CoS Mill Outlet Fabric Shop – Part Two

We now get into the actual fabric in the fabric shop.

20150523_111252_DIGI

Honest, as much as I see different cloth items, I am amazed at the sheer volume of choices one has when deciding to make something out of cloth.

20150523_111259_DIGI

I’m only going to cover a few here because there are just so many and I’ve already decided I should split them up in multiple posts . . .

. . . I should probably group them by category, but as I wandered about the store so you too will wander with me as I present the photos in the sequence of their capture. By the way, in case it’s not obvious, these are all from my Samsung Note II, a now antiquated (based on the accelerated product cycle we live in these days) but still capable smartphone.

20150523_111342_DIGI

Also by the way, I decided to stop watching Chinese movies. Last night I watched The White Hair Witch of Lunar Kingdom. Like many other Chinese dramas, usually set in semi-historical times, the production value was very high, the women were strong, the leading men were unimpressive, and the story engrossing . . . until the end. Spoiler: no Chinese movie I’ve watched has ever had a happy ending. In fact, not even a so-so ending. From my Western-born-and-raised perspective, the endings are always what I would classify as Foxtrot depressing.

Understand, I watch movies and read books primarily to escape the suckiness of life. By that, I don’t mean I have a sucky life, but rather that life all around me looks like it sucks, and it gets depressing and disheartening. Entertainment, to my thinking, should aspire to present how things should be if this were a just world, if good people were rewarded for being good, if bad people were punished for being bad, and if Taco Bell did not exist.

The Chinese desire when it comes to entertainment, as far as I can tell, tends toward the heroic . . . but depressingly tragic in its totality. Sure, there are pretty costumes, stuff that looks a bit (but not quite) like this . . .

20150523_111355_DIGI

20150523_111409_DIGI

. . . and people able to defy gravity while swinging swords and lances and wearing flowing attire, but when it comes to life, they are basically and summarily screwed.

After watching these movies, one is left, as I was last night, not hopeful or content but rather depressed and distraught. You see, the actors make you care for them, and then . . . well, let me put it like this. Imagine you are watching a humpback whale and her calf, marveling at the beauty and pureness of the moment . . . and the next instant a pack of killer whales eat the calf alive as the mother tries in vain to protect it . . . and then they also kill the mother . . . and then they hunt down any related whales and kill them too, not to eat, but for sport.

Chinese movies are a lot like that, only a bit more depressing.

The message in all these movies seems to be: life sucks, and then it gets worse, and then you die. Like I said, it’s a peculiar Chinese predilection that has them churning out literally hundreds of similar movies. I get the feeling there are no happy and hopeful people in China. Or, if there are, they watch these movies to shake those feelings right off.

Hey, more cloth . . .

20150523_111426_DIGI

20150523_111436_DIGI

Lest you think it’s all greens and yellows and reds and flowers . . .

20150523_111536_DIGI

20150523_111613_DIGI

20150523_111634_DIGI

20150523_111645_DIGI

Oh, I meant to tell you . . . I almost forgot I am going to Viable Paradise XIX . . . I mean, I remember, but as the initial group enthusiasm dies down, so has my immediate awareness of it. Mind you, I’m sure my enthusiasm will awaken as the date draws near. For now, I have to be content with reading about writing.

Specifically, I came across this piece on Visual News about how five famous creatives (yes, and adjective as a noun) prep for projects.

Hey, this is a nice sequence of colors . . .

20150523_111752_DIGI

. . . as is this . . .

20150523_111759_DIGI

Yes, there are a few patterns in there, but not as many as in this next sequence.

20150523_111809_DIGI

Anyway, the Visual News bit . . .

I only knew one of the “creatives’, Pablo Picasso. Well, I did not actually know him; I knew of him. Something about distorted and unrealistic drawings of people. Apparently, folks like that sort of thing. I’m not sure I could do the same in writing, having words every which way and with different fonts and backward.

The only advice I could relate to was by a writer I don’t know (there are many).

VNElizabethGibert

The thing is, that’s the sort of advice one can follow only after one is a “famous creative”. Me, I have to beg people if I want them to read my stuff . . . and I’m not good at begging.

Anyway, I have just a few more photos before I send this to the “schedule bin”. These two photos are of two separate aisles . . .

20150523_111833_DIGI

20150523_111908_DIGI

. . . and these next two photos are of more interesting colors and patterns.

20150523_111847_DIGI

20150523_111958_DIGI

I know what you’re thinking. It’s “Damn, how many more photos does he have? How big was this store, anyway?”

Some of you might not use ‘damn’, substituting ‘gosh’ instead. Regardless, I’m not quite halfway through, but close. And it’s not that the store is gigantic; it’s that it’s well organized with material in every nook and cranny.

Sometimes the endcaps would show materials arranged in patterns . . .

20150523_112018_DIGI

. . . and sometimes there would be a single piece of cloth on display . . .

20150523_112133_DIGI

That’s right, it’s not just patterns . . . there are also vegetables (and other food items) . . .

20150523_112037_DIGI

. . . and various themed objects . . .

20150523_112110_DIGI

Will the fun never stop? Not for a couple of more posts, anyway.

I think I’ll stop here and let you, my dear readers, soak in what I have presented so far. More tomorrow.

This entry was posted in Creative, Musings Stuff, Photography, Photography Stuff, Stuff, Writing Stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to CoS Mill Outlet Fabric Shop – Part Two

1. renxkyoko says:

Funny about Chinese movies. I don’t like tragedy, either. There’s too much tragedy in real life so I watch movies to entertain myself, meaning, happy endings.

Yeah, I prefer things getting resolved to more how things should be than how things actually are. If I want to feel miserable I can watch the never-ending elections, the never-ending war, the never-ending destruction of our environment, the never-ending supply of rear orifices . . . the list goes on.

2. seekraz says:

“Gosh, that’s a lot of fabric….how big is that store, anyway?!”

Visually appealing, Emilio….nicely presented….anyway…. :)

Thanks . . . I know it’s not everyone’s jar of Nutella, but I like the patterns and colors, and I can hide opinions in them patterns and colors knowing most people won’t read them.

I have a Picasso story, too. Picasso, unlike most artists, attained quite a bit of fame and celebrity during his lifetime. So much so that he started to pay for everything he bought with checks because he knew most people wouldn’t cash them but rather keep them because he signed them. I tried the same thing but it didn’t work for me.
    My mind boggles at the selection available to folks shopping for just the right pattern and color.

A precursor to modern day endorsement deals . . . you get the stuff for free just for saying you use it.

And yes, we are a long way from achieving anything like that. I fear I don’t have enough time left in my life for that to even be a goal. The best I can hope for is that when I write a check they don’t ask me for an ID, take my fingerprints, and ask me for collateral.

4. After seeing all that fabric…all the choices…aren’t you amazed that women can go in and look around and actually make a decision and come out with some fabric?!
    I love looking, touching, buying, and creating! :-)
    I look forward to more photos!

5. PiedType says:

What a delicious collection of eye candy! I saw some in there I’d love to have somewhere … on something.

6. mybrightlife says:

Do these movies you watch or rather watch no more, have subtitles?

Most of them do, some are dubbed. If they make into the West they are typically dubbed.

Even if they are, I often prefer reading the subtitles as I get the original tonal inflection of the actors.

• mybrightlife says:

Yip..dubbed can be pretty scary.

• mybrightlife says:

In the early days of the introduction of TV to South Africa (mid 70’s I think) the few hours a day of broadcasting had to be spread evenly between our two official languages, English and Afrikaans, so some of the really fun TV like Bonanza for example was dubbed. Of course there were only a few afrikaans people involved in the process so one would watch different shows with the same voices over and over…quite frustrating ..

I’ve heard both good and bad dubbing. But subtitles can also be annoying, especially when I know a little bit of the language (or, in the case of Italian, I’m fluent in it) and the words I read are not what I heard on the screen.

Also, occasionally the subtitles are not properly formatted and are difficult to read, or even go outside the frame.

My Fire tablet has a problem where if the subtitles have more than one line, the second line is very tiny and unreadable. It’s an old model, but still . . . annoying.

I’ll also occasionally have the subtitles on for English language movies/shows, especially British ones. They modulate their speech, and often the volume trails off at the end of the sentence which, combined with the various accents, can make me miss words.

Hollywood is not immune either; often, the soundtrack overpowers the spoken words.

. . . First World problems can be so annoying . . .

OMG, thanks for the WWTW video. I’m still wiping my tears . . . haven’t laughed so hard in a while. OK, now back to the post.

This fabric selection is more to my liking, so thanks for providing visual treats to stimulate my imagination. As for the Visual News link, I recognized Elizabeth Gilbert because of her success with “Eat, Play and Love”. And Julia Cameron is one of my favorite authors (I have most of her books).

I’m not a fan of Chinese movies for the precise reasons you gave. But I recently watch the BBC documentary “Wild China” (Netflix) and was very impressed. If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it. It’s mostly about nature.