Back at home base

I’m back home. First off, I apologize to all the people whose blogs I follow. I don’t know if I’ll get to everything I missed while I was gone. I’ll get to some, but probably not all.

You see, November is around the corner, and I plan to NaNoWriMo my way through it. That’s on top of trying to edit a number of pieces and sending them out. And on top of that, working around the house (big painting project coming up), selling stuff on eBay, and probably other stuff I’m forgetting right now (I’ve been up for about nineteen hours).

0025-Cranbrook_JUL04_DIGI

And photos! I’ve been neglecting my photos and that’s a problem because some of the people who visit here could not care less about my writing (casual or fiction) and are solely interested in the photos.

I don’t have any current stuff ready for public consumption, so I looked back to 2006-2007 and picked out a few photos that readers might not have seen.

0043-Cranbrook_JUL04_DIGI

I tried getting a mix of stuff, but primarily flowers and other trappings of Summer.

0062-Cranbrook_JUL04_DIGI

I even did me a B&W shot . . .

0001-Grand_Rapids_Meijer_Gardens_II-Processed_DIGI

. . . although I also have the color version as some people are adamant about preferring color in their photos.

0001-Grand_Rapids_Meijer_Gardens_II-Processed-2_DIGI

Not sure which I like best . . . perhaps I like both equally well but for different reasons.

Most of these shots, not all, are taken from my visit to Cranbrook (Michigan). Others are from the Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids (Michigan).

0084-Cranbrook_JUL04_DIGI

0096-Grand_Rapids_Meijer_Gardens-Processed_DIGI

Some are from my yard . . .

4528_JUN06_MISC2-Processed_DIGI

6209_JUL07_MISC4-Processed_DIGI

Some are from a little rest area in Ute Pass, part of my daily commute for the better part of eight years.

5752_JUN07_MISC1-Processed_DIGI

As usual, readers can click on the photos to have a larger version open in another window or tab. I did not add these to SmugMug because it’s a short post.

I hope this brief update gives readers who come for the photos a “fix” until I get back into my routine.

I also plan to summarize my experience at Viable Paradise, primarily for people who will attend next year and are looking for an idea as to what one can expect. Related to that, I plan to take a few of the shorts published in this blog and re-write them, edit them, using what I learned at the workshop. Curious readers will have a chance to comment on the before and after of the pieces.

And with that, I bid you goodnight. I have snacks to eat before I sleep. Also, before I sleep, a tall glass of orange juice should hit the spot. Thank you for reading (for them who read all these words), and/or thank you to them more visually oriented; I hope the photos were to your liking.

This entry was posted in Black & White, Butterflies, Flowers, Musings Stuff, Personal, Photography, Photography Stuff, Spiders and Insects and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Back at home base

Excellent shots especially the butterfly. And I never tire of flowers. I like the b&w conversion and think the ferns would be a nice shot to convert, but that is just advise coming from shooting b&w film for so long.

Thank you, and I think you are right. The ferns would make a nice conversion, but I was fighting sleep as I posted this last night. It never crossed my mind. Perhaps I’ll give it a go later.

Very hard to choose a favorite! Why do you keep doing that???

Kidding aside, I really like the waterfall shot, and the B&W has a wispy, haunting look about it that’s perfect for this time of year.

As you know, many people ascribe to the “post one good photo” hypothesis for providing satisfaction to one’s readers.

I’m more in the “make their heads explode” camp. I like the sound they make, like busting bubble wrap.

I agree, that butterfly is phenomenal. And thank you for the flowers. Especially the colorful ones.

But are you spreading yourself too thin? You have listed enough projects to deal with in November to last six months….are you sure you need to do all that? Not that we don’t enjoy it all, the pictures and flowers and stories, and you are the best judge of what you want to do. But sometimes, when you run through your planned itinerary as if it were just a sneeze or two, I get exhausted just thinking about it all. Don’t mind me.

But quit trying to make our heads explode.

Often it’s a case of shooting for the stars and hitting the moon. That was the case in September when I shot for ten short stories and I got five. Five is a lot more than none.

As for November, the painting and other chores have to get started, but there is no deadline. The eBay will be an on-going thing. NaNoWriMo will happen but as in previous years, if I have to set it aside and finish in December I will not beat myself up about it.

The writing will be a bigger priority, especially the sending out part.

Still plan to golf, clean house, go to the gym, spend time with Melisa, and read stuff. Somehow, it will all happen. After all, I used to own a business, travel, play racquetball, golf, photograph stuff, spend time with Melisa, work on the yard, do chores around the house . . . it sure looks like too much when I look back at it, but at the time it all happened as a part of living. I’m sure it will again.

Of course, back then the Internet was not as big a part of my life . . . that’s perhaps what I need to get back to.

. . . head exploding is one of the few things I plan to keep doing no matter what . . .

4. Welcome Back! (and Welcome Front and Sides!) :-) Glad you are home safe and sound and snacking, Emilio!
    It is wonderful to see these photos on a cold Autumn night! Especially the butterfly!
    Can’t wait to hear more about your experiences with VP! (Not Joe Biden!)
    I think November is going to be flying by! Ugh.

5. Nancy Mehuys says: