Photo Rehab Cover Makeover #5: Simplified Simply Red

Cover Makeover #5 and this one will be a stretch.

Here’s what we are given as the original:

So, this is a CD cover . . . from a singer I don’t particularly like. Well, I don’t know him; I don’t like his music, is what I should have said.

As I looked at that cover I saw a couple (plus one) immediate problems. One, I don’t have photos of Simply Red or, for that matter, of people in general. Two, I don’t have photos of musical instruments. Three, that’s too stark a cover to hold my interest.

However, the dude’s hair and name immediately brought to mind this photo . . .

01-20120720_1_DSC6219_Original_DIGI

So, need to crop to a 1:1 ratio and remove everything but the color red.

02-20120720_1_DSC6219-cropped only red_DIGI

Now, I want to put in a reddish tint (yes, I actually had a final product in mind).

03-20120720_1_DSC6219-red-01_DIGI

Now, pass it through Topaz Simplify . . .

04-20120720_1_DSC6219-red-02_DIGI

. . . mix in a bit of “negative” effect . . .

05-20120720_1_DSC6219-flat _DIGI

. . . and add the title . . .

06-20120720_1_DSC6219-first cut_DIGI

. . . and I don’t like it much . . . too bright, not moody enough. OK, let’s see . . .

Add a red border, and move the words . . .

07-20120720_1_DSC6219-second cut_DIGI

. . . use the Lighting filter in Photoshop to add some spotlights.

08-20120720_1_DSC6219-third cut_DIGI

Hmm . . . too dark. Let me use a gradient filter  . . .

09-20120720_1_DSC6219-final_DIGI

Okely Dokely; I like it! Now, people might point out (jerks!) the title is not well lit. Unfortunate that because I like the position of the title.

Also, what’s with the hummingbird? Well, the hummingbird represents the complex relationship of the human psyche to the deep understanding of musical . . . ah, screw it; it was in the picture, so I left it in.

This cover has nothing to do with the artist, the music, or anything other than I like the arrangement and effects.

. . . and it gots “red” in it . . .  I don’t think they are going to call me in as a consultant on their next cover.

Here’s something that’s not close to the music of Simply Red . . .

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ o o o o o o ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bunched Underwear

Bunched Underwear

Astute persons might have noticed these doodles, and correctly surmised they hold some significance for me, and perhaps for humanity at large.

If you click on the doodle, and nothing happens, this is the link it’s supposed to go to: https://disperser.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/palm-vx-and-i/.

This entry was posted in Photography, Writing Stuff and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Photo Rehab Cover Makeover #5: Simplified Simply Red

Okay, I admit I’m one of those that would put the text layer on top just because I know that people in show business can be a pain in the ass about titles sometimes. But knowing your feelings on it I’d just move the text to the bottom right. I should get involved in these challenges. Looks like fun.

I had targeted spotlights of different colors, and it got too busy. I could have lowered the text just a bit to have it all lit, but I liked that effect.

And you should get involved; they are fun.

2. desleyjane says:

LOL when you said “the dude’s hair” and I saw the photo, I laughed out loud. Love it! Still grinning.

3. mybrightlife says:

I love Simply Red. Part of the music that I grew up on. They have an edginess that is well reflected in your fun sun thingy. I could see it as a cover.

Thanks; like I said, not my kind of music, but then, I have not heard everything by Simply Red. I don’t hate it, but I don’t seek it out, either.

I suppose it’s different growing up with a type of music; hearing it as an adult, it does not evoke anything for me – I’m sure some adults find it to their liking.

4. HA! This made me laugh loudly, and snort! :-P (HaHAHAHAHA on why the hummingbird is there!)
    I LOVE your CD cover the best!!! :-D Your cover would be the only reason I’d buy THAT CD! ;-)
    I love Dean Martin AND Ricky Nelson’s voices! I watch Rio Bravo and Sons of Katie Elder at least once each year. Yes, I like (old and new) westerns a lot!
    Dean was my mom’s generation, and Ricky was in my oldest sister’s generation…but I heard their music as a little girl. So, sometimes I still listen to them.

I aim to entertain, and thanks.

Rio Bravo I like a lot for the mix of humor and action (and a whistle my wife and I still use when we want to call each other without yelling out names). Never warmed up to the SoKE as it has more complex themes (I’m a simple-minded person). I mean, I liked it, but not moved to rewatch it.

Rio Bravo and Support Your Local Sheriff are the two older westerns I still watch. Silverado is a modern western I’ll rewatch. I liked Open Range but don’t rewatch often.

5. joshi daniel says:

hehe
    but your work is nice :)

6. As this challenge is supposed to inspire you to use your creative juices, and best of all, inspire you to do what you want, you nailed it.
    Even not knowing nor liking it, you made a great cover.

7. disperser … I really thought you were going to make the “dude’s hair” red. That would have been wild. Creative. But, I’m betting you would have been happier if you had to design a cover for Dean Martin. Great tune, BTW. ;-)

Yup, I like the new cover! And what a treat to hear (and see) one of my all-time favorite songs/movies. Plus, had to chuckle at Walter Brennan’s “new” language (sounded like German).