4. gdH says:

Hope you are able to tame your hair. Maybe time to try a shorter style?
    Did Melisa keep her sewing machine(s)?

The shorter style was always the plan based on slowly losing it.

The two big items we shipped were my computer setup and her sewing machine. The smaller boxes we shipped got here pretty beat up, so there is some concern about how the larger boxes will hold up.

We had discussed selling and replacing both the computer and sewing machine but they are worth more than what we would get for them, and new they would cost much more to replace than to ship them. We’ll see how they fare.

5. What a great adventure Emilio and I look forward to reading more about it. Love the hair comment lol :)

6. Sandy Mabery says:

Looks very much like the place we all stayed at on our Hartwick trip back I the day!

7. seekraz says:

Good for you, Emilio….I hope it’s everything you want it to be!!

8. Congratulations!! Glad you made it. Can’t wait to hear about your future adventures.

9. Good Luck with your new surroundings! We visited Hawaii many times over the years and we always enjoyed our stays there.

Thank you. We’ve also visited many times. Not the same as living someplace, but at least there’s more familiarity than most places we’d considered for our move.

You two must be feeling very relieved that you left all that past stuff behind . . . literally. Now it’s time to relax and enjoy the “work” of looking for your new home. Mother and I hope you have fun with this phase of your journey.

Thanks. There’s still ambiguity and second-guessing (as might happen with any decision) but we’re looking forward more than looking back.

Things are rarely as easy as one hopes, but seldom as difficult as one fears. One step after another, as they say.

11. Teresa (Snoopy's foster Mom) says:

That is my favorite “selfie” picture ever!

Now that all the hectic packing and decisions and deadlines are done, and you are there. take a deep breath and a few moments to relax and enjoy. Very glad you made it safely, and are there. Can’t think of a lovelier place to be, to be honest!

Thanks, Sandra. It’s a mix of relaxing and also hearing up for what we needed to do to finally settle here. But, yes . . . The difficult part is over. The rest is just stuff that needs doing.

13. YAY! Congrats! Yippee! Yahooie!
    Glad you two are finally there! I’m SO excited for you, Emilio!
    The adventure continues!
    Looking forward to hearing and seeing more!
    PS…what a creative, beautiful selfie!

14. RICHARD RAYMOND RYSIEWSKI says:

Let the journey begin, with all the twists, pot holes and detours.
    Wish you the best!

Hey, Rich. We’re six hours behind you, but I’ll try and give you a call in the next few days as we get settled. Email me some times when it’s a good time to call.

15. Eddy Winko says:

I’m just trying to imagine you with a shaved head wearing a hula skirt!
    Good luck house hunting.

16. colonialist says:

No need to ask Hawaii this seems a good plan!
    This is a far cry from those well-photographed desert scenes, indeed.

17. mvschulze says:

Wow and congratulations was my first impression on your revelation. I have been pretty much internet dark for the past couple of weeks, and am now beginning catching up, – looking forward to whatever the hell you two are up to! M :-) (6/26/16)

18. scallywag195 says:

This was fun reading, Emilio. Thanks for putting the link on the FB Vp 19 page.