Something Else

I don’t often do this. By ‘this’ I mean point people to someplace else.

I mean, I’m trying to build my own audience, you see. I’m nearing nearly 900 followers of this blog, and I can do the math. Based on current percentages, once I reach 1,000 followers I will have 6.73 people who regularly read my fiction. That should be enough to get me a huge book contract from fourth-rate publishing outfit. I’m talking advances in the tens of dollars. Yes, you read right; all I’ll have to pay them to get me published is about forty dollars.

Seriously, all my readers (my regular readers — about fifteen or so) should check out Wait But Why.

I should warn you . . . he writes very long, very detail posts. If you think my posts are long, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

Having said that, there is one major difference: you will want to read every word of his posts. Maybe not every post, but those that interest you should be read from start to finish.

What’s interesting, you ask?

Well, what about two articles on population and population density? (HERE and HERE)

Speaking od population, how about a post (HERE) comparing death tolls of various events throughout history (near and far). That’s from 2013; more shit happened around the globe resulting in people dying since then, but it gives you a solid base to work from.

Speaking of dead people, THIS post compares famous figures from history to people currently alive and annoying the rest of us.

History . . . he writes a lot about history. The most recent one is from just a few days ago and talks about Horizontal History. Fascinating.

But, the guy (Tim Urban) also covers incredibly important stuff, like the history of Iraq from Muhammad to ISIS. Doubly Fascinating.

There is more interesting stuff, like What Makes You You, contemplation of The Fermi Paradox, and an interesting look at Time.

I could keep listing stuff I found interesting, but I be a weird dude, and experience tells me that stuff I’m interested in is not the stuff other people are interested in.

You should go see what might interest you. I’m sure you’ll find something.

Edited to Add: you got to read THIS. Trust me on this.

This entry was posted in No Category and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Something Else

1. Joanna says:

I’ve read the last post ‘Meet Your Mammoth’ and it was really interesting like you said. He’s a very good observer and writes phenomenally about the things he sees and experiences. I can understand why you wanted to point this guy out. As for me: I don’t want to spend hours and hours behind my laptop to read all these long articles, my interest lies much more to photography and photoshop…and with that I spend more than enough time behind the screen…

2. Emily Scott says:

Enjoyed the death toll breakdown. Wouldn’t have guessed there’d be more suicides than murders.

Read some of “Taming the Mammoth”, but got to the end of “Horizontal History”. Now, that was fascinating reading. I found both posts good reads and imagine that the others you linked are, too. Thanks for introducing him to me.

P.S. You’re still #1 read on my very, very short list of bloggers.

4. Wow! Someone who is more verbose than me!? Than you?! I don’t believe it! ;-) :-P
    I’ll go check him out.
    What an amazing blogger he is! The dude’s like “Super Dooper Blogger”! And he’s only 34 years old!
    I read his “The Tail End”. It was excellent!
    I will check out “the mammoth” one later tonight when I have more time.
    I wonder if the dude has written a book? How he has time to write AND read all the comments he gets?

It reminds me a bit about everything I do versus what I should do . . . there are those, like him, who research and really make the effort to put together amazing posts, and then there are those like me, who fling as much stuff on the wall and hopes something sticks.

Same with photography and writing . . . I put just enough effort in to make it look like work, and hope it doesn’t stink too bad. Others view those activities as crafts that need to be honed, studied, and practiced. Them be the ones who make money at what they do.

That said, lots of good stuff there.

• Well, I greatly enjoy your posts, Emilio! :-)

• BTW: Through your blog I’ve learned a lot about writing this past year. I’m not sure it shows in my latest writing (a poem I posted yesterday)…but, I am learning and working on my writing of poems and stories. I found an old poem of 10 years ago and then wrote a new one. Trying to compare for myself how my writing has evolved or not evolved. :-)

That’s odd . . . I must have missed the notice. I’ll drop by in a bit to read it.

I’m not sure how much feedback I can give you as my eyes cross and I twitch when poetry crosses my path, but I’ll give it a go.

As for learning from me . . . you poor thing, you.

5. Thanks for the links to Tim Urban’s blog. I just read the post on horizontal history and the one on the mammoth and will be going back for more. Haven’t had time to read your latest chapter yet but hope to soon.

6. Eddy Winko says:

I’m having a go at ‘this’ but it could take another tea break to get through. I can’t wait for the long winter nights!

7. Caity says:

Hmm. Very interesting and a lot of sense…to a certain extent. Of course, we still, in a way, live in tribes, so a lot of what the mammoth feels and thinks is still relevant. It is estimated that most humans have significant, meaningful contact with around 80 other people. Of course, that group changes as you progress through the stages of your life, but the figure remains mostly constant. So a lot of the self-monitoring that is mentioned in the first part of the article is still relevant as you try and fit in with your tribe of 80. Where it differs is that any repercussions of not fitting in are not quite as drastic. Though losing your job or alienating your family can be hard!

I pointed people to that article for one reason . . . to highlight the unreasonable amount of importance most people put in ‘fitting in’. I don’t know if it’s a curse or a blessing (I see it as a blessing), but ever since I can remember I’ve shunned “groups”. Membership to anything is to this day something I avoid. That goes double for modifying what I do, think, or say based on what someone might think of me.

Now, I’m not saying I am contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. I’m saying I don’t get my self-worth from other people (I am blessed/cursed with a healthy ego that rightly thinks the world of me). I tried explaining it here: https://dispersertracks.com/2012/03/25/self-confidence/

But, as I state in the piece, words fall short of explaining the mindset. I do agree that some of the self-monitoring one does is driven by social convention, but there is a wide gap between modifying one’s behavior, thoughts, and actions because of internal thought processes and doing so because of social pressure. Sure, the two are interconnected, but if one looks at the number of assholes in the world, one quickly realizes many more people drift toward my attitude than not, although they do so in a very negative way (example: “it’s a free country and I can be an asshole iff I want to, and I want to!”)

Hopefully, I’m successful in tempering my attitude and avoid being an asshole to others (meaning, I try to provide a positive experience when others interact with me). But the underlying rule is to not worry about pleasing others outside of the most basic social norm (call it politeness). Everything else is outside anyone else’s sphere of influence.

The article speaks of Authentic Voice . . . it speaks to being who you are; to not being what others want you to be, and in doing so being happier. I can’t speak for others, but I can say that premise works for me . . . and I don’t have meaningful contact with 80 people. More like 10 (I’m being very generous in my estimate). It’s a great life I lead.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w