Happy Holidays 2015!

As neglectful as I’ve been with this blog lately, I figure I should take a little bit of time from my Getting Published efforts and acknowledge what my readers mean to me.

I have three short stories and last year’s  NaNoWriMo novel submitted. In addition, I’m composing queries letters to agents (easier to break into traditional publishing if you can land an agent), and it’s you, my readers, who encouraged me to put my stuff out there. You may be few in numbers, but the time you spend reading my stuff and/or looking at my photos is much appreciated. Regardless if anyone publishes what I write, the fact a few people read it here is of value to me.

Well, enough soppy stuff . . . time for some Holiday Greetings. I came across a few actions (free to registered members) by PanosFX that are perfect for the holidays. The only problem I encountered was coming up with the right photos to use.

Initially, I was not going to put much effort into it . . . I had taken a couple of photos from 2013 and scribbled stuff on them:

Christmas, X-Mas 2013,

Christmas, X-Mas 2013,

I mean, I did make the effort to actually write something by hand, so I felt pretty good about it.

Then, the PanosFX actions crossed my path. Well, crap! Now I need to find appropriate photos, preferably of Christmas scenes or things that evoke Christmas scenes. Now, I could use the photos of our 2011 Christmas meal . . .

24DEC2011_2__DSC8130-Processed

Heck, I can even play with some of my new Topaz Plugins . . .

Watercolor Rendition

Watercolor Rendition

Oil Painting Filter

Oil Painting Filter

Here’s the output for one of the Panos actions using the above:

Happy Holidays-1

But, no. I wanted an outdoor scene . . . so I looked at what I had as far as outdoor scenes.

02DEC2011_1__DSC7899-Processed-2

Let me see how that looks . . .

Happy Holidays-2

I mean, it looks nice, but . . . maybe if I turned it into night . . .

02DEC2011_1__DSC7899-2

“Wait just a cotton picking blue minute!” I hear you exclaim in indignation. “How is that night!?”

That’s what I say when I see movies using blue filters to simulate nighttime when I can plainly see it’s shot in the daytime. But, you know what? Treat it a bit with the Impression Plugin . . .

02DEC2011_1__DSC7899-Processed

. . . add some stars and solar flares using the Topaz Star Plugin . . .

02DEC2011_1__DSC7899-Processed-Processed

. . . and it done do look like some of them X-Mas postcards people buy for $3 a pop.

The thing is, it’s a bit busy. How about I take this photo . . .

12FB2012_1__DSC8677-Processed

. . . and run a similar processing on it?

12FB2012_1__DSC8677-Processed-Processed

How would that look?

Happy Holidays-4Yeah, I know . . . a different globe. Blame Panos for that.

Still, those are in portrait mode . . . perhaps a landscape shot would work better.

12FB2012_1__DSC8686-Processed. . . let me add some twinkly stuff . . .

12FB2012_1__DSC8686-Processed-Processed-Processed

. . . maybe some solar flares . . .

12FB2012_1__DSC8686-Processed-Processed-Processed-Processed

I might have something there. Let me see what that looks like in the globes.

Happy Holidays-5

Happy Holidays-3

You know, it sure would be nice if Panos had some free snow falling actions I could run on the photos. Perhaps, I could then grab some Creative Commons Christmas Music from INCOMPETECH and blend it all into movies . . .

Not bad . . . let me see how the other ones look . . .

I like those . . . but, I really wanted a combination of all that . . . globes, photos, animation, music . . . and one of the actions from PanosFX lets me do that . . .

To all my readers, my sincere wishes for a joyous celebration of the season with family and good friends.

This entry was posted in Animation, Photo-effects, Photography and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Happy Holidays 2015!

1. Eddy Winko says:

All the very best wishes for the season. It’s good to see some snow, we have a very unseasonal 9c (48f) sunny day…..at least the road is clear for our guests…niw to get cooking!

Thank you. And, we have that kind of temperature almost every week . . . but we also have the one or two days each week where snow comes for a visit . . . and hangs around.

2. GP Cox says:

OUTSTANDING post! Have a very Merry Christmas all year!!

3. mvschulze says:

EJ: These are incredible. It IS Christmas morning, and just meandering through your remarkable post has set the tone. Your Christmas Diner setup kicks it off and is making my wife jealous. From there on, your ability to magically turn the images into a wonderland of the season leaves me speechless (ok, well not quite – but envious for sure.) It would have taken me a week or two to do this, if I were able at all. I’m curious as to how much time you put into it. You make everything seem so routine, so easy. And the base images are uniquily yours. Nice work, and thanks for adding another dimension of Christmas to our home. M :-)

Not that long; a couple of hours, and most of that was spent looking for the photos and playing with different versions of them. Also, finding royalty-free music I could use in the videos. The animations, globes, and stuff are all literally a press of the mouse once you have the photo loaded.

As for the meal, the photo is from 2011, but we did have a similar one on Christmas eve 2012 (https://dispersertracks.com/2012/12/25/happy-holidays-2012/) that shows more of the setting and the food.

Glad you enjoyed the post.

Seasons greetings to you, also. For once I wish we had a little snow but we’re having a green Christmas this year. I’m really not complaining about it, it’s sort of nice. But I do like the winter shots.

This is the first year in many where we’ve had snow in significant amounts. Don’t mind it since we don’t have to go out when it’s bad, and we do need the water.

5. All are beautiful, but I especially like Christmas meal 2011. It’s really lovely. Cheers to you and your family for a happy and healthy 2016.

Glad the only snow I see is on your photos! Positively love the first fence photo, it’s stunning in its simplicity and beauty. Needless to say (but I will anyway), the rest of the shots (original and creative) are lovely, especially Melisa’s holiday table setting.

And thanks for the Holiday Greetings videos, they’re appropriately joyful!

Thanks, I was lazy this year and instead of going out to snap new photos, I used photos from previous years. But, the apps and actions I used are new. Enjoy your days off.

7. seekraz says:

I’m admiring your snow up there for the holidays…especially enjoyed that first one of the fence. Very nice, Emilio. I hope you have a peaceful season.

8. Great pictures as usual ej and luckily for me I found just one tiny blue(mistake) which I will not be sharing with you

All the best for the New Year and the very best of luck with your endeavours, You try hard (in more ways than one) and I believe you deserve to succeed.

Oh, you did done do, did you? What if it’s not a mistake?

Not sure I qualify as a hard worker when it comes to any career . . . more like ‘perhaps if I wait here someone will notice me’.

9. Keep writing and keep submitting!
    Love your holiday/winter photos! Especially the glittery ornaments AND the glittery snow! The falling snow and the settled snow! :-)
    Hope you had a great Christmas!
    Cool snow globes! Enjoyed the vids!

That I will . . . as soon as I finish submitting stuff, I’m hitting the writing trail with both feet running.

And thanks. We had a nice relaxing x-mas. Hope yours was as exciting and busy as it sounded.

10. Aquileana says:

Beautiful photographs, videos and words for this special time of the year…
    I hope you had a great Christmas and wish you the best for the new year ahead…
    Aquileana 🌟★🌟

11. beautiful photos! Hope you were merry!! All the best!