Analogs and the Rose

As part of our continued push toward a leaner and nimbler life, I’m tackling my collection of written material. My first effort, before I tackle my numerous books, is my collection of Analogs, as in Analog of Science Fiction and Fact.

20151206_154452-01

20151206_154500-01

20151206_154418-01

The year was 1983; a coworker and friend named Ted Noble lent me Isaac Asimov’s I, Robot. I devoured it.

I stopped reading mysteries, historical fiction, and everything that was not Science Fiction. In subsequent years, I raced through Asimov’s works, Clarke’s, Niven, Heinlein . . . the list goes on and on. Also, I immediately subscribed to Analog.

But, not just subscribed. I also scoured used bookstores for pre-1984 copies of the publication, including copies from when the publication was called Astounding Science Fiction. My oldest issue is from 1955.

For various reasons, I stopped my subscription last year. I have all of the issues from 1984 through April of 2014 with the exception of two. I surprised to discover those gaps, but given I owned and ran a business, I was always behind in my reading and probably missed the fact a few issues did not arrive. The last issue I read was December of 2007. I might still decide to read the 2008-214 issues, but right now the plan is to sell them all.

I’m a bit conflicted about getting rid of the Analogs but, realistically, I’m never going to re-read them. The surprising thing is just how many of the covers I remember; it’s like visiting old friends. Analog introduced me to many new writers and one of my goals is to eventually be one of the new writers appearing between its covers. We’ll see.

Meanwhile, these old friends will shortly go up on eBay.

The title mentions roses. Remember THIS post? Well, that same rose opened up in subsequent days and looked even nicer. It’s gone now, but it was captured on digital film. Of course, I played with some of the new filters.

20151111_DSC2839_1_DSC2839_DIGI

20151111_DSC2839_1_DSC2839-Processed_DIGI

That’s the first processing and one that will be tough to surpass.

20151111_DSC2843_1_DSC2843_DIGI

20151111_DSC2843_1_DSC2843-Processed_DIGI

Well, that’s not too bad. That’s one of the ancient texture options.

20151111_DSC2844_1_DSC2844_DIGI

20151111_DSC2844_1_DSC2844-Processed_DIGI

This is one of the pencil drawing options . . . I like it.

Finally, one more try with the Neon filter . . .

20151111_DSC2847_1_DSC2847_DIGI

20151111_DSC2847_1_DSC2847-Processed_DIGI

Still not sure about this . . . . I’m still looking for a good application of this filter.

~ ~ ~ ~ o o o o ~ ~ ~ ~

The next post will contain Chapter 21 of the 2015 NaNoWriMo work-in-progress and it will go up immediately after this post goes live. As I said, it’s password protected.

Please, don’t just ask for a password just to make me feel good. Unless you intend to read it, don’t ask. I will not feel hurt, I will not cry myself to sleep, I will not hate anyone who chooses not to read my effort. I will, however, get a little miffed if I get asked for passwords by a bunch of people and then only my usual four or five readers actually read the stuff.

This entry was posted in Flowers, Photo-effects, Photography, Photography Stuff, Red Rose, Writing Stuff and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Analogs and the Rose

When I was movin cross country a few years ago I had to get rid of 25 years of Nat Geo, but nobody wanted them. I was forced to put them out with the trash at the last minute. Minutes before the recycle truck came a man stopped, got out of his car and looked over the collection. He took every one. That made my day. Find a good home for the Analogs. It’s out there somewhere.

Yeah, when we moved from Michigan I tried to donate many of the magazines (including NatGeos) to retirement homes, libraries, asking anyone if they were interested. Many went back to the late seventies. Particularly painful to get rid of were my Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, Handyman Magazine, and numerous others that I often referenced.

Had I access to the scanning and storage options that we have now, I would have a lot of information that might be interesting . . . then again, we live in an age where people’s interest in many things has shifted from acquiring knowledge to sharing cat photos.

After we moved here, I did a couple of purges, and at least I was able to make donations to book drives. Also, in a couple of garage sales I was able to offer up free books. Many were picked up.

The analogs are going on eBay. They seem to sell, so I have hopes they will be valued by someone who appreciates the slice of Science Fiction history they offer.

2. I hope your old friends find good homes! That is an amazing collection! Wow!
    And OHMYGOSHANDGOLLY! I love the rose photos! Especially the ancient one and the pencil drawing one! Beautiful! :-)
    I have some old mags from the early 1900’s…but not a huge collection…and so I can keep them and display them and my daughter will get them some day.

Thank you, that’s very nice of you to say. It was tough . . . I had to first look through the previews and then click on one of them. Four times! . . . It was draining . . .

As for the Analogs, I’m sure someone will buy them. Hopefully, someone like me.

3. PiedType says:

Yep, those Analogs have to go to someone else who will appreciate them as much as you have and do. As for the rose … spectacular!! Absolutely gorgeous. I know you love playing with filters, but I wouldn’t change a single pixel on the original image.

Thank you. I only snapped the picture; evolution did most of the work.

I like the original images as well. I play with the filters because sometimes they bring out details and highlight features and textures that otherwise might go unseen.

4. badfish says:

I could never just toss out my books. Unless I was moving, or something. I’m a hoarder. I like the idea of all those various ways to edit the rose, but I like that first one best.

5. Howse you doing, Emilio?!
    Hope you and Melisa are having a good week!
    I’m thinking about The Zombie Kid and laughing! :-P
    PS…Watch your chestnuts around open fires!

Busy editing last year’s novel before I send it out on an agent search. Also, editing the September stories, also for submission this month. Eating, exercising and keeping chestnuts safe.

Thanks for asking, and hope you are also doing well (and that your tests come back with the best possible news).

• Oh good! I’ve got all my crossable parts crossed for you! And sending best wishes your way! I so believe in you and your writing! I can’t wait until you are published!

You’re welcome! I’m doing well! Keeping busy with work, Christmas stuff (including parties), home chores, walks, etc.!

Thank you! I hope to know the result of the med-test I had on Tuesday soon…tomorrow or Monday hopefully.

The rose photos? I like them all, too!

Due to the many moves I’ve done, I reluctantly donated magazines and most of my books to the local libraries. But I did tear out favorite pages from my art magazines so as to reduce the weight of the storage boxes. I’ve got three of them that I occasionally open up, randomly choose a few folders, and fill up my creative well with beautiful images and ideas. I doubt if I will ever get rid of these. I’ll leave that task to those remaining after my passing.